1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on the family...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nintenfreak92, Apr 27, 2009.

1. So my stepfather has recently found god and unfortunatly started to read the bible and has been taking what is written at face value. He has started reading books and pamphlets made by this horrible organization. He has been trying to get me to read some of these books. I know he has gotten to some of the gay topics, but seems he has become distant from me. I don't know how to explain to him that these books and things are spewing lies at him and is believing them and itis hurting me...

2. Nameless Hope

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a "Focus on the Family" family...

3. RaeofLite

Unfortunately, some people will believe everything they read. Even if it's a book that's been translated and re-written by whoever wanted to put a chapter or their say in it through the ages. :frowning2:

I don't personally believe in God, but if I did... why would a creator create people loving the same sex if he loved everyone?

You're just fine the way you are. I like to tell people, if I wanted to make life difficult, I would do so. I didn't choose this and I didn't want life to be difficult, but this is me, it's what I'm attracted to and I just have intuition that this is who I am.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Have you maybe talked to your mom or other family about his growing (I don't want to say obsession), but his growing... interest in religion and such?

4. Noah

There are many many christian gays. It's a pity you have to go through this struggle after you already came out. In my experience most people who have just picked up christianity go kinda crazy with it. If I were you I would kindly tell him that you aren't planning on changing, you're happy he's found his belief, but you would like to be left alone about your sexuality. Tell him your fears about growing distant, show him Prayers for Bobby and For the Bible Tells Me So.

5. No One

You know i would talk to him and tell him from experience but i think that would screw me (and you) over big time.

6. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

NO im so sorry to hear that, You have more ammunition than he does on the subject, use it wisely. Stay one step ahead, no spur of the moment family vacations. You deff need to head for college away from your parents.

7. Greggers

You just need to take it into your own hands to educate him :slight_smile:

Movies like:

- Prayers for Bobby

- For the Bible tells me so

And other things like:

- Soulforce

- PFLAG

...and of course, the #1 and MOST effective weapon you have:

Your own personal testimony. Coming from someone your grandpa knows well it will sound alot stronger and more powerful.

8. kramer362

I picture the writers of the Bible, if alive today, would be flabbergasted how with all the scientific breakthroughs humankind has discovered and explored, that we still take the book they wrote, (which may have been revolutionary at the time) literally.

9. Alex19

stay strong! and tell him that if hes gonna take everything literally, hed better watch what he wears, eats and better keep his wife in check!

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  11. Just Adam

problem with the bible is

1) written by humans so theres missinturprtations prejudice and bias
    2) you have too look at what the world was like at the time of writing to find context for writings
    3) same you have to find relevance to whats written not now but when written to find their meaning
    4) use common sense and logic to determin between truth, exaduration, right out lie
    5) remember no matter what a book says its just a book
    6) all religion need tell us to be happy and be good people too help others cause no harm etc
    7) have a rest

... see what i did there with the 7 points :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: hehe

12. Totoro

I may not be christian (any longer) but i think everyone decides what they think is the 'truth'. You can't force your religion on other people, though! Although what i think about your father is that you should tell him that the Bible should not be interpreted at face value, it's not supposed to be. The proofs are everywhere, you just need to pinpoint them and show him (e.g. Adam and Eve, 40 days of rain or something like that (forget the title))
    so basically just tell him what you think of this... but try not to be offensive or harsh about it

13. pirateninja

I'm just flagging this up again; I've had a read through it myself and it is an amazing pamphlet. I'm going to print myself a copy. :grin:

14. Emberstone

What is sad about focus on the family, and the additude behind it shared by some chirstian is that 90% of what people claim jesus and the bible says against homosexuality doesnt actually exists, and cant be found in the bible, and the other 10% jesus rejected, saying it was not gods will or law *him rejecting leviticus, saying it doesnt apply to chirstians, because it is not the law of or from god*

jesus never once spoke out against homosexuality. yet he lived in a time, and under the rules *the romans* of a culture who embraced homosexuality as normal, and a healthy part of life.

Focus on the family is not known for biblical accuracy. infact it is well documented for its contradiction of biblical teaching.

They only have credibility with those who lie about the bible to make their opinions seem divinly inspired.

As my ethics teacher said, (and he is a chirstian pastor also), the greatest flaw in religion is when people try to force their system of ethics on others, because how do you argue with someone infernally convinced they are right simply because they have god on their side. His view, which I agree with wholeheartedly is that doing so is a affront to the point of religion, which is about being responcible for yourself, not abusing others for being different (which the bible says is a sin worthy of damnation).

James Dobson is a well noted racist, homophobe, and anti-semite... so I dont listen to anything he has to say.