1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crush on my friend...what to do

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by starmotive, May 1, 2017.

1. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know where I'm going with this post, but I need somewhere to talk about this.

I was planning on telling my best friend that I have feelings for her but I chickened out and instead i probed the subject and asked whether she thought it was a good idea for friends to date. She tried her best to help me, like she always does, but the thing is, she was asking me questions about the person I like, not knowing t was her. It was so awkward cause if/when I do end up telling her that I like her and she remembers this questioning I'm worried things might get weird...She asked me things like is it a best friend or just a friend friend and how laid back is the person and while I was honest in my answers I fear that she thinks someone else is my best friend??

It's funny though, because I've never explicitly told my parents who my best friend is, but even they somehow know that she's my best friend. But I don't think I do a good enough job of showing her that she's my best friend, that I appreciate everything she does for me. I've told her time and again that she's my best friend but i don't know if she really gets it? She doesn't see how amazing she is and that causes me more pain that anything else. I just want her to know that there are people who are there for her, who care for her.

Like I don't think it would bother me that much if she doesn't like me back, but I think it's important that she know I like her, not only because I don't want there to be any secrets between us, but also because I want her to know that she's not alone, that there are people who, dare I say, love her.

She gave me a whole bunch of advice on what to do about the friend I like, one of which was that maybe I wanted to sit on it a bit and see if I still like the person. While I agree that that's good advice, she doesn't know that I've been sitting on this for a few months already and my feelings for her haven't changed. But now I fear that if I tell her, she'll think that if was a gut decision and that I didn't think it all the way through.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that sums up everything well. If you are not afraid of rejection, why not tell her? Tell her what you said here. That she is not alone, that "people" love her. If she is truly your best friend, she should stick by you even if her feelings are not returned. Otherwise, you will always be wondering, "what if?"

Just my thoughts...you are the one to ultimately decide.

Sebby45

3. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not so much 'why not tell her' as 'how do I tell her'. I feel like when I asked her what she thought about friends dating I ruined the opportunity to tell her that I like her and now I don't know how to approach it again without it seeming really awkward...

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry I didn't catch that. Maybe try to bring up the conversation again? I know that would probably be awkward too, but it is an opening.

Sorry I can't help you more. :frowning2:

Sebby45

5. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

6. idsm

Send her a link to this topic. :grin:

7. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oooh no. no no no no no

I would die if she ever saw this. Down the road it may be something I can laugh about, but right now I would rather crawl up in a hole and die if she ever knew about this :O

8. Lackey

Well, I wouldn't say that the person isn't really a friend if she becomes uncomfortable with finding out that her best friends has romantic feelings for her. For some people, it could feel like they are being burdened and it might make them feel bad that they can't return their friend's feelings or even that they are leading their friend on. It's just not always black and white and if it creates distance, I wouldn't be quick to judge the best friend. I prefer to give everyone in the situation empathy and understanding.

#8 Lackey, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  9. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see where you're coming from, which is why I started out by asking my friend what she thought about dating friends. To quickly recap: she thinks it could work out and that I should tell the person that I like them if I trust them enough to not be dramatic about it or make it worse and have it blow up in my face.

While I do trust her enough and am pretty sure she won't hate me for it or anything, I hadn't really considered the burden that she might feel if she doesn't like me back.

I've kind of been in my friend's position before, having someone tell me they liked me and I didn't return the feelings, but I never felt any kind of burden per se. I mean I empathized with them that I didn't feel the same way, but I never felt bad about it?

I get that everyone has a different reaction though.

That being said, would you take the risk and tell a friend you like them, knowing that you might be transferring your own burden over to them?

Every time I think I've made a decision about what to do something always comes up and makes me rethink everything again. It's so complicated *sigh*

10. Minaethiel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi jjprentiss, something like this happened to me too, my friend ended up understanding I had feeling for her herself, but when she asked me, at first I denied it, as I was afraid things between us would change. All she was afraid of was to have given me the wrong hints, so to say. She said she wouldn't have been awkward about it or walked away just for that, 'cause if someone special to her as I were loved her, it would have meant a lot to her, even if she didn't like me back. Of course she would have been sorry she couldn't be with me and make me happy... Anyway, when some times passed she asked me again and that time I didn't deny it, and she said she realised she felt something too, so maybe she was just a little bit confused and her words were influenced by that fact. I mean, every situation is different, so I'm not here to tell you 'do like this as for me it's worked', 'cause several other times it didn't :grin: but I think that, if you want to confess to her (and you have given quite a noble reason to do it if you ask me) tell her exactly that. That you like her and you can't keep it to yourself anymore, that you sure want to know if it's reciprocal, but mostly you don't want any secrets between the two of you, and you want her to know that she is such a special person that someone like you can love her that way. That you want her to know that best friend you talked about is her, and that you were only insecure about how telling her. Then reassure her not to feel guilty if she doesn't like you back, that what you want the most is that the two of you stay close no matter what, that you can work on it together, but you thought that she deserved to know that somebody loved her and that that somebody is you. And I know that's not this easy and that I'm probably saying stuff you already know (as I told you I was the first to chicken out :lol:slight_smile: but I still think honesty is the best way. I wish you luck!

11. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't mind me asking, was that something she told you right away after she asked you if you liked her or were things awkward for a while?

I'm glad it ended up working out for you and your friend!

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: Your story comforted me a lot to know that I'm not the only one in this situation and that it worked out for you! I'd like to think that I'm not chicken but in these kinds of situations I am lol

12. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would do something like bringing up the same situation again. "Remember when I talked to you about the person I like? Well...."

If you're not afraid of rejection, then it shouldn't be a huge issue. I've been in your shoes before, so I understand what you're going through.

13. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since she suggested that I sit on it (even though I have been sitting on it and I'm sure of what I feel), do you think it seems too much like a gut move that hasn't been thought through properly if I tell her relatively soon, say in the next month or so?

Can I ask what happened in your situation?

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to give it some time, then you can. It might make it a bit less awkward than doing it next meeting, but you also want to do it sooner rather than later to get your answer.

As for me, I got rejected. We stopped talking for about a week so I could sort my feelings of the rejection out, but then it went back to normal. This happened two years ago and we are now celebrating 10 years of friendship this summer. So I couldn't say it was all bad.

15. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the insight and thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

16. Minaethiel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'Course I don't mind, if I can somehow help just ask

Well, let's say we used to joke a lot, pretending to flirt. The problem was, when she did that, I didn't know if she was jocking or not. One weekend I had a fight with my boyfriend, we were supposed to go on a trip to Florence and it seemed he couldn't make it. I was upset, and I told her how much I would have liked to bring her instead (me and my bf had been fighting for a while, plus I was sure I was in love with her and so I didn't want to be with him even though he said he would come). I told her how special she was and texted soomething that really resembled a poetical declaration of my feelings for her. At first she didn't mind, she was actually really pleased, but then for the rest of the week she texted me in a cold, strange way. She wasn't rude or anything, it just wasn't like her, with me. I asked her a couple of times if something was wrong, but she said politely that everything was fine. At that time I was fearing she found someone she liked and therefore didn't want to flirt or make that kind of jokes with me anymore, and that really felt like I got ice in my stomach, but of course it wouldn't be her fault... When I came back she told me we should talk, and then she asked me if I liked her, I said no, and she told me that she had been cold 'cause she thought that she gave me some hints and made me believe things that weren't true, and so on. After that, things were practically the same, until she went completely mad of jealousy for my boyfriend :grin: and she realised that she lied to herself, too. Sometimes we hide out feelings for the sake of our friendship, or because we are scared of getting hurt, you know, but in that way we never know what would happen or how happy we could be. That was an year ago, and we're still together, while I bless the day she asked me a second time if I liked her. I think that if things have to work out in that sense between you two, they just will, otherwise, you will love each other very much as friends as you always did, until you'll move on. Trust me, I think falling for your bestfriend is the most common thing that could happen, 'cause they're someone we have a special connection with. I have had a couple of minor crushes over friends, nothing serious like this one... But it was clear they weren't interested, even without me asking them. Plus, we didn't have that special 'something' that made me think, they deserve to know. After a while I forgot about them, but I still loved them as good friends.

Yes, at first it might hurt if she doesn't like you back, but I can understand that you value your friendship very much, and therefore I'm sure you'll both be able to figure it out :slight_smile:

oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that the first thing I told her was that even if I fell for her it didn't mean it was her fault or that she should have felt bad for not loving me in that way

#16 Minaethiel, May 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  17. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were you and your friend both out/comfortable with your orientation when you admitted your feelings to each other?

Cause I'm semi-comfortable with myself at the moment (I'm out to the people I wanted to tell, but I've never been on a date with a girl) and my friend is questioning. I don't think either of us are in the best place for a relationship at the moment, but I do think it's the right time to tell her about my feelings, if that makes any sense. But I'm afraid that telling her my feelings will shove her back into the metaphorical closet or scare her away.

18. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All I can say is that I had been in a loosely similar situation, I told my crush how it felt, and even though he didn't feel the same way, we've actually become closer friends as a result.

19. Minaethiel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well she had a girlfriend before me (one month long story), she is quite shy so she didn't really tell me 'I like girls' if not practically after we got together, but all of us knew, even tough it was something like 'she had a girlfriend, so she's probably a lesbian but it's not official'. As for me, I have been wondering about myself since I was 14 or so, I was quite scared of being gay or bi 'cause my mom is pretty homophobic, so I just told myself 'When you'll really find a girl you love, you'll worry about it'. She's the one who outed me basically (I'm 20 btw, and she's 21).

20. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the insight and advice everyone! I'm taking everything you've told me into consideration. I hope that when I do tell her I won't have a horror story to tell you guys :eusa_shif