1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really think that I'm starting to not like my family.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SriManayaDasan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Okay...I love my family. However, I don't think I really like them.

My Mom has always been my favorite of the parents (yes, you can chose favorites when it comes to parents), however, as of late, I think she is slightly lacking in the parental department. She's fairly distant, depressed and doesn't seem like she cares very much anymore. My sister and her 5 kids are living with my parents, because of legal issues. The house is always crowded (they live in a double wide), groceries are depleting much quicker and she has actually told me that she is digging into her retirement, as well as my siblings and I's inheritance, in order to support my sister and her children. However, in all this, my mom doesn't really seem like she is doing anything to better the situation. Instead of actually trying to do what little she could do to improve anything, she insists that she has "faith that it is in God's plan" and that she "prays that things will get better".

My Dad is an a**hole. Plain and simple. He was an alcoholic (he did quit drinking about a year and a half ago, so I will give him that), thinks that if you don't do things his way then you are doing it wrong (ie:an idiot) and during my developmental childhood and teenage years, when I needed his guidance, he would get drunk and emotionally berate me. Such as calling me a "pussy" because I didn't want to work under the house. And there were a few times where he did slap me. His defense was that he spoiled me growing up, which he did. Anything I wanted he would buy. However, material goods mean nothing if there is no emotional bond between a father and son. I think he's trying to establish a new relationship between us now, but I think it's too little too late. Oddly enough, I still love him in a strange way (he does support my dreams and has finally accepted me being gay), but I do not like him and (as horrible as this is going to sound) I don't think I'll be sad when he dies.

My sister is LAZY! She dropped out of high school her last semester of her senior year. She got her GED, but has done nothing nothing with it. No college, never held a job in her life and has 6 children by 4 different men. Like I mentioned above, she recently lost most of them due to legal issues and the court gave them to my parents; all over something stupid that was entirely her fault. She's now starting to notice how bad she messed up, but I don't know if anything is actually going to get better for her.

I would move out, but I work at a part time minimum wage job that pays nothing and most of it goes towards helping me pay for school. The only alternative I can think of is to possibly rent a room from my ex...but that would be a little too awkward.

Any thoughts? I'm I being a brat or am I valid in my statements?

#1 SriManayaDasan, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

When you say education, does that mean you're in college? Because that would make your situation easier. Generally, the less you see of someone, the more you want to see them, so that could maybe be helpful.
    I totally understand not liking your parents. I know mine will almost certainly reject me when/if I come out to them (I might just cut off contact and get loans to pay for college and grad school). I can't offer advice, but I can tell you someone else knows how you feel, and hope that that will help. (*hug*)

3. Jared

I swear if you change a few details this could be my life story. I love my parents, but I can't stand to be around them and I've never liked my dad and I'm starting not to like my mom, she's either distant or a :***: whenever I try to talk to her. Like your's, my parents justified a lot of what they did, my dad's abuse and my mom's self-centeredness, by spoiling me when I was growing up, I'd give up everything they gave just to have a good relationship with my parents. You say that your mom isn't doing anything to try to make the situation better and people like that drive me crazy. My mom expects someone to come in and make all her problems go away with no effort, it's so frustrating. Like you I won't be sad when my dad dies, he didn't even try to have a relationship with me until this summer, but there's way too much hurt there for me to have a good relationship with him.

I don't think you are being a brat at all, unfortunate as it is some families just don't have a good dynamic. I personally hate it when people say that people are bad when they aren't close to their family, for some of us it is a lot healthier to not be close to our families. If you ever want to talk feel free to send me a message, it's kind weird how similar how families are. (*hug*)

#3 Jared, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. Thanks for that. :slight_smile: