1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended family problems

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by xballetxbeautyx, Jun 13, 2009.

1. First off, a bit of info on my family tree: my grandparents had three daughters. The oldest, my mom, is gay. The middle, my aunt, is also gay. The youngest is not. I want to come out to my grandparents (not anytime soon, but I'm just thinking about the future here) but I'm worried about how they would take it what with already having so much gayness in the family. My sister recently confessing to me that she had a crush on one of her female friends and the fact that grandma and grandpa seem to think I'm dating my gay male best friend don't help matters.

Advice?

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Hi there! First off (*hug*)

Go for it. There seems to be a large amount of gay people in your family which is rare. With that many, I doubt it'll be that bad. Plus, if anything else, you could contact them! :slight_smile:

3. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey there!!

Obviously I don't know your grandparents but it seems as if they have had quite a bit of education in the whole gay thing so I'm sure it will be fine. At the end of the day I am 100% sure they would just want you to be happy and honest with how you feel. Grandparents/most people just assume that you want to date someone of the oppersite sex as, well, that's what usually happens and people can be sensitive about sexuality so not many would be like "so.. any nice girls?" unless they had evidence!

So try not to worry about it, just be yourself and on the positive side they will probably understand things better than most! Have you spoken to your mum about it? Surely she came out to them once and will maybe be able to give you an insite into their feelings about things?

But whenever you do it, I am sure it will be fine and at the end of the day your happiness is far more important than a label! Good luck with it all.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From the looks of it, I don't think you have to worry too much about coming out to your grandparents. In many ways it could actually make your coming out to your grand parents easier because there are already family members living their lives openly and the way it is meant to be. Given that, it seems that your grandparents are accepting and open. What you could also do, before coming out to your grandparents, maybe talk with your mum about it (if you haven't done so already). Coming out to grandparents and other family members is always hard but it seems that things should just go fine.

#4 Mirko, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) If your grandparents are accepting of your mother and your aunt, I suspect that they'll be just as accepting of you. Also, I bet your mum and aunt would be on your side and could help explain anything to your grandparents that they need to hear a different perspective on :slight_smile: