1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date ideas???

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KiwiKiwi, May 16, 2017.

1. KiwiKiwi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm looking for some date ideas for my girlfriend and I. I live in a relatively small town that isn't very accepting of the lgbt community, and there aren't many places we can go out without getting stared at and called out. Most of our dates have been watching movies at my house and that's fun and all but I want to take her out and find do other things to do(at home or in public) . I was just wondering if anyone had any date ideas about things we could do at home or things we can do in public.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Could you go to a park or someplace not too crowded?

3. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would going to a nearby city work? Night out in town, that kind of thing?

4. KiwiKiwi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Going to a park would work! I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of that. As for a nearby city, I don't think my parents would let me go too far out of town so that's a no go. Thanks for the help though!

5. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ARTISTIC: Visit a place where they sculp, paint, sew or someting similar and guests can try if themselves.
    If there is no place like this nearby you two can try drawing or sculping each other.

SHOPING: Find a outfit for each other, show each others favourshops or find it online.
    Of course it dosen't have to be clothesstore.

TOURISTTOUR: Play tourist and find a tourguide in you area, you may discover new things.
    If it really can't be found nearby, go on adventure to find the history of you town.

PHOTOSHOOTING: Take pretty, funny or silly photo of each other whit a camera where you
    can't preview and/or delete the taken photo. When they are developed, sort out you favourites together.

Was it useful? :lol:

6. KiwiKiwi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you fishtail, those are some really good ideas. They are definitely useful!

7. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you are planning on having public displays of affection, why are you not able to do all the things straight people do on dates? Movies, restaurants, physical activities like hiking, walking, roller skating, sports, etc., visit museums, take a class together, find groups that do activities together, travel, swim.

Even straight girls have fun times with their female friends, and no one thinks twice about seeing them together. So why can't you?

8. KiwiKiwi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a good point. The thing is tho, my girlfriend is very out and proud. She'll talk about her sexuality to anyone and everyone and because we live in a very small town and because people love to gossip, a good amount of people that live here know that she is a lesbian. There's also a handful of people that an ex-friend of mine outed me to that I didn't want to be outed to for safety reasons. It's difficult to go out and not see someone that we know, so even if we go out on a date without publicly displaying our affection, the chances are high that we will be recognized and then harrassed. I suppose our best option would be to try to travel somewhere out of town.

9. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a little confused, though. Your profile says you are Out to Everyone. So why can't you be out and proud too? I would be a little concerned that you and your gf are at different levels of comfort with being out. Have you considered that you might be happier if you weren't trying to hide your relationship?

Just a thought. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

10. KiwiKiwi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess the reason I'm not so out and proud as she is is because I'm concerned that if I just immediately out myself to strangers, like she does, something bad might happen. I don't mind that she outs herself to everyone, that's her decision and I respect it and think she is very brave in doing so, but I just can't bring myself to be as out as she is. I should probably change my out status.

As for hiding our relationship, as far as I'm aware I haven't made any attempts to hide it in the past. Everyone that I know, that she knows, and a bunch of people we don't know all know that we are together. I guess that me asking for these date ideas is me trying to hide my realtionship, but honestly i was just trying to find something for us to do together were we dont get harassed. It is so exhausting and frustrating to not be able to go out and not get harrased or bothered by people who cant mind their own business. But I guess thats just something im going to have to live with. Thank you for pointing this out to me, I'll have to think more about it.

11. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the explanation, and I think I understand a little better now.

I'm not sure why you think that being openly gay necessarily means that you have to tell everyone you meet, such as strangers, that you are gay. Perhaps your girlfriend does this? If so, it's a little unusual to tell people out of the blue, especially strangers, about your sexuality, unless it comes up in conversation or there is some purpose to needing someone to know.

For example, if I was buying flowers for my boyfriend, and the florist assumed it was for a girl and said "Oh, she'll love these." As an openly gay man, I would correct the florist and say "They're for my boyfriend." But it's not like I would walk into the florist's shop and say "I'm gay and I need some flowers." See what I mean?

As for dating in public places, if you went to a restaurant, would your girlfriend tell your server that she is gay as they are taking your order? Or is it just that the two of you are there together, and maybe hold hands across the table? Or if you are at the movies, why would the employees or other patrons there need to know anything about your sexuality (or even care)?

When the two of you are out somewhere, do you actually get harassed? Has that been your experience? Or are you just afraid of being harassed so you don't bother trying to go out in public together?

For me, the idea of being openly gay is about no longer hiding the fact that I'm gay. It doesn't mean telling everyone I pass by that I'm gay, or telling the waiter at the restaurant, or even telling the florist. But I won't deny it if it were to come up, nor do I censor my behavior with my boyfriend when we are out together. If we feel like holding hands, we hold hands. If we feel like having a quick kiss, we do that. I'm not much into big public displays of affection, so I'm not making out in public, but I don't hide myself either.

No matter what, I do think that there is a time and place for everything, and you should always be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. If you don't feel safe for any reason, then be wary of showing any affection in public. But if you are keeping yourself, and your girlfriend, home on a Saturday night for fear of what anyone else might think or say to you, at some point you need to ask yourself why some stranger's opinion of you matters in any way. Sure, be safe. But it sounds like you've gone to the extreme of hiding at your house. What's the point of being "out" if you're just going to continue to act in a closeted manner? Did you come out just to hide?

By the way, I'm sure there are plenty of places you two can go that are less public, and I know that's what you were trying to get out of this thread. Sorry if I turned your thread around on you.

I hope this helps you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: