1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should you discuss mental health?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by questions4ever, May 2, 2017.

1. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've struggled with various mental health issues (major depression, anxiety, possibly borderline personality disorder and self harm). I'm getting better, but it's hard work. Regardless, I have cuts and scars on my legs so eventually it will be an issue. I don't think that waiting until I'm at that point in a relationship to discuss my struggles is the healthiest thing. This is all hypothetical right now, but I have a girl that i think likes me too and I'd like to have a plan for when/how I'll approach talking about my mental health in future relationships. I want to be honest, but I hate coming across as weak or whiney or attention seeking. Thoughts?

2. Minaethiel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, first of all I'm sorry for what you're going through. I've experienced something very similar... I know it's hard, and believe me, if you are at least trying to get better you're doing a great step forward. I have a girlfriend and she knows about all of my struggles... I started telling her when we were both still friends, gradually. When we got together I got worse and she talked about it with some people she trusted... what was difficult at the time was to make them understand what was happening was real, and not an invention by, as you also fear, an attention seeker. Anyway I can tell you that if the person you confide in trusts you and cares about you, she will make any effort to understand and help you. You don't have to wait a specific amount of time, just tell her when you're comfortable with it. You see, I've been knowing my girlfriend for a year before we got together. Almost a month before she declared to me, I specifically told her about my depression and issues (even though she probably had hints before, as we became really close since the moment we met) and the situation really became hard to control after one month we got together, when she was abroad. It was difficult for her to stay close to me, as you can understand, and we weren't exactly in a long-term relationship... But she had been by my side all this time, even though the people she asked for advice told her I was doing such things just to seek her attention. But I think that's the impression they get if you don't honestly tell them yourself. If you just open your heart, it's difficult that they won't believe you. I, for myself, didn't talk about it to anybody 'cause I didn't want other people to pity me, or think I was weak or faking it. But talking about your problems is not at all a sign of weakness: it requires quite an amount of strenght if you ask me. Just choose carefully the people you want to talk to, tell them how you really feel, talk about it with them the more you can so that they can undestand you... all of us face bad times, you're not weak if you talk about it, you'll feel really strong once you knocked 'em down. Plus, talking really helps, if you can, you should do it, before you're too deep into it and can't get out. Hugs to you buddy! (*hug*)

3. Pugman

I really do understand that feeling I discussed it with my boyfriend recently and it was hard to say but it helped my boyfriend understand me for who I am,even though I don't cut anymore I still have scars all up my arms and chest some more apparent than others so I was always worried and nervous about a question like "how did you get those scars?" or something along those lines. Over all it was a good thing for me to let him know.

4. B e a utiful

Hey, I've only just joined but from what you have written I don't think you need to tell anyone you've just met about what you are going through. Be you, be love and light and the right girl will find you when you are least expecting it :slight_smile: