1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by QuilsQ, Feb 19, 2011.

1. QuilsQ

I recently moved in with my cousin because I really didn't anywhere else to go. Well I didn't know that he was a religious person and has some anti-gay views. He is one of the few family members I have not come out to yet. I don't know if I should be looking for somewhere else to stay or tell him and hope for the best.

2. Fintan

What religion is he? If Christian what denomination?

I think I'd ask him questions surrounding the issue and feel him out a bit. How old is your cousin? And how did the rest of your family take it? Are they the same religion as him?

3. QuilsQ

He's a 27 year old catholic. The rest of the family took it hard at first but they got used to it. It just seems like he doesn't like gays.

4. TheJoker

I advise you too look for another place.Until you find such a place don't tell.Does he come out and tell you he is straight? No.So you don't have to tell anything. :icon_bigg If you tell he might be okay with it or not.If not you can go the place you found. I think thats most logical view as an outsider.

5. Fintan

I dunno... 27 and Catholic in New York.. seems like he would probably get used to it pretty quickly. But you know him better than us, so feel it out. Most Catholics recognise the importance of the Church and Pope... but don't agree on everything the Church says, aka contraception, etc

Also, its one thing to not like gays or not believe in "homosexuality". Its another thing to disown your little cousin who you let move in with you =) I think he'd probably try to find a way to understand it and accept you. But you know him better than I.

#5 Fintan, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. QuilsQ

I think I'm just going to tell him and hope for the best

7. padre411

Hey- I can't tell if you are religious which is fine. Just don't let your cousin try to say that being gay is unchristian or an abomination because that is crap. Plenty of Christian denominations affirm the inherent goodness of homosexuality including a few Roman Catholics.

If he's curious how this can be I'd be happy to help you explain it to him. I am an Episcopal priest. If he wants to stand firm in his position then he is choosing bigotry. The question at that point is whether he can keep it to himself.

8. Aya McCabre

It might be a good idea to have somewhere else to stay before you tell.... just in case. Even if it's just a friend letting you sleep on a couch for a week or so while you figure things out.

9. QuilsQ

So I told him today and he seemed to take it better than I thought he would. He didn't seem angry but I could tell he was disappointed. He then told me that he wasn't going to disown me or anything like that. He told me if I ever need him for anything he would be there. It felt so good to tell him and have him accept me.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's awesome! Congrats on telling him and I'm glad he is still there for you :slight_smile: