1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible mutual crush between me & a friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by whiteferrari, Apr 6, 2017.

1. whiteferrari

hey, first time poster here. i’ve been in a situation that’s been eating me alive for a while now and i’m in the closet, nobody knows about my sexuality so i really don’t have anybody to talk to when it comes to this particular situation. so i figured i’d turn to this forum, hopefully you all can give me some advice.

i’ll try to explain this the best that i can.

so, i make music. i first started putting music out when i was in high school (i’m 21 now) and there’s some other local creatives that have been making things since then as well. singers, rappers, photographers, designers, etc. and a lot of us are aware of each other and are cordial and supportive of each other, but not all of us are super close or anything like that. there’s a guy that designs and does photography, and we would talk here and there just about creative shit and music and design but nothing deep. so one day i’m deleting old embarrassing pictures off my instagram and as i was looking through my photos i noticed that he likes a lot of my photos, photos of me. after that i started to realize how often he interacts with me on social media. just subtle things. which i didn’t really think anything of, but it’s just some of the things that he would like that would be kind of suspect. so anyway, as i said he does design, and he designs clothes and has a little clothing line that he sells to people locally. i dm’d him on twitter one day and said i wanted to support and would buy one of the hats he had released. well that turned into us talking all day, and after that he would randomly message me, kind of reaching for reasons to talk to me it seemed. one day he asked me if i would model one of the shirts he was going to release and do a promo shoot. i agreed, i met up with him and a couple other people that were involved and we did the shoot, nothing flirtatious happened, this was the first time we hung in person and we weren’t alone so i couldn’t really read him like that. so about a month later we did a photoshoot for my music promo, we were meeting another photographer to do this but he came over first and i drove us there and he came back over for a bit after. he seemed pretty nervous, stuttering, shaky voice, wiping his palms on his pants a lot, being kind of fidgety. when he came over for a bit afterwards my parents and brother were gone, and i don’t know if i’m psyching myself out but i feel like i felt some sexual tension in the air. but, nobody made a move, we talked for a bit and he left. so things went on with these random reasons to start conversation here and there, and the constant social media stuff. really late and night, and really early in the morning he’ll like a hell of a lot of my stuff. it’s almost like he checks my page before he goes to sleep and when he wakes up. again, i could be psyching myself out. so anyway, we’ve almost hung out a couple more times but i couldn’t because i was busy. we’re both in college but the school i go to is far from our hometown while his is very close. so we could only hang when i’m in town. one day i had tweeted that i was in the area, he likes it and then texts me asking if i was in town and if i wanted to do anything. we spend the day texting about plans, and he was thinking about going to this place where i believe you make a painting with a partner or something. not really the kind of thing a straight guy asks his friend to do with him, and not on the first time they really hang alone. it just felt like he was asking me on a date rather than just to kick it like most guys would. we ended up ditching that idea and went bowling. so i picked up him up, the whole time i was driving i could see him looking at me a lot out the corner of my eye. the first bowling place we went to was way overpriced so we said fuck that and just walked around the area we were in at the moment and talked, we really couldn’t find anything to do so for a long time the night was just us either driving or walking around aimlessly and talking. and we weren’t doing anything in but we were definitely having fun enjoying each other’s company. we really have so much in common it’s crazy. when we talk he does keep eye contact pretty much the whole time. but i’m SO bad with eye contact in any situation that i cannot do the same back to him, plus he already kind of makes me nervous so it’s really bad. i’ve heard a lot about people’s eyes being the key to finding out if they’re attracted to you. but anyway, we ended up bowling somewhere else. i got a drink at the bowling alley hoping maybe i would loosen up some and be able to look him in the eyes longer lol. so i eased up a little, but still not enough as i wanted to. we played a couple games and joked around, once again there seemed to be a little sexual tension. it just felt like i was with somebody i liked and that the feeling was mutual. when i dropped him off he told me it was great getting to spend time with me and for me to let him know next time i’m in town. which again, doesn’t seem like something a straight guy would say to another straight guy, at least none of my straight friends would say this to me lol. as i stated before, i get nervous around him. i’ve definitely begun to crush on him, partly because i feel like he’s been trying to send me signals. but i don’t know if i’m overthinking it, or if the fact that i’m crushing is causing me to look at things in ways that they aren’t. i would love to just straight up ask him but i don’t want to potentially ruin our friendship. because at the end of the he’s a super cool guy and we have so much in common. i wouldn’t want to lose him as a friend. but it’s just eating me up not being able to tell what his intentions are. i do know for a fact that he has no issue with gay people. he’s a VERY attractive guy but i’ve never seen him being romantically involved with any female. we’ve also never talked about females at any point, it’s almost like it’s being avoided i don’t know. but anyway, does it seem like he may like me? the story doesn’t really do this situation justice, i’m really good at reading people and i swear this guy just gives me a vibe i’ve never felt from another guy before. is there any kind of normal way to either ask him how he feels about me or for me to tell him how i feel about him? without it being awkward as hell. i really can’t continue to wonder “what if” cause it’s honestly starting to drive me crazy. we’ve only hung out a few times so i kind of feel like i should just hang with him a few more times and feel things out some more.

sorry for this long ass post btw.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey whiteferrari,

Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

From your description, it definitely sounds like this guy likes you and wants to be friends with you. Does he like you ‘that way’? That’s really hard to tell from the actions that you describe. When we have a crush on someone, we often read things into their actions based on how we want to perceive them (i.e. as indications of mutual romantic interest) rather than objectively. Thus we can easily misinterpret an innocent action of someone who likes you as a friend to be an indicator (in our minds) of an expression of him coming on to you. Having said all of that, you said that you really good at reading people and your gut is telling you that there is something there, so there may very well be, but it sounds like you feel the need to move forward to find out for sure because you are crushing on him.

You talk a lot about him staring at you. Have the two of you just locked eyes for a significant period of time? A signal of interest in gay clubs/bars is to lock eyes with someone and smile at them. If they maintain the eye contact and smile back, that’s a good sign of mutual interest.

The fact that you are in the closet complicates things, of course. One of the more direct ways to get a reaction from him would be for you to Come Out to him. Of course that entails that you trust him enough to expect that he will keep your secret, regardless of whether or not he Comes Out to you in return. You said that you know that he is LGBTQ-friendly so Coming Out to him should not harm your friendship with him in the least. In fact, he should have even more respect for the fact that you trust him enough to Come Out to him. If you were to Come Out to him, he would at least know that he has a chance with you if he is gay/bi and he has a romantic interest in you. If he doesn’t indicate to you that he likes you ‘that way’ more directly sometime after that (such as by telling you directly, by simply asking you out on a “date,” etc.), then he probably just wants to be friends.

The only real way to KNOW is to ask him, perhaps asking him something like “hey, I don’t want to offend you, but are you sending me signals that you want to be more than friends?” But you said in your post that you are afraid to do that because you don’t want to ruin your friendship. Plus, it sounds like you are pretty shy around hm. I would argue that if he really is a good friend, he won’t be offended because good friends can and should always be open and honest with each other.

An indirect way to get a better handle on whether or not it’s even possible that he might like you ‘that way’ is if you can discretely inquire of any mutual friends as to whether or not he is gay/bi.

Another indirect way to find out might be to joke with him about it in order to gauge his reaction. Like, perhaps, the next time he’s insistent on meeting with you or doing something with you, you could perhaps joke with him and say “so, are you asking me out on a date?” Or something like “It seems like we’re hanging out more and more. Are we officially a couple?” And if he reacts badly to something like that you can just laugh it off and maybe comment about how funny his ‘offended’ reaction was to your joke (maybe tell him “gotcha!” as if you were intentionally trying to provoke such a reaction from him).

You could also ask just him if he has a girlfriend. If he says, ‘no’, you could ask if he has a boyfriend. (And if, for some reason, he took that badly, you could play it off as a joke.)

If you are uncomfortable with any of that, then, as least, as you said, hanging out with him more should give you more indicators of his intentions in terms of simple friendship vs romantic.

Just some thoughts.

I don’t know if any of the helps…

#2 Quantumreality, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. whiteferrari

i do fear that i'm just reading normal actions the wrong way because i'm crushing on him. but honestly we've known of each other for some years now and i never paid any kind of attention to him until i started getting vibes that maybe he was interested in me. and then my crush for him grew from there. so i kind of got this idea from him before i even started liking him so i feel like i may not be looking at this wrong because i'm crushing but who knows.

when he asked to hang out just me and him, and we finally figured the plans out i almost jokingly texted back "it's a date!" just to see what he would say. but i didn't do it. it certainly felt like a date though. like i said, we've only hung out a few times and we really have to go out of our way to hang out. we're from in the same city but it's a pretty long drive from his place to mine, and we're both in colleges hours away from each other, i can only hang when i'm in town. usually i'll link up with some of my old friends from high school, and it kind of makes sense for us to go to great lengths to see each other because we grew up together and don't get to hang as much. but me and this guy's friendship is just starting to come about, it's just odd to me that somebody that's technically just an acquaintance asks me to hang out and makes time for us to do so. you know? we went to different high schools, he told me himself the first time that he came over that he had never been to the side of town that i live on and he doesn't know his way around the area at all. we don't have that many mutual friends. we don't know THAT much about each other. when we hang out we usually just spend hours talking and getting to know each other. most guys don't go to great lengths to connect with another guy that don't know much about. there's just kind of no reason for us to be trying to be acquainted with each other the way that we are. that's part of what makes me feel like there's something there.

and as far as eye contact, the few times i was actually able to hold the eye contact he never looked away. and even when i do look away, or sometimes when i was never looking at all i can see that he never stops looking at me. and as far as smiling, i got a strike one time, i turned around and looked at him and smiled and once we locked eyes he just started cheesing, one of those smiles that he couldn't hold back, i almost feel like his facial expression slipped out without his control. i can't explain it, but the way he was looking/smiling at me was more than just regular to me, but who knows.

and i do feel like it's a little too early in our friendship for me to come out to him, he might be weirded out by that.

#3 whiteferrari, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2017
  4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey whiteferrari,

I probably should have asked this up front, but what do YOU want to do? Are you only interested in knowing if he has a mutual crush on you? If he does are you willing to date him? Does the idea of actually having a boyfriend at this point excite you or scare you more? Having a same-sex relationship while staying in the closet can be very complicated, especially as the two of you introduce each other in your friendship groups.

As far as Coming Out to him, it is always your choice if/when you Come Out to someone and you should only do so if you feel comfortable with it. I was just throwing the idea out there as a possibility. It sounds like you aren't comfortable with that idea right now. That's fine, but if he is LGBTQ-friendly, it doesn’t sound like he’ll be weirded out by it and, of course, if you’re reading his signals correctly, he’ll be happy to know that you are potentially open to any romantic intentions on his part.

Just saying…

5. whiteferrari

if i do find out that he likes me i would definitely take things further. if he is into guys he's in the closet as well, so i guess he'd be down to sneak around. which i can see becoming exhausting after a while. but i think i would enjoy the thrill of it all. i think if we were to date it would be pretty liberating. i've never been in an actual relationship with a guy but he's definitely boyfriend material lol.

but yeah, he doesn't have an issue with LGBTQ. i know for a fact that one of his friends is openly gay. i just think he would find it odd that i would confess something so serious to him when we've only hung out like 3 times. i haven't even told my closest of friends, or my family. i feel like it would definitely confuse him to some extent.

i do trust that he would keep it a secret, he's a very nice person and i can't imagine him putting me out there like that and telling people about it. i just don't want to do too much too soon and scare him away. one time i was crushing on a girl in my class in high school, i could tell she liked me back, i could have just told her straight up in the beginning, but it was like a 5 month process of feeling each other out until we admitted we liked each other, and it was worth the wait rather than rushing into it. but since this is a same sex thing going on, i feel like me and this guy are more likely to hold back the way we feel so that it's not so obvious. for all i know he's thinking the same things i am and holds back so i don't think he's weird lol. and i'm doing the same towards him. we could both be missing out on something here.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he really is gay/bi and also in the closet, that definitely makes it harder for the two of you to make your feelings known to each other. I'm a big advocate of constant, open 2-way communication in any relationship, but you don't seem ready to be that upfront with him and if he is romantically interested in you, he's not ready to be so upfront with you yet that he tells you how he feels, either.

So, have you decided on a course of action to move forward?

It kind of sounds to me like you want to continue to hang out with him and get to know him better. To me that's never a bad thing. It can help build a solid friendship. (And you can never have too many good friends, in my opinion.) In fact, as I'm sure you know, you really have to be good friends if you want to potentially have a solid relationship. The only down-side of that course of action is that it pretty much leaves you (and potentially him) hanging in terms of defining the ultimate nature of your relationship with him for now.

#6 Quantumreality, Apr 6, 2017
  7. whiteferrari

i'm just afraid of us both being so scared to come forward that our feelings are never discussed, if he does like me that is. but i could see how he would be afraid to tell me if he does. i'm not out, i'm a masculine guy, and unless he can read my nervousness i don't think i've done THAT much to hint to him that i like him. but even without me doing anything there's just this feeling in the air when we're together. i don't know how to explain it. when we talk sometimes i notice halfway through the convo that we're really close to each other physically. one time we were sitting down across from each other and i realized mid convo that we were so close that our legs were almost touching, and we kinda seemed to be leaning forward. during this conversation is when i was able to hold eye contact with him without being too nervous. i had just finished a drink and it calmed my nerves some. and there's times he would come up and say something to me and we would be standing so close to each other you would think we were trying to be quiet and were whispering or something. i've read that that is a sign. this is something we did subconsciously too, cause i honestly didn't notice how close we were at first.

but i don't really know what to do going forward, i'm thinking maybe i'll just be way more flirty next time we hang out. i'm going to really try to bring myself to return all that eye contact that he gives me. i'm hoping that maybe one day the sexual tension will build so much that it can't really be ignored anymore. i do feel like i may end up being the one to confess their feelings though. i can see him being far more intimidated by my potential reaction. i just hope that if he likes me and was trying to tell me last time, that he didn't get the idea that i'm not interested because of my lack of eye contact and overall awkwardness. it's funny though because i can be a very funny, social, and animated person but he just makes me nervous as hell.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL! Yeah, you're crushing on him, whiteferrari.

Honesty is very important in any relationship. If you end up telling him about your feelings for him, you can even tell him that you really want to keep him as a friend even if he doesn't feel the same way because you just enjoy his company.

Doing more flirty stuff could work - say intentionally touch your leg to his if you are sitting near each other and see if he pulls his leg back or leaves your legs touching. But don't get too flirty because if he's straight, you could potentially scare him off if he thinks you can't control yourself.

I wish you all the best and hope things work out the way you want them to!:slight_smile:

#8 Quantumreality, Apr 6, 2017
  9. whiteferrari

yeah i was thinking about doing the leg thing next time we hang out to see what he does. i think i'm going to ask him if he wants to go to the movies next time we hang, good opportunity to try that out.

and thank you!

10. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another flirty thing you could do is compliment him on a couple of different occasions about something you like about him such as some of his clothing, some aspect of his personality, or one of his physical features ("Hey do you know that you have a GREAT smile?!?" or "I really like your haircut" or whatever catches your eye). They should be honest compliments, of course.:slight_smile:

#10 Quantumreality, Apr 6, 2017
  11. CharacterStudy

Can you initiate more messaging/chat when you're apart? It sounds a bit like he's making more of the moves here. What would happen if you phoned him up for a chat one evening, after messaging to be sure it's a good time? You might be able to progress things better by talking in person, and it's a bit more of a step in intimacy. If he sounds weirded out you can say you were bored/weren't feeling great and all your friends have gone out.

You could try finding out if he's single and if he's gay/bi by asking outright "Do you have a girlfriend?" If he says no, say "Do you have a boyfriend?" Or you could try "Have you got a girl - or a guy of course - at college?" to show you're ok with it, or tease him: "You're never in our hometown, bet you've got a girlfriend - or a boyfriend of course - keeping you busy up at college."

Make sure you're not sounding completely hetero yourself - always ask 'are you seeing someone?' rather than naming a gender. Notice how he asks these sorts of questions of you and others. Someone who uses 'they', or 'someone' a lot is either an ally and very sensitive to how things go over, or are themselves LGBT. If a new friend tells me they're seeing 'someone' I will always ask 'oh, is he/she living in x town, or from college?' (all very naturally). Often they then come out to me - but they don't come out to my other half, who only asks heteronormative questions. Frequently he'll report back, 'oh my friend x is still single - I asked if he had a girlfriend', and I'm like, 'really?!' (because same guy's told ME he's got a new boyfriend, but then I asked 'are you seeing (micro-pause), someone?') :slight_smile:

I think if you're not prepared to speak first, but are hoping he might, then you need to make clear he's safe to talk to you, and potentially up the physical/eye flirting a bit. He's doing the running here, whatever it means. See what happens if you make some effort in return.

12. whiteferrari

yeah i was thinking about doing that. he actually complimented my hair last time we hung out lol. i said that i kinda want to dye my hair very dark navy blue on twitter a long time ago. and he brought it up and said that i should do it, and i was saying that i'm not sure if i could pull it off and he said he thinks it would look good. he also said he likes my haircut. nothing crazy, but it's something lol.

13. whiteferrari

took that advice and texted him today and we talked for some hours, i stopped texting back tho haha. i don't want to come off as annoying or desperate.

and as far as asking him about who he's dating, i do know that he's single. it's strange because pretty much for as long as i've known him i've never seen him in a relationship. and it's weird because he's a very attractive guy. regardless of what he's into i'm sure he could get whoever it is that he wants.

but what is interesting is that in all of our conversations, we've been very neutral about what words we use when talking about relationships and stuff. we've never really talked about girls, when we do talk about these kind of things neither of us have specified what we're interested in. so who knows. i'm purposely not saying anything that sounds too hetero just in case he is interested, i don't want to give him the impression that i would rule out a same sex relationship. i don't know if he's purposely avoiding "hetero" talk too or if it's just a coincidence.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IMO, you still are getting to know each other as more than just acquaintances, so there isn't much serious risk in asking if he's dating, and hopefully you could also come out to him so he knows you're open to dating a guy.

15. whiteferrari

yeah we're definitely still in the beginning stages of our friendship, which is why i think he may find it weird if i were to come out to him. i'm not out and he knows that, i'm sure he would question why i'm telling him when there's people i'm closer to. i do know that he's single tho. so i don't know how to really ask, me and him both already know the answer to that question.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even if you know the answer, you would ask the question to bring up the topic. Or, just try to be more obvious that you like him: more compliments on his style and hanging out together. It's a catch-22, but you don't want to drag out a crush on a guy who turns out to be straight.

17. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey whiteferrari,

Here's a question. You said you know that he's LGBTQ-friendly. Have you indicated to him in any way that you are LGBTQ-friendly, as well?

18. whiteferrari

yeah for sure, on social media i'm frequently speaking out on equality for people of color, women, lgbtq, etc.

so i've voiced my support of the lgbtq community and he knows that.

one of the main things that kind of got us talking regularly was our mutual love for frank ocean, he's my favorite artist and we're both huge fans. frank is an openly bisexual singer/rapper if you didn't know.

so yeah he's fully aware that i'm lgbtq friendly

---------- Post added 8th Apr 2017 at 02:37 PM ----------

yeah i guess i could ask, next time we talk about that kinda stuff i'll ask him if he's seeing anybody. i'm going to try to be more obvious about my attraction to him as well.

but you're right, it would suck to drag this thing on and continue to get closer to him while feeling like he likes me only to find out i was wrong the whole time. i'm hoping that's not the case.

19. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool. Then it sounds like the two of you are basically on the same sheet of music - other than the elephant in the room (potential romantic feelings between the two of you).

Have you asked him why he is going out of his way to hang out with you?