1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I REALLY need to talk to someone about this.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bluneighborhood, May 1, 2017.

1. bluneighborhood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something that's been eating me up for a long time, and I just need to get this off of my chest.

I am petrified of growing up and leaving home.

I'm only fourteen and not even in high school yet but the thought of leaving my family and friends and being alone is always on my mind and I can't stop it.

As a child, I had this problem too. After my sister died, I was SOOO scared of my family and myself dying and being alone. My mom described it as me " going insane, " and I was put in therapy.

Now it's a bit different.I'm just so scared of being alone and, well, graduating. Whenever I see seniors graduating, they all seem happy and ready to leave home. I fear it so much and I don't know what's wrong with me. My mind goes to these dark places (not always about this specifically) and crying has become almost a daily thing for me.

I hope someone understands and can help. Thank you.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was a senior I was terrified of leaving school and family. I dreaded it more and more the closer graduation came. It turned out that I got to live with my family for awhile after school ended, but eventually had to move out on my own.

I have an apartment and for the first year I cried a lot. I had a really hard time adjusting and I didn't get to see my family as much (I never really had close friends.)

Two years later and things are better. I still have days where I miss my loved ones and feel lonely, but it is much better than it used to be. I guess time has had a lot to do with it. You kind of become resigned to your new life. Or maybe I should say you learn to cope better. So, I understand what you mean. It is difficult, no denying, but it is possible to have a good life post school in the adult world.

This post really throws me back. I used to be a lot like you.

Don't worry, things will unfold at the right time.

Sebby45

3. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! First, I donvt think that's insane at all, your reactions seem very normal given your circumstances. Coming from someone with ptsd. Second, it's more than understandable that flying (or being nudged) out of the nest is scary, not only for, I think, most people, but again, given the circumstances.

I was terrified to move, and I hadn't had experiences like yours (other trauma, but not getting into it), my mom was great, she and I both knew I had to move out and that was the best thing for me, but I was virtually paralyzed with fear, she had to basically hold my hand the entire time. Not complaining, I really am grateful she did that. And, it took alot of time (and I'm still learning), but I slowly find more ways of coping my anxiety and ptsd. I don't mean to sound like a martyr who knows it all, I'm still struggling and finding new ways to manage.
    But, case and point, that's normal, even with your experiences.

---------- Post added 1st May 2017 at 09:25 PM ----------

And many apologies for all the spelling errors, i'm on my phone :frowning2: I promise I type better on my computer

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you talked to a professional counselor about this?