1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attire and Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Love etc, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Love etc

I was handing out job applications today so I wore something feminine. ...But I didn't want to. Ugh. I felt so out of place. My mom and sis happened to catch me at the mall and saw what I was wearing and kept complimenting me.

I thanked them but told them to please stop since I wasn't exactly comfortable with what I was wearing. My family is fairly traditional in gender roles as with other things, and my parents can't seem to see that I like wearing gender neutral or masculine clothing. I feel comfortable and myself in it.

Like the other day, I was packing, and mom found my ties and small fedora and she didn't like it. My family just doesn't get it. I'm not sure what I should say to my family... "Yes, I like to cross dress. That's how I feel comfortable."?? That's too out their for them I think... :frowning2:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As weird as it might seem, it's probably best that you just accept their non-acceptance. What should you say to your family? "This is what I like wearing." Then wear it. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Eleanor Rigby

You know, my mother keeps telling me she doesn't like what I'm wearing : she think it's too tight or it's too bright or it's too dark, that my hair are too blond or too long, that my ear rings are too big and that my makeup is too dramatic but when I don't wear some, she complains I'm not feminine enough...
    You know what ? I don't care. I keep telling her, ok mum, you don't like it, but I do. And that's all. I don't make any drama out of it, but I don't stop wearing what I like just to please her. And things are perfectly fine this way.
    Wear whatever you want and when you have to face nasty comments about what you wear, just say "Ok, you don't like it, but I do." and if they are very agressive about it, you can add "I don't like what you're wearing either, but as long as it suits you, it's fine by me." and walk away.

4. Love etc

Yeah, I need to work on being more assertive. Thanks.

5. Eleanor Rigby

That's something that takes time :slight_smile: Just keep in mind you don't have to fight about it, and that it's not because your parents don't like the way you dress that they're right.
    In fact, in this situation, there is no "right or wrong", it's just a matter of personal taste, just as liking chocolate or pop music.
    Try to work on not taking their comments on your look more personnaly than you would do about liking chocolate. And when you have enough of their comments, don't lose your temper but tell them something among the line "I'm happy that at least we can agree on the fact we disagree about that. That's already something." Humor is often a good way to cool things of.
    (*hug*) Cécile