1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my friend sending me (confusing) signals?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PinkCat, Mar 29, 2017.

1. PinkCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Girls are known to be rather affectionate with each other, and this is true in my friend as well. But there has been a noticeable shift in her usual affection towards me lately. FYI, she knows I like girls, and has known for several months, but her new behavior started recently though nothing new has really happened between us. I generally brush off this sort of behavior from all girls.

I have noticed her touching me more during causal talk, opening up to me more, telling me she loves me more often, and even suggesting we have a future together. I know straight girls do these things all the time with friends, but this has started to feel like she is being less platonic and more romantic. She also wants me to be her prom date. Also, when a friend mentioned in front of us that we should date, or that I should ask her out or vice versa, she never seemed disgusted or laughed or batted an eye or anything. Other straight girl friends I have had would have certainly reacted to such a suggestion.

However, I have always thought she was straight since she has only dated guys, but she has never explicitly stated she was straight. In the past, she has said how she thinks girls and their parts are more attractive than guys and their parts; she followed that statement up with "but I like guys." She doesn't talk about guys much; in fact, I've noticed she shrugs off the topic when someone brings up boys. I don't want to seem like I'm doubting her sexuality or anything; I think sexuality can be fluid in some people, and she has never said that she wouldn't date girls. If she says she's straight than she's straight and I'll respect that, but she has never said that.

If she likes me, it would definitely be a thing I would like to pursue. If not, that's okay too. I'm just not sure if she likes me and is trying to hint at it or is just being friendly, which I believe many other lesbians struggle with too. Thoughts? Advice? Personal stories? Thanks!

2. Really

I don't know. This sounds pretty unambiguous. She's either bisexual or just still getting used to her gayness.

Either way, I'd say it's pretty safe to explore pursuing something with her if she's being sincere. You could always ask for clarification for the things she says.

Her: You should be my prom date.
    You: You mean like an actual date-date to prom?

Her: I find girl parts really attractive.
    You: Like I find girls attractive?

I think if she can't clarify what she's saying or says she's straight, then you need to call her out on it because it's cruel to talk like that to someone who's interested in girls and has no other way to find out if another girl could be interested back other than by what she says.

3. PinkCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you! I will ask her to clarify like you suggested.

4. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If she is interested in you, from what I read it sounds like you two could have a really good relationship. Let us know how it goes!