1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking ties with family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ash24, Apr 30, 2017.

1. ash24

I know, when my family find out that I'm a lesbian, I'm out of there. They've made it so clear that if I was a lesbian they would be disappointed, embarrassed and would want me out of there. To make it worse, I'm Indian, so when they find out, I will be shipped off to India with no way out of an arranged marriage.

They are getting suspicious now that I am part of the LGBT community and I always have to shrug it off as if me being a lesbian isn't possible.

I'm 15 and they are already talking about marriage. According to my family, my significant other has to be a man, that's for sure no way around it and Indian. They are so strict that if I marry or even in a relationship with someone who isn't Indian, I'm dead. Literally.

Also, I have depression, and being around my family makes it worse. I can't go to a therapist because I'm not allowed out the house without someone with me. The only few times I am is for half an hour only.

My family also abuses me. Mainly my dad, but also my mum. My sister just makes everything worse by telling them things that I ask her to keep secret. She also makes things up and they never believe me, only her.

Here's an example:

I was walking home from school and I got beaten up by a group of men. They didn't do anything else luckily, but when I told my sister what happened and how they cracked my phone, she goes to my parents and says that I tried to break it myself. They believed her.

When thinking about going to university, I think by how far it is from where I live at the moment. It's killing me living like this and I can't tell anyone because the last time I did it ended badly. I'm getting suicidal thoughts thinking about the only way of escaping. I don't know what to do and I have to live like this until university, which is two and a half years away, and even then I have to come back home. I know the only way they can know if after I have my own house and a stable job, but I'm losing hope. What can I do to carry on until I'm away from them?

2. Cortana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey I'm sorry for you and your shitty family.
    I think there is no way for you to tell your parents about your sexuality, at least while you're living with them.
    I have a similar problem with my family and honestly I feel like it's killing me but talking about it to a friend who you realy can trust helps. Or even talking about it here might help.
    I just can say that you have to be strong and play along. Try not to giving your sister a reason to tell your parents a lie.
    I found out about my sexuality when I was around 14 and there was no way to tell my parents ether. I had to deal with depression and selfharm 'cause I was afraid that if I admit my feelings, things would change into a very bad direction. I didn't told my parents until today but I talked to a few trustworthy friends, and it realy helps.
    Over the years I learnd how to "stay alive" around my parent by pretending I belive in there mind even if I'm clearly not.
    Get them to trust you a bit more so you get a bit freedom, even if it's just a quarter of an hour longer to stay outside. If you don't know how, ask me I will help you at anytime with anything.
    Don't let them break you! You are your own person, wait for your life to begin in a few years when your finally able to move out.
    Very big hug (*hug*) and stay strong !