1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slight family drama

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by yourillusion, Nov 1, 2010.

1. yourillusion

So my Grandmother talked to my uncle today. He's not especially close, just in touch every so often. She says he asked her about my coming out as a lesbian on facebook. What? I told her a month ago I *thought* I was bi (I do know, it was just easier to say that to her...) and that I'd mentioned it on facebook once and that I have a lot of gay and bi friends and I support them too, sometimes with posts on facebook.

Anyway, where he got my facebook info from I don't know! I'm not friends with him on there although he does have a facebook. However, his son (an adult, late 30's) I'm friends with on facebook.

So... apparently they discuss my sexuality? Pleasant! It's making me want to take my 'interested in' (men & women) back off facebook. But I feel like that would be going back in the closet. What do you think? :help: ?

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I say make a list of friends for you family members on facebook and restrict what they can see.

I had to do the same. My family members basically see a blank page and some pictures(you can choose which album to show) and I avoid all of the drama :slight_smile:

3. yourillusion

Thanks. I did go in and block some family from seeing parts of my profile. But I did have to list them separately. Can you make a list and save it, so that certain status updates are hidden from them too?

4. x2x2x2x2y2

This is why I hate Facebook. So many old/older people in there. lol

If he seems ok with it, then why not leave it up there?? Or like TheEdend said, restrict what certain people see.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Yep, you can make a list and put all of the people you want to block there. You can choose to hide pretty much everything from pictures you are tagged in, your wall, pics, comments. Anything!

Play around with it then test it out. I asked my sister and a couple of friends to test it out for me before I was confident about how much it hides.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main reason I advocate people come out of the closet is because, at that point, all this stuff becomes moot. You literally stop caring who knows, or how they found out, or who else they might tell. Instead of getting too worked up over it, just figure that's one less person you have to decide when/how to tell. :slight_smile:

Lex