1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went on a date - why do i feel down?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bingbong3000, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bingbong3000

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys, if you follow my postings on this forum you'll see how ive progressed, from coming out to getting over a crush to searching for a date. Well, today, on the 14th of April, I went on my first ever date. It was with a really really nice guy I'll call K. I have been talking to K over the internet for 7 weeks and we decided a meet up/date in a nice public place would be great. We went to the local 'big city', wandered round, made out, and had a meal. I left it feeling amazing; he was everything id wanted and more. Yet, after a while on the train home, I started to feel sad. That's why I'm here today: Id like to ask you guys a few questions.

1) why did I feel so bad after the date? it went better than I ever expected and I'm really confused as to why I felt down after. Is it something deep down telling me not to continue?

2) this is the most important question. I don't know what our relationship is, and I don't want to be something that I'm not to him. We talk regularly, he doesn't talk to anyone else, and we have had several sexual encounters. However, he told his friend I was just a mate, and he wasn't particularly intimate after the kiss.

2. CharacterStudy

Hi

You've made a lot of progress, but could it be that you were harbouring a tiny hope that you would try dating/kissing/being affectionate with another guy and you'd hate it... therefore not gay. The fact this date went well, when you had time to think about it, meant that yep, you're gay. You like men. You like being with men. You're going to end up with a guy. Your life is definitely not going to evolve along the path you might once have imagined.

If this is the case, that that you have remnant internalised homophobia, you'll need to work on it like everything you've already worked on. My understanding from others is that it's a non-linear process often - so sometimes you find yourself going in circles, or returning to something you thought was sorted.

Alternatively, maybe you fancy him, but your common sense was picking up on some incompatibility. Have a deep think about how you feel about him. But if you walked home feeling like you were floating, with a big cheesy smile on your face, it was probably a good date.

As for Q2. Communication is key in relationships. Maybe he's picking up on your ambiguous feelings, maybe he's not into you as much, maybe he likes to keep things private. You've got to ask him what the two of you are.

3. Rana

Rana Guest

Hello,

I think you're sad because your guy told his friend you're "just a mate" and you perhaps wanted to be more than that by now. It would make me sad too. But don't lose hope just yet, sometimes it takes people longer to know if the relationship will be more serious or not. I know it's hard. I've had my heart broken just like everyone else. I had a friend once tell me that you know you've found "the one" when he/she makes you feel that you're the most awesome person alive. Maybe this will happen for you with your current guy, or maybe you'll end up friends. But think of this....even if this guy is not "the one," staying friends is not a bad idea (if you can be comfortable with that) because you could meet the love of your life through him (i.e. one of his mates, friends, acquaintances, etc.). Stuff happens for a reason, and each broken heart is a lesson. There is someone out there for you (maybe this one, maybe another). Hang in there. ♥