1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Family Won't Listen To Me!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Zak, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak

:tears: They won't listen to me and im trying to tellthem i'm gay. I feel like im 0, zip, nada, nothing. im so confuzzled! i need some help on how to tell my family I am gay.:tears: :bang:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Try writing them a letter instead of talking to them.

3. Zak

Zak

ty, ill try

4. SkyTears

If you do give them a letter tell us how it goes.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

When you say they don't believe you, what do you mean? Do they tell you its a phase? Do they just deny it?

6. Zak

Zak

phase, im sending an e-mail

7. Louise

You could also download some of the resources on this site to give to your parents. Denial is SOOOOoooo much easier than facing facts.

If they don't listen it is not that you are a 0 or that you don't exist it is just that what you are saying is too hard for your parents to hear so they take refuge in denial.

Read the stages of grief that many parents go through on the support and advice section. This will give you a better understanding of what is going on in your parents minds.

I would say, give them time to come round, don't give up, send them an e-mail, and a second one and a third one if necessary, get them some resources; there are many good books on homosexuality until they realise that this isn't a phase, this is your life.

Hang on in there, don't dispair, we are here to help you, you will get there but sometimes you have to accept to take baby steps and apparently this is something really really hard for your parents.

8. Zak

Zak

y did i have to have this burdon!? im fine with bing gay, but all the issues you have to deal wit is rediculous! ID think im gonna tell my family. last night I asked them if they were homophobic(saying it was part of a sheet of Q's i had to ask people, rlly not) and all my bros and dad said yes. Ugg i want a better/cooler family then mine. I wish I was adopted!

9. SlickyPants

I wouldn't even bother trying to convince them. For me, I knew at your age that I was gay as I'm sure you do as well. Your parents... Most parents would have a hard time thinking that it was anything more than just a phase.

My advice is this. Don't stress over telling them. You tried to, they didn't believe you. That's fine. You only get to be thirteen once and for me it was a fun time and it'd be a shame if I'd wasted it being stressed out about what my parents thought of me. As you get older, your parents will start taking these kinds of things more seriously and might be a better time to tell them again.

10. awesomeistori

Out Status:
    A few people
    This was a while ago...