1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I stop being lonely?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tre, May 28, 2017.

1. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm pretty lonely. I end up oversharing, talking at people instead of with them, mistrusting people and just being weird in general. I know I act like this because I'm just lonely. How can I stop acting like this and make some actual friends. Should I just hang out with people who pity me and later dump them for real friends?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why are you lonely?

3. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No friends. I also had friends as a kid who made me feel subhuman. So I don't really trust people. I wonder where I can find people who don't make me feel subhuman.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it because of the things you listed? I certainly do not mind if people talk at me, overshare and act weird, but it's another story if you're having troubles because you can't find common interests, or if there's another factor we don't know about.

Having trust issues doesn't prevent you from making good friends, thankfully. It may take longer to do so, but it isn't impossible.

What kinds of friends would you like to have?

And, are you okay with online friends? People on the internet are easier to befriend, in my experience, because you can find people with similar interests quicker, and if something bad happens, you can control the situation better. However, if you're someone who would like to go out with someone in person, having online friends might not make you any less lonely. I can't say anything about that though, because the majority of friends I make are on the internet.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would suggest finding groups/classes who do things that you're interested in. That could include arts and crafts, music, sports, martial arts, various fandoms, gaming (video or board), anime, etc. When you have a common connection, chances are you will find people who have even more similar interests.

6. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Couldn't​ agree more. Do something you genuinely enjoy, to give yourself a chance of meeting people with whom you have things in common. Good luck and have fun doing something you love!