1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I screwed it up

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Al92, May 1, 2017.

1. Al92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys and girls.

Just want to write a little about an issue I've been into since last week more or less.

First, I am a very lonely person. I currently am in the 9th semester of Electrical Engineering. The only friends I consider I have are two guys (they are brothers) and a girl. We all are classmates, and was in University where I met them.

My relationship with the two bro's have been more or less difficult to me, maybe influenced by my issues of depression/anxiety and also the 'homo' thing. They are also very closed, but if I have zero self esteem, theirs goes to the sky and beyond, or so it seems (which can be unpleasant sometimes) and other people have see them as selfish/narcissistic boys, they don't have many friends in faculty also because of that.

The two bro's and I are seeing Digital Signal Processing. The professor is evaluating us by sending homeworks and doing quizes. It happened that I kind of do it well in the subject (the homeworks). We have been doing the homeworks together.
    For the last homework, we had to make some questions to the professor. I live near the campus, so I offered myself to go, and I went. He explained to me the homework, but also told me he discovered something was wrong with one problem, and he would explain it to the class the next time, and probably will extend the deadline for the homework. Anyway, now I had to give the new information to the bro's (after all we are a team -or so I considered).

Those days were marked by heavy protests and demonstrations in my Country and city, that led to some days without classes. I entertained myself and wasted my time with other things.

The original deadline arrived, and by midday the professor told us to send the homework without the last part, and that he would explain that part next class.

By the time we got the professor's message, I hadn't sent nor talked with the bro's whatsoever. I still wasn't sure if part of what the professor had explained to me in his office, had to be sent. I was entertained and it is by the night that I texted one of the bro's to ask him if he had sent the work.

His answer was: "How would I if you didn't send us your part."

I told him, I am sorry I am going to send you the info now. Well that now took me like an hour, because I hadn't yet prepared that info for them, to be honest, I think I was thinking that we would met and then I would have the chance to explain what professor told me.

I sent them the emails with the info, very well explained, and the part of the homework resolved, like two hours later, almost by midnight, I got a message from the guy telling me "Why you send me that" "Why you send us that when I had already sent the work to the professor'. I replied, because I had to and the info was there.
    I apologised and took responsability for the delay. He just say "You again with this". And literally implied that I didn't sent them the info so In the eyes of the professor, I would made myself look better than them.

Since that day, one of them have ignored me completely. The other have just said hello to me when in class. I have texted both to inform them of faculty issues and only one replies back, clearly the other guy is ignoring me (this is the brother I have always been closer to).

I spent the rest of that week sad and depressed, and very anxious. Also when I have to tell them something (text them).

I feel really bad. My fault was I was just a lazy and let everything to the last moment. I think I have disappointed them. I don't think I'd ever have again any credibility to them or that they'd ever trust me.

Since the day after the episode, I had been considering to quit of the subject, and send them a letter/email explaining them again where I failed and that it was not because I wanted to harm them in any way. But that would be a very high price for me to pay (I would literally fail the subject and It will appear in my grades).

We have to take our first quiz this week, so I am considering of not going, thus I would fail the quiz, but still would have the chance to approve the subject.

I am still not sure what the best course of action would be. I think that when we fail, after we have recognised our errors and take responsability for our actions, we have to try to fix what we did wrong.

So I feel like I don't know what to do, or even think about the issue.

Maybe I am giving it so much importance? Maybe it does not worth that much so I would take a quiz? In anyway I just feel anxious and bad because of all of this. Thanks and sorry for the long.

#1 Al92, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, it doesn't sound like you had any bad intentions. There was just a lot going on and some miscommunications, so everyone wasn't all on the same page. It's unfortunate that they decided not to speak with you anymore because of this, but you can't really control their actions after all.

Have you tried reaching out to them specifically to talk about what happened? Perhaps they've been busy and just haven't had a chance to say hello (or more than a brief hello).

Also, you mention being at a university. Does your university have any counseling services for students? If nothing else, it might help to get the perspective of someone else at your school. Perhaps they can help you make sure something like this doesn't happen again.