1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split feelings for my best friend...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Robishere, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've had this crush for over two years now and it over the course of these two years, we became extremely close. I had feelings for him before becoming close. The problem is that since this has been going on for so long, I sort of developed separate feelings for him...? Let me explain.

Okay so, I had a crush on him and then we became close. This means that my feelings have always been there and that all throughout our friendship I have been hoping that he'll like me as more than just a friend which obviously has not happened and I want him too so incredibly bad, but on the other hand... I really love and enjoy the relationship we have right now. It's really painful.

It's like... my brain is split in two. Half wants him to be more than a friend and wants to express my feelings for him, but the other half just wants to remain friends and not say anything to preserve the amazing relationship we have right now.

Can anyone help me out? I just don't know what to do. I want to tell him about my feelings so bad in order to get over him and move on, but I don't want our friendship to change at all just as badly. :icon_sad:

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please check out my response to your post of March 20 "Should I give up or tell him?"

3. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After posting this I took to an offsite chat and they actually clarified it for me a bit.

I have feelings for him, I really want to tell him, and now I know that what's holding me back is HIS feelings for ME.

The boy loves me (as a friend) more than anyone has before. He takes every chance to spend time with me that he can, even defying his mom's wishes to do so. He has expressed to me multiple times that nobody has ever been such a good and genuine friend to him as I have and the fact that he loves me so much in that aspect is stopping me from making any kind of advancement in the process of getting over him.

Friends can break your heart too and I don't want to break his.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please be careful with that, Robishere.

It sounds like the two of you have some mutual feelings, but it isn't clear where the bottom-line lies. And it doesn't seem that it will be until/unless the two of you talk heart-to-heart.

Is there risk involved in that? Sure, he could be totally offended and tell you that he never wants to talk to you again. That would totally suck, but it's life.

He could also tell you that it doesn't matter and that he doesn't return those type of feelings for you, but he still wants to be your friend.

And, of course, if, as you seem to surmise, he actually has the same feelings for you that you do for him, that would be the best of both worlds.

However, you can assume anything going into this.

Hesistation? Reluctance? For sure. But I would say that you've drawn this out already for almost two years. If you don't get some resolution, you can't move on with your life one way or the other.

Just my thoughts.

I wish you all the best!:slight_smile: