1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward conversations with new friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mia C, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Mia C

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello,

So I have these new friends, all girls, all hetero and I am bi, but still very much in the closet. I have a boyfriend who knows I'm bi and doesn't mind, but since everyone knows i'm in a hetero relationship I think noone really questions my sexuality.

So I really like these new friends and I have no idea why, but the conversation keeps coming back to the point where they start talking about what it would be like to fancy girls and what difficulties it would come with. It's nice to know that they are 100% acceptant of LGBT people but at the same time it's just super awkward for me, cause they keep talking about all the stuff they can't imagine and try to make up what some things would be like and I'm just sitting there, not saying anything.

I kinda feel like I missed the point where it would have been absolutely normal to just go "Hey, you're wondering what that would be like? No problem, I can tell you". Now after all these conversations it would just be super odd to come out to them. But then again not even my mum knows, so why would I tell these friends I'm only getting to know now? And why the hell do they keep talking about this, anyway? :grin:

Hope you all have lovely days!
    -Mia

2. Really

I'm not sure why they keep talking about it but if you feel comfortable when another chance arises, I don't see why you couldn't say something. If anyone asks why you didn't mention anything before, you could always say you weren't sure they really wanted to know. Or something like that.

As for not telling your mum first, I totally get that. I'm the same way but I've come to realize that the people in situations like this are highly unlikely ever to cross paths with my mom so the info won't circle back, if that's one of your worries. You'll still get to tell her on your own terms and perhaps opening up to these friends, with whom your relationship isn't as important, will give you some "practice" for when you do come out to your mum.

Just a thought. :slight_smile:

3. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am going to ask something odd:

Discuss in a response against yourself if and why and why not you would want to be open about it to either or both your mom and your (new) friends. By far the best way to find your own path and answer is to argument against yourself. (and the easiest way to end yourself up with a headache, lol)

Regards
    ~about a quarter of your dinner. (Well, if you had potatoes at all, cringe...)

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just find it very odd that your friends are having these conversations in the first place. Maybe say "you're bored and let's change the topic"?

I wouldn't necessarily say anything, especially since these are new friends. Wait. Anyway, that is my opinion.

Sebby45