1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The only male in your family?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by malachite, Jan 18, 2010.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I am the only boy in my family, I.E. there is no one to carry on my family name. Is anyone else in this situation, and if so does it bother you?

2. SolitaryKnight

I am in the same boat. I am the only child of my parents, and my grandparents had a son and daughter (my father and aunt respectively). So I've thought about that before. To me, the bloodline is not important. I wouldn't want a child of my own anyway. If I ever have a child, I will adopt one because there are more than enough children in the world and so many need a parent.

3. Elven

I'm also the only one to pass on the family name but I suppose its nothing feel guilty about, I have a sister to continue the family genes so who cares if i'm a genetic dud, the name might continue through adopted children I suppose, if I adopt.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I'm the only male too but it really doesn't bother me, there are tons of males on my grandfathers side with our last name.

5. kettleoffish

nada, I have a brother. My last name is Smith anyway, so not exactly much 'carrying it on' to worry about anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. RainInAfrica

I'm in the same situation, But theres another child on the way so hopefully it's a straight male :lol::lol:

7. Holmes

I have a younger brother, but as I said before, he's probably gay too. But the name doesn't bother me, I care more about genetics, so my sister will look after that.

8. Zume

I'm the only boy of 3 siblings..so I'm in the same situation..but I really don't care..both of my sisters have kids so the family lives on that way atleast. It ends with me in our small corner of the family. Not planning on even adopting..that may change further down the road but haven't decided yet...

9. HackmanWIU

I am only boy, and it hasn't even come up.

10. Yes, I'm the only male. Even all of my cousins are girls.

I don't really care at this point, though. My last name sounds like an Irish BBQ joint. It's beyond stupid. :rolleyes:

11. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i told them i am changing my last name to something that sounds better with my first

(my father really never cared for me; he left the family)

12. I'm the only male on my father's side, as well. Aside from my sister, I only have one cousin, and I don't think she's planning on having children.

Honestly, the whole spiel about carrying on the family name doesn't bother me in the slightest; when I was younger, I actually wanted to change my last name as soon as I became an adult, which I'm still thinking about doing, although to a much lesser degree.

13. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I have one sister, and no brothers. As for cousins - my uncle recently married into a family, and the kids kept their previous name, and I don't think there are any more kids on the way. So yah, I'd be the only one to let the name continue. As for the genes - it's up to my sister and I. I want to say that my sister can be trusted to have a baby (she's absolutely in love with them), however she's absolutely freaked out by the pregnancy process. I wouldn't put it past her to just adopt. Which leaves me. But that's really no problem. I've always wanted to be a dad, and I'm really a bit obsessed with having my own children. I don't have anything against adoption - it's just that I really really want to see my offspring (pretty vain, i guess).

Here's a dream situation that I have, if science isn't able to advance far enough to allow two males to put their genes into a child. Well - my partner and I would both father a child. My sister would carry his baby, and I could find someone in his family that would carry mine. It's a bit messed up I guess (our kids would have a hell of a time with naming relatives... he's your uncle and your father???), but I see it as being the closest thing to genetic offspring. wow, this actually sounds really weird...

14. x2x2x2x2y2

I have three older bros, not too mention a ton of guy cousins. And nephews. Lol

p.s. I totally wanna know FlawlessErrors last name now!! Haha

15. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an only child. I do have male cousins, most of whom are straight, so they can carry on the family name all they want. I've personally never cared about that anyway. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things, anyway? I've decided that if for some reason I decide to have a child, I'll adopt. But I wanna find a man to spend my life with first. :slight_smile:

16. RaeofLite

There's no boy in our family. Thus I am likely the only one "able" to carry on the name since I'm not necessarily expected to take my wife's name when I marry. Whereas my younger sister is straight so... yea.

And I don't even know if I want children yet... But if I do I'd likely adopt so the name could get passed on that way?

17. riddlerno1

I have straight cousins that will carry on the family name. I am just a bit worried that im the only son my parents have (i have a sister) so my dad might be disappointed that his specific genes/name will not be carried foward as having a 'boy' is so great in the culture for carrying your dads name foward

18. shorty

Both my older sister and brother had only girls, and yep, the pressure was on for me to have a son for a while there. My parents have pretty much given up on me having kids, but they still think I have a large contingent of girls chasing me around wanting to bare my children :slight_smile:

19. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess in a roundabout way I am. :confused: I'll let you decide:

Granted, I have a brother, but we don’t have the same father. He’s technically my half brother. I have one male cousin through my father’s family, but he doesn’t carry the family name because his mother (my aunt) shacked up with someone she met in prison :slight_smile:lol: I laugh every time I think of this) and thus my cousin was conceived. My paternal grandfather was tickled pink when I was born, or so I’ve been told by various witnesses, and I was dubbed his official grandson. He got sort of pissed when my eyes turned brown, and when I got a Baby Bop stuffed animal for Christmas, and later refused to fish with him. He died when I was 7, I think. I don’t remember much of him anyway.

I hate my last name anyway, and it doesn’t mean anything to me. I actually want to change it instead of carrying it on. At the very least I intend to change the spelling of it back to the original spelling so it looks and sounds better.

20. haelmarie

Three boys, so there's no pressure at all.