1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship trouble

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lil legs, May 13, 2017.

1. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me and my boyfriend have been going out for over 3 years, we started going out before we was both 18. We've now hit a problem and I fear the phrase love blinds us is coming to light, from the start, he knew I wanted to be a truck driver. ive got the class 2 (cat C) licence which is rigid vehicles. His idea of an ideal relationship is both people having a 9-5 job. Truck driving is far from that, it's long hours eachother day, and in some jobs its staying out and away sleeping in a truck for one night, perhaps 4 nights a week. When we first started going out I had no idea he would have a problem with my future aspirations, and he just didn't want to think about it. When I got my class 2 licence there was so much shit from him during the process and when I got a job driving those big vehicles. Now we're both getting older and I feel like I want to upgrade my licence but I don't want to put our relationship somewhere that he doesn't want. I love him loads and he loves me so much, currently we're not talking to much, I've told him I don't see a happy future for us based on my career aspirations. I don't know what to do, and we both don't know. He wants our relationship to continue because of how much we love eachother and hope somehow he will cope with me doing a career like that. But I don't think he will be happy.

2. duff0286

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,
    I believe that if two people love each other, you can weather any storm.
    On one side, it seems like your boyfriend is stopping you from doing what you have always wanted to do. Having said that, he is sad because he just doesn't want to have such little time with you. I don't think he is being mean as such.
    My boyfriend and I work for the same company, but not together and our hours change from one week to the next. Sometimes we see each other for two hours a day. It sucks, but we love each other and know that we have bills to pay and this is the sacrifice we have to make to keep a roof over our head, while also saving for our upcoming wedding. We wouldn't break up because things are tough and we see less of each other. We just make the most of the time we have.
    If you love your boyfriend as much as you do and he feels the same, you should find a way to make things work. Relationships, as I'm sure you are aware, are a test and when things are as tough as they are for you both now, you should do your best to stay together.
    You have to ask yourself:
    What would life be like without him?
    Could you be happy without him?
    Can you imagine starting again and being with someone else?
    In your defence, your boyfriend needs to understand, that this is what you have always wanted to do. But it is down to him if he can stand by you.
    I think you both need to come to an agreement about how far you both will compromise. If it comes down to it, what is more important? Him or the job? That will tell you how much you love him. If you do choose him, would you hold it against him (that would be totally unfair)?
    I hope whatever decision you both reach makes you happy and you are able to move forward, being stronger for it.
    Keep us updated. Good Luck

#2 duff0286, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017