1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ignorant homophobics in my family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ICTOAUN, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ICTOAUN

whenever my family sees a gay person, they make fun of them. i get so mad. i need to find a way to make them stop without seeming gay myself. advice?

2. Olive

If that were to happen to me, I'd say 'Wow, that sucks.' Whenever they make a remark.

Next time that happens, just ask why they make fun of them. If they start accusing, play it off as simple curiosity.

3. JaeScheisse

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have the same problem in my family. I just don't see the reason why they have a need to do so.. It makes me think my family's a bunch of hypocrits.

4. maverick

Iowa's advice is good. Back when I was in the closet, my family made homophobic remarks all the time. But now that I'm out, my family is a lot more conscious of what they say and pretty much only make fun of gay people that are asking to be laughed at:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7moGlHRNi8[/YOUTUBE]

Case in point: They think this movie is hilarious. I'm sure it has whole new comedic layers now. Sometimes I act campy just to make my dad laugh.

Once people find out they have a gay person in the family, they often change their tune and avoid hurtful remarks. I feel like my dad subtlely teases me about being gay all the time, but my mom is still shell-shocked about me coming out and her discomfort keeps her from finding anything humorous about it.

With my dad, it seems almost like a case of, "I can tease you for being gay all I want, but if anyone else did it, I would kick their teeth in."

How do they make fun of gay people Io? Do they have a sense of humor about it, or are they disgusted/contemptuous? If you give us some examples, maybe we can give you some ideas for witty retorts. I'm pretty sure it's a prerequisite that we know at least a couple. :lol: