1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family Gathering

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Toaddy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Toaddy

Next week i have to spend a few days at my grandmothers house and I'm afraid someone will mention the fact that I am a lesbian. While most of my family is on-board and would never discriminate against me, I don't know how my Grandma will react if it is brought up. She's very religious and is big into the fact that a man and a woman belong together. She doesn't mind homosexuals in general but is not big on the fact of gay marriage. I don't want her to feel the need to change her opinions because of me, she is my only living Grandma and i love her to death, despite her not exactly agreeable opinions. Does anyone have a few words of advice for me, so i don't go into this blindly?

2. runner

Hey. For starters try not to worry(I know easier said than done). You can do one of two things...ask your family to not tell her or mention it in front of her...or you can tell her and see how she reacts...maybe when she finds out that it is her granddaughter she will get on board?

3. Toaddy

Well it may not be that easy, for one thing my family has a big mouth and another im not exactly my grandmother's favorite. Try and try as i might i don't think just being her granddaughter is enough for her.

4. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

So here's the thing about grandparents, you never really r going to understand them. My grandma is the same in beliefs as yours but I've come to understand that she doesn't try to change others. When you live as long as they have most have seen so much hate that there just over it. A friend of mine works at a retirement house and he's gay. Some of the old folks don't approve but most just prefer to see him as a kind young man. I believe your grandma will love you and focus on that. As my grandma said ones to me, " there is to much damn hate going round our small town, if it was water it'd power the generator for years" not the best quote but it sounded cool in Danish.

5. ameliawesome

actually that is a good quote: if hate could fuel generators, or feed the hungry, or shelter the homeless, then hate would be useful. but it can't, so it ain't.

i spend 3 days with my family during thanksgiving, and every year i have a tiny worry about homosexuality being brought up. and it isn't uncommon, i mean it does come up sometimes because my aunt's brother was gay and we have other gay members of the family/friends of the family, it isn't like a taboo topic with my family. i just don't want them to ask me questions about myself. would they bring it up in general, or would they bring up you specifically? it'd be kinda weird for them to bring up your sexuality out of nowhere, though i guess that does happen to some people. it sounds like the same little worry i have, so my advice is simply don't worry about it. it's the same advice i give myself, haha. and if it does come up, maybe try to keep the conversation quiet, ya know? like it doesn't have to be some huge announcement to your grandmother that you're gay. if somebody mentions homosexuality or gay marriage, and then throws you directly into the conversation, you could just participate in the conversation as if it weren't at all about you. make everything you say sound like everyone else in the room has no reason to be shocked because everything you're saying is totally normal and casual. i hope this makes some sense, sorry, i'm really sleepy.