1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Family Think I'm Messed Up...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by H3LP M3 0UT, Jan 1, 2012.

1. H3LP M3 0UT

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure whether I should be worried or not.. here is the story..

I'm a teenage boy in highschool.. I watch project runway and when my parents see me watching it, they give this strange look. My sister gives me the same strange looks when I don't give any interest in "pretty girls" she points out. And I get even stranger looks when I let a comment slip about a guy or they see me on this type of website...

I'm worrying that they're figuring out that I'm gay. Would it be easier or better to just tell them before they figue it out or what? I'm so confused. I just don't want them to approach me about it or try to do something crazy. Help..:confused:

2. Raug

Well. I hide it pretty well. But they still notice. I'm planning on telling them soon.

3. TraceElement

Are you ready to come out?

4. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

I am all for talking to parents about how you feel if they are generally understanding. They may just be some of your greatest supporters in the long run. But it really depends on you and when you feel comfortable expressing yourself to them. Wiith my parents there was awkwardness, but it was good to get it out in the open and it's gotten easier to talk with them about it over the years. Interestingly enough, they don't agree with anything other than being straight, but still, they love me. You can also all start dealing with it together. This is just food for thought if you think they'll be open to simply hear how you feel.

5. stumble along

I mean if theyve catched you going on to sites like this, if I was a parent I'd prolly highly suspect that my son isn't as straight as I thought.
    Sorry for trying to look at it from a parents point of view but you've kinda let the cat out of the beg with that

I mean, project runway, lol I have tons of normal friends that watch just because when they get home they dont care whats on they just watch tv and eat, and moms like to watch oxygen apparently. And Americas next top model as well haha

I can't really be able to help with the sister issue, but depending on the comments about guys, of could also be a red flag as well, but if its along the lines of 'he looks good/fit/well dressed' that's fine, you can even get away with jokingly saying they are hot, though if they notice you comment more on guys than girls then yeah they probably might suspect.

If I were you I'd just try tos tell them how you feel.

6. Tracker57

Speaking as a parent, they probably have a good idea that you're gay or have strong suspicions. (especially if they know you're on this site) The question will be how you time actually confirming their suspicions. There's no rush and no magic timetable...so take your time.

And I'm not out to my entire family and they all still think I'm messed up. I like being messed up and keeping them guessing and a little uncomfortable all the time. It's fun.

7. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I'm pretty sure that your parents know, it only makes sense because of the stuff you said that you're doing around them, by the way I like project runway too! Anyway, your parents are less likely to react badly when they realize that you felt safe enough to tell them.

8. IanGallagher

It sounds like your parents know dude. I mean, I and other bi/straight guys, parents know that we like girls because they catch us checking out girls or trying to puff out our muscles to catch their attention or unconsciously smile when one checks us out. These are all things parents notice easily. The fact that you aren't - IN ADDITION to the fact that you've been pointing out GUYS that you like. It's a no brainer for anyone who knows you - you're a gay dude. It just seems like they're saying "hey, we know somethings going on here." They're not pushing for you to come out. But, you're definitely going to be the case of "oh, we know already that" reactions. Given that they haven't said anything negative, they'll be supportive too. My parents had no idea. But, just taken from the suspicion that seems to be there already and how they're handling it - sounds like good news.

#8 IanGallagher, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They pretty much know.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll add to the chorus. They likely know, particularly if they've seen you here on EC or on other sites.

So perhaps it's time to have the conversation with them. It can be daunting, but it sounds like they've already had time to think about it, so it probably won't be a huge shock to them.

Let us know if you need help in figuring out how to come out to them, and please keep us up to date on what you decide and what happens.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They most likely already know. They haven't reacted badly so far, so I would just talk to them about your feelings when your ready.

12. JamesD

Seems like they probably already have a pretty good idea. They may just be waiting for you to bring it up. They may not want to make you uncomfortable by bringing it up. Or, it could be that they know but don't want to confront the issue at all and are hoping you don't bring it up.

Whether, when and how to come out to them really depends a lot on what you think their reaction would be if you came out to them.

Keep talking about it here and with people you trust. You'll figure it out!