1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dont know if hes gay or not, but I really want to tell him

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bisexual18, May 5, 2017.

1. Bisexual18

I really like a guy. He works in the same enviroment as me but dijg something different. I havent come out so I cant tell him how I feel. Ive seen him around for a year or so now but have never spoke to him, so I feel as if even getting to know as a friend forst has been burnt. Hes the type of guy who I dont know what his reaction would be like. If anyone has been in a situation can you please give me some advice, thank you!!

2. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't really been in this situation before, but I have wondered what someone's reaction would be before I came out to them. There's no way to really know for sure what someone will think, but getting to know them better on a friends level first definitely helps I think. Have you considered approaching him something along the lines of 'hey I've seen you around quite a bit' maybe ask him what he does (even if you already know it's a different sector from you) and ask him if he wants to hang out as friends or something.

When I was wondering what other people's reaction would be to coming out, it was my friends' reactions that I was scared of, even though I was pretty sure I knew them well enough to know that it wouldn't change anything in our friendship.

So all in all, try to get to know him as a friend and try to find out his view of the lgbt community. Use that to judge whether you think it'd be safe to come out to him or not and to see whether he's someone you're actually interested in or not.

3. Ben1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in the exact same situation as yourself, and to make matters even more difficult I work in predominantly male industry.

I'd start off by making small talk with the guy and see where it goes, what's the worst that could happen? Good luck!

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't overthink what you didn't do in the past. You should try to find an opportunity to introduce yourself and get to know him at least as an acquaintance. It could be as simple as, "Hi, I'm X, and I work in Y. Do you work in Z?" It may be short, but if you keep with smiles and greetings each time you see each other, you can start to develop a friendship. If he doesn't respond well, then you lost little.

5. pestjohnbuda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the answers above. As you have something in common already (work) you could start a conversation about this and test the waters. Feeling comfortable, see if you want to hang out more and maybe become friends and maybe during the journey tell him how you feel. Talking is step 1, making a start, and from there on, see how the path goes! Good luck :slight_smile:

6. Bisexual18

Thank you guys for all your advice dont think I could have asked for anything better. Thanks!