1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad breakup

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by QuinnA, Apr 17, 2017.

1. QuinnA

I kinda dated a guy for around a month last year. Kinda because we never confirmed if we were dating or not but we kissed and hung around with each other all the time.
    It was a really bad relationship for me. We were good friends and he told me he really liked me so we got together but from almost the very start I was uncomfortable with him. I was questioning my sexuality and was in a bad state mentally. Looking back on it he was probably emotionally manipulating me and I kept having anxiety attacks when I was with him. (I think they were anxiety attacks, I would 'shut down', sit there rocking and not be able to move at all. All the while I would be screaming at myself in my head)
    Well we broke up but remained friends for a while, then I messed up and kissed him at a party before the summer. I really regretted it. I went away the next week and we talked for a bit online till I snapped and basically told him to stop messaging me. So for around a month we had minimal contact.
    Then at the beginning of this school year I got together with my current boyfriend. And my ex got really jealous I guess. He started ranting to everyone in my year that I was cheating on him. And when my friends talked to my boyfriend he would say that they were betraying him. All in all he got a group of his friends to hate me. Which I do deserve a bit as I handled the relationship very badly and we didn't end it well. But at the same time it was shitty of him.
    We haven't talked all year apart from when we've been forced to in class. And he used to leave the room if I walked in.
    Despite all this, I still want to be his friend, crazy though it may sound. Would it be too late to try and reconnect with him? Should I even try?
    Thanks for reading this. it turned out much longer than I expected.
    Quinn

2. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that if he was emotionally manipulating you and causing you to get panic attacks, he's probably not a safe person to be friends with. It might not be a bad idea to reach out to make amends with him, especially since you feel bad about how you handled the relationship. But even then, I would be very cautious. Is it really him that you miss or is it perhaps a feeling that you had during the times that you were with him? There are lots of fish in the sea, and he might not be worth your inner peace.