1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blind Approach

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TigerTiger, May 27, 2017.

1. TigerTiger

Hi. Little bit of background before I ask the question; last time a asked a guy out I was physically assaulted and had to run for my life... Long story short I met a gorgeous guy the other day and I want to ask him out for a drink, but I'm nervous cos I don't know if he is gay... Any advice would be awesome. :help:

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey TigerTiger,

Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

So was the guy that you asked and who assaulted you a random guy or did you know him?

How do you know this new guy that you want to ask out?

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe rather than just asking him out you could bring up some LGBT topics and see how he reacts to those. It won't tell you whether or not he is gay or interested but it might give you a clue if he will react really hostile.

4. TigerTiger

Hi again.

In response to the questions asked by "Quantumreality"...
    1. The first guy I met in a bar in Perth during the pride fest. Not a gay bar, and I didn't know him.
    2. This new guy I like works at a fast food restaraunt... And it's more of a crush really

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O.K. Just trying to understand the context.

So, the first guy was offended because you just approached him out of the blue in a bar and asked him out, but he was straight and instead of simply saying 'no', he turned out to be really homophobic, got offended, and assaulted you?

Then, this new guy. Does he have any reason to know that you're gay? There is no reason that you can't ask him if he'd like to hang out with you and maybe get a beer or something. If he says no, then he's clearly not interested. If he says yes, you could use the occasion to get to know him better and maybe determine his views on LGBTQ issues - like maybe mention that you saw an article or news story on Gay marriage recently and ask him about his view on that... Just don't call this first meeting a date. Straight guys have no problem being asked to hang out with other guys, but calling it a date clearly has other implications and I would recommend you try to get to know him better before approaching him with your romantic interest.

Does that help?

#5 Quantumreality, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  6. TigerTiger

Hi. Yeah guy at the bar didn't like me commenting on how cute he was...

And thanks for the advice, I will definitely try just asking him out for drinks