1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to interact with men without appearing interested?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nightdream, May 10, 2017.

1. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello people from EC. I was trying to find some information on it, but no luck. I know that you can see in my sexual orientation box that I'm bisexual, yet I'm not interested in getting involved with anyone right now. I have found someinformation in how to express sexual/romantic desire for women as a woman and how to prevent doing that too (I learned it mostly on my own experience though). The only problem is that I got no clue in how the hell I'm supposed to interact with men without giving them the idea that I want something with them or not. Well, actually, acting in my own natural way seems to attract unwanted male attention and I just end up by needing to say "yes", the only issue with it is that I'm never interested in them that way. I keep wondering what I've done wrong, but I just have no idea. What am I supposed to do to keep men as friends or acquainces? It annoys me to getting flirted or getting confused about their intentions with me...

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - Some men consider any sort of contact with the opposite sex to be flirting. These men aren't very bright, and you are never going to get them to think otherwise regardless of what you do.

- Other men get genuinely confused. Friendships between men and women are different. Some women treat their male friends in ways they would treat female friends, even though a typical guy would only act that way to a SO. So then he gets confused and ends up falling for the girl since he doesn't understand the dynamics.

But most of the time, It's the former. In some cases, a change of behavior can prevent this, but most of the time....a lot of guys genuinely don't get the idea of opposite sex friendships until they get older.

3. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just what I feared... Damn. Looks like I'll have to stick with the restrict friendships with girls and keep men at distance which I really don't like. I thought it was something that I was doing wrong.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. I actually enjoy friendships with men a bit more than typical female friendships (though I do meet women who are awesome too), so It's a bit disheartening to know you have to limit yourself.

But not all guys are like this either. The nasty ones are just way louder.

5. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know. I've met a few that managed to be just friends with me, but we weren't too close. Pretty sad.

6. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I tend to make better friends with women then men. I just find them easier to open up to.

7. Brigianna

i also find better friends in with girls than men. I don't understand men

8. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

I don't even try to make friends with men lately. They think that I'm flirting with them, when I'm just being friendly. It's so sooo awkward. Weird thing is that if someone pays attention I DO look gay. I don't get it.

9. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    We are weird, but not all the same :thumbsup:.

10. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree with the others when it comes to men being too flirty :/ It's hard to befriend them as a lesbian because so many of them have great disrespect for lesbians. It can even be dangerous at times.

It sucks because I kind of prefer friendships with men, but that has more to do with the fact that I have a more stereotypical male friendship style. I want someone to do activities with and gush about hobbies with, where as I strongly dislike the level of emotional intimacy some women try to force in their friendships.

The compromise for me is limiting myself to masculine minded women. It's just too bad you have to limit myself to begin with.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How about gay male friends? Or trans men?

12. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see how a trans man would stop from feeling attracted to me... Some of them can be misogynistic too.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because many trans men are more understanding and sympathetic towards sexual harassment cis women face. A lot are involved in feminism and prefer female friends, too. Not all are straight.

14. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Knowing a girl is a lesbian would actually be easier to be friends with. How is it "dangerous"?

15. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying all men are like this, but I have had coercive/rapey sort of threats from some straight male friends before. They find out I'm a lesbian and then want to "turn me straight", keep pressuring me into sex I don't want, etc. I feel very unsafe around them at times.

That's why I said sometimes, since not everyone does this...but the vast majority have been disrespectful to me in my experience.

16. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    :angry::angry:
    I am sorry to hear that! I don't know why some guys do that. I guess they think they are now challenged to "change" you, but that makes me mad that guys think they can just do whatever they want. :angry:

17. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah? Well, I might consider that, but it's still hard to find gay and trans men around here. I met only one openly gay guy around (and some guys that I got suspicious) and I'm forced to interact with straight or LGBT people in the closet. In the end, I'll have to talk to straight cis guys anyway.

18. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You forgot the 3rd category of men, the dense ones who wouldn't notice flirting even if you held a sign up saying you were doing it. Cause I have had to point out to a friend a couple of times that a girl was interested in him and he still didn't get it right away. And I am also guilty of missing a few flirty cues as well lol.

My advice, based only on the women I know; is to just be yourself but keep the physical contact to a minimum. I know lots of huggers and always have to touch people women, and I think that is what usually confuses most guys.

19. Legit2017

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nightdream, maybe you can help me. I am pretty much a straight guy, 57yo. I relate much better to women than men. Consequently, I have many more female friends than male. In fact, my BFF is a 59yo woman. I also have a few strong lesbian friends, and quite a few gay men. I've never (knowingly) known any bisexuals, but recently I met someone who is bi.

When we met, I assumed she was lesbian because she had a close friend that was lesbian and it was clear to me they were, at least, emotionally involved. No problem, we shared a lot of common interests and just had a great time enjoying each other's company. We took a few overnight excursions together, and there was nothing but friendship involved. Never made a pass, because I respected her relationship and I just figured no interest. Sometimes the three of us did stuff together.

Over time, we spent more and more time together and as I got to know / each other, I found we had even more and more in common. I really began to realize what a wonderful person she is, regardless of her orientation.

Then after a couple of years, she called me about her friend - and in context of my responses / questions I asked her if she was involved. She responded "Oh my no". I gave her my insights and advice.

Afterwards we started interacting a lot. Constantly actually for about six months. We actually spent more time together than she did with her friend. It was hard to read signals, but I began to think she liked me more than just casual friends - but very cautious, never really discussed it - although I dropped a lot of hints.

Then, quite recently, she told me that she had become involved with her, but was breaking it off - one reason she said is because she wanted to spend more time with me, and people like me. She reveal at that time that she is attracted to people, not genders.

To me, she sounded like was hinting at a relationship. But I realized she was going through a tough time emotionally calling it off with a woman she loved - so I left it alone. But a few days later, I told her I had deep feelings for her and wanted to know if she would consider a relationship with me.

She responded she wasn't interested in having a relationship, love, or sex with ANYONE, ever again. She was done. And she is serious about it. I can understand the heartache she is going through, so I haven't mentioned it again. But while we discussed it a bit, I gave her every opportunity to say "I like you just as friend", "not interested in me that way", "you're not my type", etc. multiple times in fact. But her response is always not anyone, not ever.

But she wants to spend a lot of time with me. Even suggested we take some trips/vacations together. And she says it doesn't make her uncomfortable, or bother her that I have fallen in love with her. Our interaction since then has been just as it always has.

To me, this is confusing. I'm not sure what to do with my feelings, or if I'm interpreting things wrong. Yes, I understand she needs space and time to heal. But I really have no experience in how bisexual women relate to men. Is she simply not wanting to hurt feelings? I can certainly work on removing those feelings I have for her, but I hate to think I am passing on a what could be an epic once-in-lifetime relationship. If she was pure hetero I would have no doubt she is interested, but just hurt now. I cannot discuss this with my straight male friends because they are pigs who would immediately jump to disgusting suggestions. My two lesbian friends are like "leave her alone and let her be gay". My gay make friends are split with their opinions.

And what do I do about her friend - because we had become friends also. Can I continue that friendship, or abruptly severe contact. I wonder if she thinks I had something to do with their breakup.

I seek understanding. Your thoughts and perspectives are appreciated.

20. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh man... I'd say that I'm the one in need of help here, but okay, let me try. What signs of a possible desire for a relationship with you have you noticed on her? With your interaction with many women, you probably should be able to know women actually enjoy having close platonic friendships, even with men. You must make sure that's really what she wants. Unfortunately, I'm almost completelly sure she doesn't want anything with you. She directly told you that she doesn't want any kind of romantic/sexual relationship. Now, I believe it's up to you if you want to keep this friendship or to leave her alone.

I'm saying this mostly because you told me she just said that she doesn't want anything, so even if she shows signs of attraction, she doesn't want to get further. Also, I'm in a recovery stage of traumatic experience with men, so I need my time until I can open up for men which is why I created this thread. Having to interact with someone that's interested in me wouldn't be good for me.

#20 Nightdream, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017