1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay & Lesbian Friendships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rana, May 10, 2017.

1. Rana

Rana Guest

Hi all,

I was recently told that gays and lesbians (as groups) are not the friendliest towards each other. I find that hard to believe. Some of my most awesome male friends are gay and I adore and cherish them.

But I think the person who told me this was generally talking about different LGBT groups...like the gay groups not wanting to do any activity or advocacy in cooperation with lesbian groups, and so on. She said the gays and the lesbians sometimes "don't play nice" and there is some animosity or prejudice between the two groups.

I hate generalizations and have always found my gay friends lovely and kind human beings.

I think it's important to have unity between all LGBTQ+ groups. Is this wishful thinking?
    What have your experiences been...good, bad, ugly? I'd love to know.

Thanks guys. ♥

2. Mattroderic

I think that gays & lesbians may not get that well together because of the differences in their gender & interests, basically we are the antithesis of each other and the only thing that brings us together is the discrimination we suffer for being sexual minorities and of course gay clubs, pride parades, activism, etc. Yet I always wanted to have a lesbian friend. There may be some gays that may have some prejudices, always I tell my group of gay friends (basically we are together for going out to gay clubs) that we should include some lesbian friend they become reluctant (though they do the same when I want to invite a straight female friend).

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can be friends with gay guys just fine, and many of them agree (at least the ones I know personally).

There are always going to be hateful idiots in some groups. I even hate other lesbians at times, not for their sexuality, but for their attitude.

I don't really like talking about my love life or sex life (unless I need advice like on a forum like this), so the sexuality and gender does not matter to me.

#3 Creativemind, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017