1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family being Homophobic

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BajanBoy13, Mar 29, 2012.

1. BajanBoy13

(They dont know about me)

So I was out for dinner last night in SouthHampshire and the restaurant we went to had some good looking waitresses (and waiters :wink: and my older brother was checking one out and my parents where making jokes because it was really obvious :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So suddenly my mum says 'I've got him figured out (my brother) but not you (and looks at me :s) all I could do was smile :'(

What should I do I probably shouldn't come out to them right?Just my friends?

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

That isn't homophobic lol, being homophobic is when they descriminate and show signs of predjustice against gays, unless you left that part out?

Depends, are your family religious? Do you have any doubt that they won't kick you out or disown you if you do?

If you're sure you're safe then as long as you're ready come out, has to be done eventually so I say the sooner the better, even if they take it badly you're giving them more time to adjust by coming out early, so when you finally do come out it won't be "hi mum, I'm gay - and this is my boyfriend" instead they should be fine with you being gay once you get one :wink:

More detail would be good if you don't feel safe though.

3. BajanBoy13

It's not like they're aggressive or anything. it's just more like just they're against gays because they grew up in a religious society maybe,idk.Maybe if they knew I was gay they would be less against it.

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2012 at 07:01 PM ----------

They still seem to think I'm straight even though when they point out a hot girl to me I don't really take them on.Kinda my way of inadvertently telling them :slight_smile:

4. Of Mice and Men

My parents do that a lot, too. I was raised in a really liberal family that are avid supporters of gay rights, but they still don't even to be slightly aware that I've been questioning my sexuality. I'd say just keep to yourself like me, or maybe just say that you're not interested in a relationship with anybody if somebody asks.

5. BajanBoy13

Yeah it kinds sucks doesn't it? You just want to say no I'm not intrested -.-

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well it sounds like you're ready to come out if you feel this way, when I was closetted those sort of comments by my family never used to bother me, when they staretd to bother me I came out shortly after (a few weeks maybe.)

Anyway my family used to always say things like that and my mother would make remarks like "theres always so many gay people on T.V now" in a tone that makes you know she wasn't just stating the obvious.

Anyway, my mother is totally accepting and was as soon as I told her, my father has actually yet to even acknowledge me being gay, and I came out months ago! I'm not even sure if he knows but my mother said she told him so I guess he just doesn't really care, better than rejection.

You could maybe make casual conversation to lure the conversation into an informative talk for you, maybe watch a T.V. show with a parent/(s) with a gay character in and lure the convo into talking about said gay character, you could then ask questions such as "I've always wondered, is being gay actually a choice?" if they respond with a negative remark or a yes, then you could say something like "But I never chose to be straight, and the idea of being with a guy repulses me, isn't that the opposite of what gays feel?" I should think that would give you some basic prospective on your parents thought of the matter.

Hope I helped, all the best.

7. BajanBoy13

Thanks a lot tis helps a million :slight_smile: