1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Think I Like a Guy, but There Are Some Problems

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mrmarioluigi, Apr 18, 2017.

1. mrmarioluigi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello,

First off, I'll just call this guy 'T' to make things easier.

I haven't seen T since me, him, and a few other students from Spanish class went out to a restaurant to celebrate surviving a 3 hour and 50 minute Sunday class. This was back in mid-December, when the Fall semester finished.

At the beginning, class just started as normal, you know, sitting in a desk and not talking to anyone. But then the professor made everyone go around and introduce themselves. That's how I met the people I went to the restaurant with. I guess they were 'good acquaintances'. That's how I met T.

You know how you see someone somewhere only once, and you notice how good they look? Maybe you think they're attractive? I think that's what I felt, except I saw T every Sunday in class.

He is an art major, so he's pretty much getting an art-related job when he graduates. I guess that's where I got interested in just getting to know him more, because I never met someone who is heading into the art field. I also love to draw.

The day we went to the restaurant I was talking to him about my uncertainty of the future: what major I should do, jobs, stuff like that. He talked about himself and what he wanted, basically telling me to pursue what I enjoy. Then we talked more about me as we headed to the restaurant. I told him that I don't necessarily make friends or talk to people easily, but he seemed to understand and sympathize. I enjoyed talking to him more so than I did with anyone else, to be honest.

I've seen T post a short video on Facebook of him painting, and another in a museum somewhere with other people, and I kind of want to know more about what he does. I heard him say to his friend last semester he was in some art exhibit while in class. My guess was that his artwork was on display. I wanted to go, but he never asked anyone else, and I merely overhead him tell that to his friend.

T always said he sucked at Spanish (to be honest, he had bad pronunciation), but I found it funny whenever he said that. Every time he said that I wanted to give him a compliment to make him feel better, but I didn't. I just smiled to show I found it funny.

I don't even know what I'm feeling to be honest. I feel myself doubting any possibility of attraction. Maybe because it's been so long? I don't doubt anything when I'm alone though. I think to myself, "okay, well maybe there's something there". Then I might get a little excited. I find T on my mind seemingly out of nowhere sometimes. I keep wondering why the hell I keep thinking about it? I don't know if I'm in some denial or what. Or, as I said in one of my other threads, if I'm "shutting myself off" to those feelings.

I've wanted, for a while now, to message T on Facebook just to ask about guidance in the art field, since he seemed to be heading in that direction last we spoke. I keep feeling like that's a bad idea though. I'm not sure what I'm expecting. I guess I want to be friends? Or do I want more, but deny it? This all sounds creepy in my head.

This post is really messing with my brain. I feel such shame admitting this, but I also feel good to write it out and not feel like I'm crazy.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mrmarioluigi,

It sounds like you created this post was mostly for you to put things down in writing and try to work through things yourself and that you pretty much know what you want to do, but that you are just hesitant to do it. That’s cool.

Do you have some specific questions or advice you’re looking for from the people here on EC about this?

I’d just say that there is absolutely nothing that you wrote that should cause you to feel ashamed in the least. Most of us go through what you describe when we are coming to terms with our sexuality.

In terms of T, it sounds like you have crush on him. It sounds like he’s a pretty good guy, so you could simply start by talking to him more and seeing about making friends with him, as you said. Why not try engaging him more in class? If you are interested in art yourself, you could tell him that you thought that you heard that he’s an art major and ask him what kind of art he creates (what medium, what subject matter/themes, etc). Do you know if the two of you have any common hobbies or interests? You said he’s not very good with his Spanish. Are you good enough to offer to help tutor him on his pronunciation?

Just be the real you with him, don’t pretend to be someone you’re not.

I don’t know if that helps…

3. CameOutSwinging

It definitely sounds like you're interested in him but since you're figuring things out about your sexuality, you're not sure how far that interest runs. Do you just think he's cool and want to be friends? Or is it a crush?

I'd say there's no harm in trying to become closer friends with him. Get to know him more. See what feelings develop in you when you're around him. Eventually you will sort of what your interest is there.

4. mrmarioluigi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Quantumreality,

I don't have any questions right now, but I'll be sure to post any if I have! I think I'm looking for advice since this isn't a situation I find myself in... ever!

I may have been unclear writing my op. All the things you listed in your post are things that I could do, but I haven't seen him since December. I remember him saying he was going back to Daytona, Florida (he moved there from Burma) after the Fall semester ended. I have no idea if he's still in New York.

So my problem, and I'm sorry if I was unclear, is that I'm not sure he'll be there for me to reach out to. I don't necessarily want to just talk over Facebook, I actually want to meet with him and catch up. Which is why I think I have a crush because I never really want to catch up with people I used to know. Anyone else and I say "meh". Some people are just an afterthought for me. I knew some people and I never talk to them again. But this guy, I don't know why the hell I still think about him months after I last spoke to him. It's also possible that he won't remember me: my biggest fear. So I feel, in my twisted brain, that it's creepy to reach out to someone you haven't talked to in a while.

Asking him about art is something I would do. We might have some common interest there, but anything else I would have to find out. I feel hanging out with someone is a good way to get to know them more, but again, time stands in my way. If he remembers me, what then? I can message him over Facebook, but I think, deep down, that's not what I want. Even if that's scary to say.

#4 mrmarioluigi, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. CameOutSwinging

Okay, so the first step is you'll have to reach out on FB because you don't even know if he's still in NY. That's kind of a critical step, haha.

If he is still in NY, I'd suggest telling him you heard about some cool art exhibit (do some research, especially if you're in/near NYC, we have tons of cool art exhibits) and you remembered how into art he was so you thought about asking him if he'd want to go check it out. It's pretty innocent, could easily be platonic (so he won't be like wtf is this guy asking me on a date) and if he says yes, you'd have the chance to spend time with him and get to know him more. And if he says no, at least you tried.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mrmarioluigi,

I guess it really depends on what you want to do right now. If he's not even in New York, chances of having a relationship with him right now, even a simply friendship would seem slim.

You could chalk this one up to a lesson-learned about how not to wait the next time you get such feelings about someone.

If you really want to at least follow-up, I think you could find a pretty innocuous way of messaging him on FB. Such as doing like COS said and researching an interesting-seeming art exhibit, then telling him about it on FB and ask if he'd like to go (because you'd like to go, but don't care to go alone and you remembered that you heard that he is an artist or aspiring-artist himself). Or something along those lines. You don't have to mention that you think he's out of town. If he is, he should tell you that he can't attend with you because he is out of town.

That wouldn't be creepy. I mean, short of contacting him out of the blue and telling him that you have a crush on him, I doubt that anything you're likely to say would sound creepy to him - especially since you seem very sensitive to/aware of this.

As COS said, what do you have to lose? If you don't ask, you'll definitely never know, so it kinda depends on how willing you are to just let this go.

Oh, and still thinking about him months after you last talked to him or even saw him is a pretty strong indicator that you have a crush on him.:slight_smile:

7. mrmarioluigi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    CameOutSwinging,

I actually live in NYC, don't know why the info on the left doesn't say so...

I'm horrible at doing research. I know there's a ton of museums, but I guess I'll try looking for an exhibit.

QuantumReality,

Of course I would be too late and learn a lesson from it. Got really pissed reading it, but it's true.

Now that I think about it, I have to visit a museum for my art class as an assignment. I'll try to post a picture of it. Do you two think I could ask him to accompany me then? I would still be with him, or would the idea of an assignment hinder any... relationship progress??

I'll still look for an art exhibit in case you two think it's not that great of an idea.:icon_sad:

Attached Files:

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mrmarioluigi,

I think that would be a great idea (assuming he is in New York and willing to go). You could tell him about your assignment and that you thought you remembered that he was an art major and seemed like a nice guy, so you were wondering if he could go with you and maybe give you his perspective and/or at least be willing to discuss the items on display that are relevant to your class. Then, if you want, you could tell him you'd be happy to take him for lunch, dinner, or simply coffee afterwards as a 'thank you'. If he agrees to this, you could basically have yourselves an undeclared 'date' and be able to spend some quality time getting to know each other.

A key element in starting any relationship is just getting to know the other person.

9. mrmarioluigi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I messaged him. I just asked if he remembered me from the Spanish class. I don't want to ask him about going to an art museum if he's just going to write "Sorry, I don't remember you". I mentioned the professor calling me "Martin", not my name but it was a joke me and my close classmates made last semester by calling me Martin instead of my real name.:roflmao:

I'm freaking out!!!:tears:

10. CameOutSwinging

Look at you going for it! Using the assignment is a great idea! And you sent the perfect kind of message. I hope he responds!

Semi-related, the coolest first date I've ever been on was a guy (who ended up being a little crazy but I'm still crediting him for the cool idea) suggesting that we check out all of the new art exhibit openings that happen every Thursday night here in Manhattan. Usually around like 14 street and 10th ave or so. Not far from the Highline (which, in itself, is an awesome place to go for a hang out/date).

Whatever happens, you did great! I'm impressed! (!)

11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mrmarioluigi,

Try not to get too anxious about this. Remember, you are the only one who is emotionally invested in this right now. He doesn't even have any idea about all of the possible scenarios playing in your mind right now.

And what's the worst that can happen? That things don't end up going anywhere? At least you're making an effort and you're not doing it haphazadly. You've put a lot of thought into this.

To paraphrase COS, 'you're doing great!':slight_smile:

12. mrmarioluigi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your support, seriously. I would not be doing this if I didn't start this thread, so thanks!!!

He remembers me, and we're talking. I think he's busy because he takes a while to respond, but I'm going to ask him to go with me to MOMA. Right now. Strictly friendly, I'm going to make it sound like.

13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mrmarioluigi,

First of all: :thumbsup:

Second, look, you're not lying to him. You are being friendly and really want to make a friend of him. You really have an art assignment and, frankly, his input could be very useful. The ONLY thing you are hiding from him right now is that you might have some romantic interest in him, as well, and are hoping to see if, by getting to know him better, that interest has any possibility of being returned.

Third, I wanted to make a dating idea suggestion that is similar to COS' comment about going to new art exhibit openings. I've always found that going to local festivals (arts, crafts, food, music, ethnic, etc) are always good for just 'hanging out' with someone or for a dating idea. You get one-on-one time to just talk to them and discover/discuss new and interesting things together - thus getting to know each other much better. I'm sure in NYC those kinds of festivals are going on somewhere all the time in the spring/summer/fall.

#13 Quantumreality, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  14. CameOutSwinging

If you check out Time Out NY, they always have a list of free events going on around the city. Now that the weather is getting nice, there will be tons of stuff. Plus like I said earlier there's always something like the Highline, which is an old overhead train track that has been converted into a park. It's really fun to walk the whole thing, it stretches from 14th street to about 34th street, and there's art pieces on it, lots of grass, great views, food carts, etc. And it is literally free as free can be (unless you're buying food, obvi). It is one of my favorite things to do.

I love living in NYC, in case it isn't obvious, haha.

mrmarioluigi, I'm so glad he responded! And he remembers you! Definitely already not the worst-case-scenario! :slight_smile:

15. mrmarioluigi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey guys,

So I'll be posting a little update just so it doesn't look like I didn't follow through!

Today we went to MOMA, and T totally remembered me. We were asking each other how we were doing, what we've been up to, etc.

Since we were looking at art, we didn't talk much about anything other than art. He was trying to help me with my assignment, and holy crap, he knew a lot of art history. I was impressed. We found a few paintings that we both liked, and that's when we were together talking about it. Otherwise we were looking around alone.

I think I was so preoccupied with monitoring my behavior that I made myself dull. I didn't know what to say sometimes. I also felt flustered and intimidated, and I don't know why.

We probably would've stayed longer, but the museum closed at 5:30. Wahh.

He was asking what I'd do now, and I made jokes about going home would be so boring. I guess I unintentionally told him, "hey, I don't want to go yet", because he asked if I wanted coffee. So to Starbucks we went.

I think I relaxed more as we sat in Starbucks, although I still didn't initiate topics to talk about. Shame on me. I still made him laugh a few times, and boy did that make me feel proud. He called me "Martin" again as a joke. Made me laugh.

He knows I'm really damn shy. I told him, and he can tell, as most people can when they talk to me! We somehow ended up talking about dating and stuff like that. He talked about how he missed opportunities to ask girls out, how he's single, etc etc. Either way, I am 100% damn sure he's straight. That's my intuition, but is it too early?

So I tried to bury my rage I felt over my intuition so I could talk to him without having my "something wrong?" face. I'm real upset lol. I'm trying not to think about it. So now as much as I hate it, I can't wait for this crush to end. I sound stupid because it might be too early, but I don't know...

I still don't know if I like him as a friend or as something more. He makes me feel fine. Like really fine. Like nothing's wrong. And, I don't know, I like that. There were also a few times we made physical contact or were close, and that got me excited. A bit embarrassed to admit that.

It was a really great feeling talking about one another, though. He's up for hanging out again. I'll definitely take that up.

#15 mrmarioluigi, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  16. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mrmarioluigi,

Kudos to you, though! I'm so happy that you took the initiative and followed through! :thumbsup: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I’m really glad that you went with him for coffee after the museum. (Remember, I suggested that you invite him for coffee or lunch or dinner as a ‘thank you’ for taking the time to help you out.) I figured that your most direct, get-to-know-him type of conversation would happen over a restaurant/coffee shop table, not in the museum.

It sounds like you were super nervous. Maybe now that you know him better, you can really be more open and just relax around him the next time the two of you hang out.

He sounds like he’ll make an interesting friend, but nothing you wrote seems to give any indication that he might be gay or bi. As your intuition says, he’s probably just straight. Regardless, from your description, he’s a really nice, funny guy and could be a really good friend, unless you are concerned that your crush on him might complicate things for you. You can never have too many good friends!

If you decide to keep hanging out with him, at some point you could just ask him if he’s ever considered dating a guy. From what you’ve said, he seems like he’s at least and LGBTQ Ally, so I don’t think you have anything to worry about if you asked such a question. If he turns the question back on you, you could admit that you’ve thought about it, but you are really just shy and don’t really ‘connect’ with many people to begin with.

Did you follow-up with a FB Message to let him know what a great time you had hanging out with him like that?

17. mrmarioluigi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi Quantumreality,

I didn't follow up. Ack. Mistake right there. However, before I got off the train, I told him to let me know of anything or anywhere we can go to hang out. I really wanted him to know I'm available. Of course, I have to figure out what do next if I myself will message him!

I think he wouldn't make a big fuss if he found out I'm bi. I think it's best if I just say that, feels like the best label for now lol! I think him knowing that can come later, if we keep talking about dating stuff, or along those lines. I wanted to tell him yesterday when we were talking about it!

I think I can manage my feelings to be just friends with him. I hope I won't spiral out of control, but then again, that's not like me! I think I should keep hanging out with him. Find out more about his dating preferences. He's pretty interesting; I don't want to stop talking to him.

#17 mrmarioluigi, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  18. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mrmarioluigi,

I don't think it's too late at all to follow-up. You just went to the MOMA yesterday, right? You can still message him today and let him know that you really enjoyed hanging out with him and that you definitely want to do something like that again soon.

In fact, not messaging him right away was probably a good thing. If you messaged him right away, you might seem a little too eager. Messaging him 24-48 hours later (as in this case) would be pretty normal, in my opinion.

Just my thoughts.:slight_smile:

19. CameOutSwinging

So proud of you that you followed through with this? Did you guys see anything particularly cool at MoMA? I haven't been in awhile, not sure if there are any new exciting exhibits to be on the lookout for.

It does sound to me like he's straight. If you do think your crush won't affect the friendship (as Quantumreality said) then becoming closer friends could be a really good thing for both of you. And who knows, maybe he has some gay friends he could introduce you to!