1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncomfortable w/ Same Sex PDA. HELP!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by iguessimme, Apr 30, 2017.

1. iguessimme

About 7 months ago, I came out as bisexual to my friends. 4 months ago I found a girl I am absolutely in love with. About 2 months ago I came out to my mother. She was...unsettled. She doesn't tease or bully me about it or treat me any differently, but she doesn't believe bisexuality exists, and she just believes I am a lesbian.

Anyway, the issue I have is the fact that I am very uncomfortable showing PDA with my girlfriend. If anyone asks me, of course, I'll tell them I'm bi, and won't have any shame. My girlfriend has had relationships with girls before, but never guys, and she identifies as questioning. But whenever she tries to hold my hand or hug me in public I become extremely uncomfortable and feel as if everyone is watching us. I feel that is the reason we have become more distant lately. I feel terrible, since I really do love her, and have never had an issue with PDA with any boyfriends I have ever had. My school is a pretty safe environment for LGBT+ kids, with a handful of gay guys, 3 lesbians, and loads of bisexual kids. There are even 4 trans kids. I just don't understand why I can't feel free to show my affection in front of other people, even our friends, especially when everyone is accepting of me. :help:

2. riley02

From what i can tell by reading this, you don't feel comfortable showing affection with your girlfriend out in public. What I would do if I was in your position is I would look for the source of what causes you to feel this way. Have you ever judged others for showing pda, have your friends ever said something negative about the LGBT community, or maybe it could even be because of your mother. You said she doesn't believe in bisexuality. Do you think you could be ashamed of who you are because of your mother so you try to hide it in public. These are all things you need to think about and from there you can try to overcome it. My advice would be to to be yourself and if you love her don't be afraid to show it.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am also unfortable at showing PDA, but I've always had issues with self esteem and anxiety. I always feel like people are watching me, and that feeling doesn't always feel good.

I do have the fear that someone is going to say something to me in public (something negative obviously), or attempt to show physical violence to me when I'm with my boyfriend. I'm still trying to be more comfortable showing PDA with my bf, but he's also a shy person in general so it's something we both struggle with.

Granted, ever since we've been together, I've been showing more PDA spontaneously without thinking about my surroundings and what people might say. So there's been improvement for sure, and that's always a positive thing :slight_smile:

#3 Jax12, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people just aren't PDA fans in general. I would feel uncomfortable with it even if I was straight and dating the opposite sex just due to my private nature.

If you feel differently about it depending on gender, then you may need to analyze yourself more. If everyone is accepting, there is no reason to fear any violent reactions.

5. Really

What about when you're away from the people you know? Like if you're out and about? Do you mind it as much if nobody around you knows you? Maybe you could do little bits of it where you're comfortable until it gradually becomes comfortable everywhere.

6. iguessimme

For reasons unknown, I feel even more uncomfortable showing PDA when we're away from people we know, like when we go to the mall or on walks. If we're just at a small gathering with all of our best friends, at their house or something, there's no problem showing PDA whatsoever; but for some reason if we're physically in public, for example, waiting in line to get our food at a pizza place, and she tries to grab my hand, or wrap her arms around my waist, I can feel heat rising into my face, almost as if I'm embarrassed.

7. Adhafera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It might be because you're afraid of other people's judgement or potentially negative/aggressive reactions?
    Like when you're with your friends you know you can trust them and they won't judge you for being affectionate with your girlfriend, but if you're in public you don't know how people are going to react so it causes more discomfort.

Even if you live in an accepting environment, it doesn't completely shield you from societal homophobia, which could be putting pressure on you or causing you to feel ashamed or unsafe.

The most important I think, besides pinpointing the reasons you're uncomfortable with PDA, is discussing this honestly with your girlfriend. Have you told her what you've tod us? I'm sure she would be understanding, and even reassured​ if you did!
    I have no relationship experience so take my advice with a grain of salt but having an open conversation about your boundaries and feelings regarding this situation would probably help at least with the distance it seems to have put between you.

Don't beat yourself up. If I understood correctly she's the first girl you've ever been in a a relationship with so it's pretty new to you. Like Really said, maybe you can try a gradual approach. Baby steps and all that :slight_smile:

8. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, gotta ask... What is PDA in this instance? I know it to mean Personal Digital Assistant.

9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you told her this? It's probably good to say something, and to say that you wish you could get more comfortable with it. That second part is important, otherwise it sounds like you're laying down an unchangeable rule, which if I were here would bum me out.

Also what other posters have said: it's early. Things change. People grow.

@akari: PDA = Public Display of Affection