1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Too Sensitive (Would it Ruin My Relationships?)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Klaspri, May 14, 2017.

1. Klaspri

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Recently, I had a breakdown. At least I think it was, I've never had breakdowns before but I just felt the adrenaline pumping and for the next two days, I was shaking bad, I was sending texts to friends for help and doing all this stuff that I regret and would've normally never done. The thing about it though, was a majority of my friends and family were irritated by my behavior and all I could think was that they didn't care, and that I had to go back to normal. I feel like I've gotten everything down under control, I'm still emotionally shook but I'm trying not to pester everyone about it.

It started about two weeks ago, I planned with a friend to sneak out to an lgbt youth group, mainly because I was curious and I received encouragement both by my counselor and friends to sneak out. Well, like the dumbass I was, I tried to get my mother to drive us and was planning on having her drop us off halfway there or something but I gave her the address and she looked it up. She just completely exploded.

Originally, I wasn't too scared because she was saying stuff like,"I don't care if you guys want to be a boy or girl." and "I'm going to become a Buddhist and leave Christianity behind." The moment she found it though, she automatically switched back to being Christian or something, and started screaming at me, calling me a faggot and abnormal. I was scared and didn't want all the blame to fall on me, so I said that the counselor said I should go. Now I lost my counselor because she texted my dad about how she recommended it to me and how I was a dyke. Afterwards, she started yelling at me about how I always get her into trouble with my dad by telling him stuff like this. I actually got her to quiet for a minute by responding,"I didn't fucking tell dad."

After her whole speech on why gays are bad and I should be ashamed of myself, we picked up my friend and she dropped me off at the center anyways. She spoke more shit to us on the way there, of course. Maybe she wanted me to cry in front of everyone, because the whole time I was there, I was unable to function. It was hard to breath, my muscles felt hot, my entire chest and stomach felt hot and my mind was blank, trying to focus on other stuff. My friend brought me out of the room twice to try and cheer me up, and the group leader also came over to check on me multiple times. Normally I've got an apathetic kind of face, but I guess I looked really shaken up.

On the way back she told me that I was in the wrong, I shouldn't have been curious about going to a place like that (btw, she called it a gay club at one point), but she would apologize about yelling at me. Sometimes I'm not sure if she does stuff like this on purpose or not, but she said my dad, who she had a vicious divorce with, would take me to church more and try to make me not gay. Personally, I feel like he's waiting until I'm eighteen so he can just say," I tried to stop them. I tried to change them but they refused."

I would've talked to my counselor about all of this instead, but the week that I really needed someone to talk to, my dad got rid of her because of the incident.

I tried talking to some of my friends about it, most didn't know what to say and the rest, it was awkward because I had never shown them a side of me like this. I tried talking to one of my friends about it, but they just told me that they had it just as bad and when I started spamming them because they were ignoring me, they blocked me. At this point, I was really upset and felt like nobody wanted to listen to me and all the friends I had were only friends with me for convenience. I was there only as a fun-time friend or somebody to come to when they were feeling down, but when I needed help, they wouldn't offer it. In fact, some of them have been acting awkwardly around me and some seem to be avoiding me. Should I have not asked them for emotional help? I didn't even tell them what happened, I was just saying I was feeling stressed and I needed something to talk about.

I've also been more violent and short-tempered lately. I've almost strucken my parents and my peers, and I have hit my siblings, my young cousins and my dogs before. My dog is a really small chihuahua, so when I get mad, I'm able to hold back a lot more. If she starts barking or tries biting something, I swat her on the butt and apprehend her in a low voice. One time, I really lost it and kicked her though. What made me feel worse about it though, was my dog came back and started sniffing at me instead of hiding when I usually do stuff like this. My cousin, one time hit me in the face with a spoon, threw it really hard and hit me in the eye before he turn tails and ran. I chased after him, and when I heard his mother scream not to tackle him, I managed not to shove him down and beat him but merely pick him up. When he kicked me in the face, I smacked him though, I got yelled at by our grandpa, but I still hit him. Me and my sister, we have little wrestling matches I guess? But I've had times where I punched her really hard in the stomach and she cried over it, which is hard, she's a tough girl.

I'm afraid of getting into a relationship or having/adopting kids because of this. I'm afraid that if they don't say anything, fight back or have somebody to stand up for them, that I'll keep on beating them. I don't want to do that, so I've been avoiding relationships but at the same time I feel trapped. There feels like there is no one to talk to about these feelings.

I feel bad over a majority of these though, but it's been getting harder and harder to keep these bouts of anger under control. My dad said it was because I was beaten as a child, but it was when the beatings stopped that I started becoming aggressive and my self-esteem dropped. I was thinking maybe it was because the physical abuse changed to mental.

I took a bunch of aspirin on the day I was having my break down, and it was the worst mistake I made. It got rid of all my body pains and all I had left was what I was mentally dealing with.

I was also thinking, maybe it has to do with the substance abuse I have been doing lately. Do short-term cigarettes or alcohol make people aggressive or pissy? I was hoping getting drunk would take my mind off of everything, but I can't stand the taste of alcohol, it tastes like carbonated piss. I have maybe had less than a cup altogether in the last three months. Cigarettes, on the other hand, I really liked but have a hard time coming across. It feels relaxing, and the smell is really nostalgic to me. I've had maybe four or five in the last year, but I'm still craving them.

But now I feel like maybe I'm too sensitive. Somebody makes a snobby comment, I'm pissed. Somebody says I'm weird, I'm pissed. My dog won't stop barking, I'm pissed. Even when my dad tells me that I need to work on my homework, I get mad and just think to myself that even if I got straight A's in all my class, he still wouldn't be happy. He's never once told me that he was proud of how hard I work in my schoolswork, because he think I never do, that the dumbass me is capable of getting full marks, that I'm just lazy. I get apprehensive whenever he brings up my school, because I automatically assume it's criticism and it usually is.

I feel awful, and the feeling of wanting to go to sleep and never wake up back in middle school has come back. I feel like everybody would be better off if I wasn't here. Whenever I think about all these things that irritate me, I think to myself that I'm being selfish and that I should think more about other people. I'm not usually open with my problems, and people get upset with me because of that but whenever I try opening up, it seems like they get angry over that too.

So, am I too sensitive? How do I keep my anger under control? I don't want to hurt anything anymore, but it all just happens and I end up feeling guiltier because of it.

#1 Klaspri, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to find another counsellor or therapist. You are worried about perpetuating the abuse you suffered.

As for your anger, a lot of it is understandable, the treatment from your mom, not having friends you can rely on and losing your counsellor.

Until you can get some support try writing out what's making you angry to get it out of your system or if you like exercise then do that to distract yourself.

I wish I could help you more. If you get to 10 posts you'll be able to write on my wall. I'm a great listener and I'll always reply.

3. Klaspri

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, I'm not the one who has been choosing the counselor it's my dad, and I don't want to redo the whole process of getting use to them. It's possible, after this, I might not get another counselor, it's what my mom's been trying to do because my dad used a counselor against her during the divorce.

I'll try your writing idea, I guess. I've got a computer document I can type it out in.

Thank you for all your help, I know we haven't talked or much or know each other, but it means a lot.

4. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some points that I can relate: My dad was physically and emotionally abusive, but it was once he left that I started doing badly in school. But after some thought, I realize it was because that was the first year I had AP courses, and also the time without the abuse made me reflect on everything bad, which was just as traumatizing. Plus, I was faced with a stronger sense of responsibility, because I seemingly couldn't justify my failures to my dad. This is very daunting, and it can feel like I'm doomed to fail either way, whether I'm surrounded by negative people or not. But actually, recovery just takes time and patience, and sometimes making mistakes is normal regardless of supposed improvement of circumstance.

I know that the main contributors to my dad's terrible behavior was his alcoholism, resentment towards my mom for having a more enjoyable and reputable academic success (which comes from his insecurities), sleep deprived gambling nights, and history of having a very abusive father, as well as living in poverty. His insecurities led him to follow his father's example to use force and intimidation in order to feel powerful. Messed up, really. I would avoid any of the following things that my dad did, if possible.

As for your friends, give them some time. They may still be overwhelmed. Sometimes I can't talk to my mom about issues I have with my dad because she is just as affected as I am.This kind of situation sucks, but you just have to push through it. It gets better.

If there's any advice I can give, it's to try to have more hope for yourself by knowing that although the negative feelings you have is valid, you can change to become positive through kind actions. You don't have to become a victim of circumstance, and even if you're not legally or financially independent, you can use your attitude to keep yourself from being a victim of your own fears. Instead of being angry at your dad for telling you that you're lazy, you can focus on how his complaints are just stupid and illegitimate. Instead of getting angry at someone in general, think objectively about their standpoint, refute/accept as logical, and assume that it is not meant to be taken personally. Sure, your anger seems out of control, but you still have time to change it, and you're fully capable of changing. When I feel angry I sing or listen to calming music while focusing on my breath. After, to make up for it, I do something nice. When I bug my mom about stuff, I make up for it by giving compliments and presents. When I feel like a jerk, I apologize to the ones that faced the brunt of my jerkiness and if they need someone to support them, I do. My dog can be annoying when he barks too much, but maybe he just needs a hug cuz he's lonely from me always doing my homework. Basically, trying my best to give help relieves effects of past mistakes and makes me feel more capable and nice. Use the pain that you have experienced to develop perspective of how others may feel—people are very similar to eachother, even if it seems like we are against eachother.

Sometimes there are surprisingly simple solutions for complex problems. As for grades, I was very upset about how they weren't doing well and I felt guilty for letting my mom down. I lost hope that I could do better, because I was plauged by angry, fearful thoughts of resentment towards my dad. My mom became frustrated by the fact that I no longer wanted to put in as much effort as before. But I just talked to my mom, and yes It came out very dramatic. But she helped by telling me that everyone messes up and breaks down sometimes and that not only do I have potential to change but that I was important. it didn't sound like she was blaming me. Then she recommended better study techniques to help me focus better on homework, become more connected to other people (just join a club), and redevelop interest in my hobbies.

At this time, it would not be wise to enter a relationship. But over time with improvement, that is very likely to change. I recommend you find someone to support you or to talk to at school ( a trusted teacher, staff) or better yet a proffessional therapist. But if not possible, there is a lot of support from advisors, administrators, and fellow members of EC! :slight_smile:

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Successful relationships, kids, etc all come after you grow as a individual. Where people go wrong in relationships is thinking the other person can fill their void (this is what I've learned).

Work on managing your emotions. I've always been on the more sensitive side and this has been caused by me overthinking situations and what other people think. Naturally, I'll get angry at someone for whatever reason and yell at them. But now that I know that's I shouldn't do, I take a breath and remind myself not to lose it.

My boyfriend would tell me "Don't feel bad. There feel better?" And that pissed me off so much in the beginning because of course it wouldn't make me feel better. What I've learned from that, though, is that while you cannot control other people's emotions or reactions, you can manage yours.

I understand that you do not wish to hurt others anymore, but have you also considered that this thought process of anger and guilt is doing more harm to you than anyone else? It's certainly crucial to consider others emotionally, but it becomes too much to handle when you can't handle your emotions either. How likely is it for you to speak to another psychologist?

6. Oniisan011701

Wow I thought my situation was bad but I can`t imagine how you must be feeling, I can`t really offer much help but maybe with time everything would look better, just fight through it and stay strong even though things might look bleakest for you right now, I believe in you!!