1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth staying friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Pinky, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Pinky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a close friend that has been treating me like crap the closer I am with her. She is quite selfish and selective to who she treats well...If she doesn't like someone, she is quite rude to them. Usually the reasons are not reasonable...at all. They are usually from a first impression of meeting them...Or not meeting them at all. Just hearing stories about them.

I feel like the longer we have been friends. The more possessive she has been with me. She randomly starts giving me attitude or acts rude towards me. If she is mad about something, she would stop talking to me and ignore me. After she stops staying mad she will start talking to me like nothing happened. I have alway just kept my anger to myself cus I think that maybe she's just going through things that make her act this way. She also gets irritated at me for the smallest things, like if I couldn't hear her say something and she has to repeat herself... She replies to me in such a rude way. When she's in a good mood or chooses to be nice she will be nice to me...

I feel like the amount of times and the rollercoaster of emotions that she has given me makes me bitter on how I view her. It feels like over the many times she has gotten mad at me... It seems so easy for her to just toss me to the side when she is mad. It feels like she doesn't take in my feelings when she does this. Like she knows that I always would start talking to her again if she stopped being mad and started talking to me...I feel like in that aspect she takes advantage of me.

I question if it would be extreme to defriend her but at the same time I don't want to be in this cycle anymore. I constantly feel anger and sadness....Could I have any opinions of how u feel about my situation?

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are ultimately in charge of the situation, but personally I wouldn't put up with it anymore. It sounds like emotional abuse to me. Your friend being nice one minute and pissed the next, when it has nothing to do with you. Sounds like you are getting her emotional fallout. It isn't right and it isn't healthy. Especially considering the way you are feeling now.

Just my thoughts,

Sebby45

3. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Pinky,
    I don't think it's worth staying in this friendship either. Why stay in a friendship that brings you feelings of anger and sadness? And is a roller coaster? Friendship should be a mutual thing that brings us up--and gives us positive feelings. Her behavior is her stuff, whether you choose to put up with it is your call. You say you keep your anger to yourself (I used to do this too...always sort of passive in friendships/relationships.) Keeping any emotion bottled up inside is never a good thing.

It is true that we teach others how to treat us. At this point your friend has learned that she can act in whatever way, mean,rude, irritable, dismissive, and you will still be there.

I think the fact that you are asking the question about whether this is worth it means you are at the point now where you know it really isn't. I would want to break this cycle too!
    This doesn't mean you can't be friends again in the future. Sometimes friends need a break (even a long one) because something isn't working in the friendship--and sometimes we can come back together with friends later on. People grow and mature through the years. Anyway, for now I would say you deserve more than a friend who treats you like this!

4. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey there,

You are enabling her like Moonsparkle says that we teach others how to treat us.

You could just let her know you dont like her attitude towards you, and that you find it hard to deal with at the time..

Think of you!

If it is to much for you right now. You dont owe her an explanation any other then that you need some time to think things trough. And perhaps that its about the way she treats you. That you need time. Do what you feel is right and what you can do. I say this because I have been treated bad and my downfall was also that I would pine and ache over stuff like this to much. Not sure if that is something you do, but just in case I wanted to share anyway :slight_smile:

Claim your time, and u will also see how real this is friendship is if you really want her close, friendship should be able to survive a fight/conflict/bump and plus, it does not seem like a friend to me either. It looks like emotional abuse.

I completely agree with Moonsparke and Sebby45