1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to help a friend who might be wanting to come out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Southpaw, May 23, 2017.

1. Southpaw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a friend who I am convinced is in the closet (bi/gay) or at least questioning.

He has had several girlfriends on and off but his everything about his personality and background (grew up dancing in musical theater) and 70 percent of his general mannerisms don't align with any straight person I know. And to be honest, the main thing for me is what I sense from his body language and what I see in his eyes.

In conversation I have sometimes made little jokes about him being gay with him (and he has done the same with me) in the last few years. He never says "but I'm not gay" or shows any denial, he just laughs it off. Occasionally he says "she's super fit" about a girl, usually a celebrity, but it feels like he's just saying it - especially in front of other straight guys.

Really I know that it's up to him to figure this out for himself and if he is gay/bi then come out if and when he chooses. The thing is, I just feel strongly that he is dying to come out and wants someone to make that process easier for him. I'm not out myself but I was thinking sometime of maybe confiding in him that I'm bi/fluid/whatever because I am sick of feeling closeted too. I just see so many parallels of myself in my friend. I'm older than him and I wish I had a friend who would have helped me come out years ago.

The difficult part is - what if I am wrong? I would make a fool of him and me.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey.

I think your idea of confiding in him about your sexuality is a great idea, opening up yourself to him is the most likely way for him to open up to you in return. Other than that you cant to much apart from just making it clear that if anyone came out to you you would be supportive etc.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Southpaw,

If you are comfortable Coming Out to him, that could be a great way to show trust and see if he reciprocates. However, in the meantime, maybe you could show him that you are LGBTQ-friendly by occasionally bringing up LGBTQ issues that come up in conversation, happen to be in the news, etc and giving your supportive views on those issues. That will also give you a chance to get a feel for his views on those issues.

Just a thought.:slight_smile: