1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you have a disfunctional family?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dkny, May 23, 2012.

1. dkny

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how many of us came from a disfunctional family (parents divorced, gay father, etc). I think I'm gay. I come from a pretty normal/happy family. My parents are convinced that children from disfunctional families are more likely to be gay. Is this true?

2. Deaf Not Blind

I doubt it. But dont know.
    My family is only normal in appearance not in words and hidden deeds.

3. LailaForbidden

No, i am lucky enough to have been born into a very good family.. although its not perfect of course.

4. Just Passing

My family isn't disfunctional, so in that aspect I'm rather fortunate.

As for the more likely to be gay thing if in a disfunctional family, I find that too be pretty untrue. You can be gay regardless of your family situation.

5. Bolin

In a word, yes. My family is highly dysfunctional. I guess it doesn't help that none of my family members have ever had a therapist (I have a rather large family...my mom has 8 siblings, most of whom have between 2-7 children, so it's rather shocking that not one of them has ever gotten help). My mother and her siblings had to go through a lot of abuse when they were growing up...my grandfather was a tyrant. It kinda spilled into their adult lives. Not all of my aunts and uncles are on speaking terms, and they regularly bad-talk each other. As for my immediate father, I have the typical drug using, alcoholic "missing dad," and my mother and two sisters are very...oppressive, to say the least. So, yeah...I have a dysfunctional family.

6. Dominic

Dominic Guest

I don't think having a dysfunctional family has anything to do with being gay or bi or anything really. I am so blessed to have a great family (that sometimes annoys the heck out of me and has regular arguments).

7. King

King Guest

My family is exceptionally normal, I think.
    My mom stayed home with my siblings and I until I was maybe six, then she went to work while my oldest brother babysat my brother, sister and I. then when I was 15, my parents separated...
    And I'm gay, so. I don't agree.

8. dkny

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    or more specifically--biological parents having divorced?

9. RealityCheck

My parents are divorced and have been since I was 5. No real issues from it for me. I grew up in a loving environment being raised by my grandparents. I'm positive none of these things had an influence on my sexual orientation. In fact, my parents are the only people on either side of my family that I know of that have ever been divorced.

10. Nintenfreak92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My family is highly dysfunctional. My bio dad and my mom have been separated for almost my entire life. My mom has multiple psychological problems and recently my step dad left my mom after telling her that he hasn't loved we for the last 10 years. That being said, I would like to say, that every family has some level of dysfunction... And that no matter what there will always be an exception to the rule. Some one could say that people are gay people only grow up in healthy stable homes... If you are questioning your sexuality, it's best to not look at the why's, most people will never find that answer and they will search their entire lives for it.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My immediate family is really close, as is my dad's side of the extended family. There's a lot of medical stuff to deal with, given that my mum has a genetic condition which was passed onto my sister and myself, but generally, my parents, sister and I get along really well.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family has their normal fights... but other than that we are pretty normal.

13. BudderMC

I suppose my family is dysfunctional, though I don't like that term. We have problems. Every group of people has problems, just some bigger than others.

But to tl;dr all of my life's history, my dad was an alcoholic, causing a lot of problems since my teens. And my parents have been separated for 8 months or so now. I actually came out (not to them) before they split though.

To answer your original question: are people from dysfunctional families more likely to be gay? No. The generally accepted idea is that sexuality is predetermined, or at least at a very very young age, and is much more of a "nature" than "nurture" issue. I'm sure if you did a massive study, you might possibly find some non-causal correlation between LGBT children and dysfunctional families, but that doesn't mean much.

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I don't really like to call any family that is simply divorced dysfunctional because divorce, to me, can be an excellent move to stay a supportive family and solve many problems, but for the sake of the argument I'll go with that :slight_smile:

Like everyone else said, how you are raised has very little do with whether you are gay or not. The myth is based on very old studies done by Freud, and the studies have been proven wrong over and over again by multiple studies and people. We don't quite know how someone is gay, but we do know that some things don't have any effect on sexuality.

As for me, I come from a family with parents who are not divorced and have always been there for my sis and I. I really couldn't ask for better parents in any way.

15. BleedToLoveHer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My family is insane. I have eleven brother and sisters in total. I can't even begin to tell you the dysfunction, both of my parents are re-married.

16. Jonathan

My parents got divorced when I was 3. My dad remarried a few years later and I got two step-sisters out of that. My mom and my step-dad aren't technically married, but they've been together since a few years after the divorce. From that I got my little half brother, two step-sisters and a step-brother. I wouldn't say that my family is dysfunctional, but it's had it's ups and downs. Like others have mentioned though, I don't think that a family situation like that influences one's sexuality.

17. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :badgrin: dysfunctional families? We on hubby's side, his dad makes lots of deals but can't deliver on promises, so we end up forking up loads of cash for his shit. (I've stopped that). His mom, she likes to tell stories, even though they are not true. She loves stabbing her own family in the back, so we keep her as far away as possible. His brothers and sisters, half of them don't speak to the other half. :tantrum:

As for my side... my older sister's husband is a lazy ass cheating asshole, and so is my younger sister's husband. (currently my younger sister are not on speaking terms with my mom, cause my mom scold her husband out and told him to stop being lazy, and pull his finger out of his ass and start working.)

As for my mom and dad, they are the only two normal people in the family!!!!(!)

18. TheTwoOfUs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Define dysfunctional. Lol. I think my family is pretty normal... My parents have been married for 47 years, and I'm the youngest of 7 kids. I'm the only one that came out a lesbian. I don't think the way you're raised can make you gay.

19. TeenninjaXD

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most gay children come from pretty normal families, personally i must say my family is pretty disfunctional but there you go, i doubt there's any kind of link though! Science has proven that there probably is a "gay" gene...not sure how that helps to define bisexuality or anythig else outside the black or white world we sometimes live in but there you go. I reckon having a disfunctional family if anything probably means it's just takes a bit longer and it's a bit harder to come out and accept it but there you go XD

20. angelicbabe8

my family is dysfunctional but my bro and 3 sisters are all straight. I am the unique one in my family lol
    how ever everyone Ive known has some dysfunction/s in their family but they are straight. I was the only gay one :lol: