1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight friends.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gaylor, Apr 1, 2017.

1. gaylor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So all of my friends are straight girls, do you think coming out will have any effect on our friendships. I know they are my true friends will accept me and are very open about this kind of thing. But I still worry that it could throw off our friendships. Mainly because this is something i've kept hidden, I worry that they will feel weirded out/uncomfortable looking at our relationship in retrospect once they know I am a big les.

Can anyone relate?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most straight women wouldn't care, and the ones who do don't matter.

Straight doesn't mean against LGBT. Chances are it won't change things at all.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's kind of a catch-22, but chances are they won't be weirded out unless they already harbor homophobic views.

4. GGod

I totally understand. My best friends are all straight males, and then there's me. My brother Mike is straight and hangs out with us too. And for the longest time they had no idea. I didn't intentionally keep it from them, I just never found the opportune time to come out and say it. And naturally the longer you hang out with a crew, the closer you get. And the worse you feel for keeping a secret, which starts this big circle of keeping it even longer.

However, one day I just...said it. I forget how it happened, it was that inconsequential. Instead of talking about girls, I mentioned finding a guy attractive and they all started asking me questions. Naturally it didn't change my relationship with my brother at all, I was more worried about my friends and how they'd handle it moving forward in our friendship. I just didn't think about it, I didn't specifically mention anything about it afterward and just let them ask me questions about it. And we joked around about it, but at the end of the day, I knew they were cool with me because we've built such an important connection.

My best advice; Do it when it feels right, and you'll know when that will be. It'll come out naturally, but don't be scared. You're your own worst enemy with that. If there is one person in the circle who feels uncomfortable by it, the others will set them straight for you, believe me. It'll be fine, if you trust them.

If you need to talk through it, message me.

#4 GGod, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  5. Thomas88

The Thickest Forest in the entire milky way
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You come out when you are ready. There will be changes, but don't worry it'll be good and healthy for you. If your friends love you, they will be there for you tho teasing will happen from now and then.

6. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started being open when I had 3 male roommates. We're all still the same kind of friends. Nobody made it weird or assumed I was going to make it weird. If they really are accepting, it should really mater.