1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to Get Involved in the LGBTQ Community

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thetimeisnow, May 15, 2017.

1. thetimeisnow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a gay man in my early 20s who's trying to find some low stress ways to meet some fellow gay men in my area. I'm still in the closet with my family and most of my friends, and I want to explore the gay experience a bit more before I come out to everyone.

Does anyone have some advice about this topic? Or, a personal story about their introduction to the gay community?

I've heard that apps like ****** and ****** are a big way that a lot of younger guys get introduced to the gay community. But, I've also heard people on the apps tend use it mostly to just to hook up. There's nothing wrong with that. However, that's not really what I'm looking for right now.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

thetimeisnow

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apps are almost entirely for hookups. Depending on how big of an LGBT community there is where you live, there could be meetup groups, sports leagues, community theater or music groups, volunteer work/advocacy organizations, bars, and community centers. All kind of depends on what you're into and how big of a community there is where you live. Another way is meeting people through friends. If you have LGBT friends they can show you the ropes. And if you don't maybe your straight friends can introduce you to people.