1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved to a big city and can´t make new friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Branconegro, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Branconegro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I just moved to a new city - actually, it happened 8 months ago.

Things are fine, except for one thing: I don´t have friends! My only friend here is in a relationship and we aren´t seeing each other much.

I don´t bother going out alone - I never had problems with this, but the fact is: I can´t make friends and I don´t know what else to do.

I already tried in person and through Tnder, ####### and H[o]rnet - and in these places, apparently, people are desperate to have a boyfriend or they are desperate to have sex. Whenever I tell them I´m just looking for friends, they back off. It really piss me off.

In my profile I wrote that I´m new in town, looking for friends, but they always come to me looking for sex or for relationships (?!).

The city is big - 20 million in metro area -, so there are a lot of gay people, club, bar etc and there are a lot of new LGBT moving here everyday, but still, I can´t sort this out.

I´m really thinking about to accept any date even is just for sex to see If I can make friends with somebody, but I feel disgusted with myself, using people like this.

I realized that I lot of people have Instagram and they are popular and they at least have their connections in those social network and apparently is easy for them to make new friends [they, at least, show to have interesting lives and become popular], but I don´t like these things, especially Instagram which I think is a place full of low self esteem.

What am I doing wrong?

2. Really

I wouldn't say it's wrong. It's just not working for you at the moment.

My advice would be to find a club or meetup that caters to an activity you enjoy. Find something to do. There will be others there who have similar interests which already puts you at an advantage for making friends.

I wouldn't go with your main goal to meet people, because you will automatically, but just to have fun and enjoy what you're doing. The more time you spend with these like minded people, there's a very good chance you'll make friends with them.

Do you have a hobby or something you'd like to learn how to do? Find a group doing that and check them out. If your city is as big as you say it is, I'm sure there are LGBT versions of any number of activity groups.