1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Apr 26, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

I love my bother and sister in law and their kids, but I haven't seen them in over half a year. We don't live far from each other; Ive been sorta avoiding them. I'm afraid of getting close to them. They're really great but can be very judgy and they gossip alot. The past few years, I had been going over and spending the night at their house almost every weekend.

But now, I'm realizing that I'll have to tell them I'm gay one day. I'm afraid they won't accept me. I love them so much(and I'm 100% sure they love me) but it's not crazy to imagine them disliking me for being gay. My 11 year old niece was talking about a friends family and that one of the brothers was gay. She said somehing along the lines of "geez, they must have alot of problems." I'm sure she learned to think like this from her parents. They're just like that at times.

So now I'm torn. I loved hanging out with them but I don't wanna be sad if the don't accept me later. But I don't wanna just completely avoid them either. What should I do?

Also, on a side note, I'm afraid to get close to anyone because I fear rejection. How should I get over this? I don't have anyone that I'm close to and I hate it.

2. Eleanor Rigby

You know, it seems that many people do homophobic comments whithout really thinking of this, until one of their loved ones come out to them one day, and they suddenly realize that sexual orientation has really nothing to do with being a good person or not. It's not always the case, so I can't guarantee you it's going to happen this way, but if they love you, they may realise that it's still you and keep loving you just the same.
    Have you discussed the idea of coming out to your brother and sister in law with you mother ? She might help you with this.
    I understand that you fear rejection, especially coming fom family and friends, and once again, there is no guarantee that you're never going to face it because of your sexual orientation. But it's very likely that most people around you won't care. And it's sad to isolate yourself because of your fear. Maybe some people won't accept you, but that will only be a few people, for most people, coming out to them will probably help your closeness to grow, I think it's worth the try. And you're only 16, you'll have all your life to meet new people and grow new friendship with people who are going to accept who you are. Don't be afraid (*hug*)