1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family Issues

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CalebCael, Oct 14, 2012.

1. CalebCael

Basically I'm only out to my mom and her reaction is... Mixed. She's basically accepting, however, should the topic come up, the tension is tangible. Basically I can't breach the subject without this really awkward feeling, she just stiffens, and gives very uncomfortable sounding responses to anything I say. I don't want this to a be an awkward thing. I want to be comfortable bringing over a girlfriend or possible future girlfriend over to the house without it feeling like some weird thing that that is a girl who I am interested in, and not a guy. Also, she basically says for me not to come out to a lot of people, and I'm pretty aware that she basically thinks I'm in one of the teenage phases. It's rather irritating, as my sexuality quite honestly is far past the point of making me at all uncomfortable. I mean I get that it can take time to adjust to it, but how can someone adjust to anything that's being treated as the elephant in the room. When my sister talks about guys there's no weird vibes, but should I make a reference to being attracted to a female her reactions are awkward. Any advice for dealing with it?

I'm also planning on coming out to my dad but there's rarely a moment that feels appropriate to do so. He's accepting enough, although, apparently it took him a little while to adjust to one of his highschool friends being gay (though it's good now as he was actually just at the friends house (as well as partner)), so I'm not too worried about how he will take it, I know I would just have to bide my time. Usually when me and my dad would go out to walk the dog we would get in all of these intense political and social discussions where sexuality would most assuredly come at some point, which I've missed out on some pretty opportune moments. As the dog is currently not in condition for walks at the beach that inevitably time is out. So I'm just wondering, when the time to come out comes, what's the best way not to chicken out of it?

My sister is going to be home from college starting this Wednesday and I've been meaning to tell her. My sister is probably the least likely of my family to care, but I still have nerves about it because we're extensively close, and I have pretty bad social anxiety issues. I've pretty ruled out any bad reactions and I want her to be aware of the whole thing, because I'm honestly completely fed up hiding parts of myself. I know that coming out over social networking platforms is not a good idea, so I've ruled that out. But what would probably be the best way to just tell her? She's kind of said things that assumed I was straight before so it's kind of obvious that she doesn't know (or she knows and is waiting for me to tell her (I have implied in the best ways I can)). Probably something a bit humourous would be good, because honestly, I'm pretty convinced that if I came out in a nerve ridden fashion it would just be uncomfortable for everyone. Any ideas there, on how to make it just a fairly funny thing?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated!~

2. CalebCael

Seriously does anyone have any advice for all this coming out to family stuff? I really want to just get this all over with...

3. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I can't really make a good suggestion because my family does not know about me either and I'm a long way from telling them I feel, however, I think telling your sister in person maybe one on one would be the best way to tell her. As for your father I think it should be the same way. As far as a time and place, you have to use your judgement. If you want to have a girl over, just tell your mom since she already knows and maybe she will get more comfortable with the situation when she sees that you are happy. I'm sorry this is not much and I'm not the best one for advice on this topic but it may be something to think about. Good luck to you!

4. CalebCael

It definitely helps. I was already planning to come out to them seperately because honestly last time I came out to more than one person was... Chaotic to say the least. I do hope that you're correct about my mom becoming more accepting or comfortable with it. I will definitely inform her before hand for warnings sake. Either way thanks and all that.