1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship with your straight male friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mattroderic, May 4, 2017.

1. Mattroderic

Hi, I would like if you could describe how is your relationship with your straight male friends. How did they react when you came out to them? Are you open to each other (for example if you tell them about your crush)? Have you ever felt that they felt uncomfortable or tense around you? I ask this because I kind of always felt more comfortable around girls even when my best friends at highschool were boys, but now every time I find myself in a new place where I don't know anybody (like college) I directly make friends with the girls and kind of have a distant relationship with the boys. I think I have this prejudice because at school I used to get bored with my male friends because of the topics we talked and also because they had like a homophobic vocabulary (I haven't come out to them). I'm still friends with them but we don't see each other too frequently. Sorry if I express myself incorrectly, English is my second language.

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a wonderful relationship with my straight friends which initially surprised me that they would had been so embracing of me being a gay man. However, my situation is somewhat the opposite as yours with my female straight friends because I distance myself from them with the exception of a few. I made the decision to come out to them because there are some gay people who tend to be very "shady" when they see you hanging out with your friends and when they find out that they are straight, they will make it their business to "out" you just to be nasty. Many of my straight friends have told me that because of my honesty and the character that I have displayed with them since the beginning of our friendship made it easy for them to accept me as a gay man because the love they have for me had grown so much prior to them finding out about me being gay. The straight female friends I must say has been very supportive but there have been some female friends in the past that I had to end the friendship with because they would not respect or accept the fact of me being gay and would still try to establish some kind of intimate connection despite the fact. All in all...my true straight friends have been great.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my friends asked why I didn't tell him sooner since we were good friends in school. Everyone that I've told was very surprised and also supportive. Never really got a bad or negative reaction other than my parents who denied it in the beginning.

I'm more open about my crushes to girls, since we can talk about the same or similar guys too!

I have not been treated any differently when I came out, because I was the same person. I'd say I have pretty good friends :slight_smile:

4. ForeverRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my straight friends actually told all my other straight friends I was gay (still in school btw) and they were actually all really good about it, surprisingly. I still get the odd person who'll tell me I have AIDS, but I guess there'll always be one. People aren't really tense around me, at least not in a way that I can tell.