1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orthodox country... Religous family.. need help.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by aUniqueUserName, Dec 13, 2012.

1. aUniqueUserName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Orthodox country... Religious family.. need help.

First of all.. Pardon me for my bad English
    ------------------------------------------------
    I really need help right now..

I have always known that i am definitely not straight and Due to the Orthodox country i live in and social stigma attached to homosexuality, i have always kept convincing my self that i will lead a heterosexual life even if i have to keep lying to myself all my life.. but recently i watched a movie named "Prayers for bobby" and ever since then i am feeling anxiety about myself. I can surprisingly relate to every single thing shown about the movie.. the only difference being bobby's family was christian and mine is Muslim. Like bobby i too have tried to be with a girl but i like guys more. i CAN be with a girl but i dont feel like "myself" while i am with a girl.. and like bobby i too believe in religion and i do believe in god. I have convinced my self that God loves everyone no matter what their sexuality is, but i keep listening to this religious stuff all around me and deep down, some part in my heart still feels that something is "wrong" with me.. I feel like i am at the same stage where bobby was before he came out to his brother. before a year or so, i also unsuccessfully tried to take bunch of aspirin.

I feel like i cant keep lying all my life. someday in someway my lie is gonna fall apart and everyone will know about me..

my country's laws aren't much strict.. but religion and so called cultural values play a major role in deciding social issues. and homosexuality is something which definitely will never be accepted here, at least in my lifespan.. by the time a guy reaches 25 he has to get married. even marriages are "arranged" and love-marriages were considered to be a "taboo" until the past decade. I am 20 right now and i have always felt that, i somehow would "manage" to lead a heterosexual life once my family gets me "arranged" with some girl. but now i feel i must not do it. i cant lie to the girl i am gonna marry..

there are two things

1. I cant come out to people.. it will destroy my whole life. my career my studies everything.. and worst of all, my parents will be devastated. they refer to religion in every single decision they make. i cant imagine how will they even react when i tell them about this.

2. I also cant keep lying to everybody including myself. i HAVE to come out..

As soon as i finish my college my parents will start looking for a girl for me to get married. i have to come out soon before its too late. on the other hand i just cant do it...

I dont know what to do.. I am not at the verge of thinking about suicide but still not to far away from there.. Can anyone please tell me what i can do about this?

#1 aUniqueUserName, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. GuidingLight

First of all, I must commend you for your courage to even talk about it.
    I agreed with you that God loves everyone no matter what because he or she was created in the image of God. I know what you mean when you say that you have to come out. There comes a point in time where its bubbling right under the surface and its harder and harder to hide. I have not come out, my parents suspected in high school. How would being gay ruin your career and studies? Maybe there is a professor that is open minded or even gay to talk to for moral support, at least I'd hope so. The decision to not go through with a heterosexual marriage is really brave and you are being true to yourself :slight_smile: I wish I had that courage. I'm currently married to a guy and I feel guilty for kind of "short changing" him by not really being attracted to him. On the other hand, if you decide to go through with an arranged marriage, do you think you could find an open minded woman? maybe come to some sort of agreement to try and both be happy. Ultimately, that's what you deserve, to be happy. You are not alone going through this. Believe it or not there are other people in the country, even city where you are that are going through the same thing. Plus, this forum is an additional personal cheerleading squad to help you through this tough time :slight_smile:

I hope I helped at least a little,

3. aUniqueUserName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you!! it helped a lot...

And as far as your question is concerned well its quite complicated.. there are people here who dont like gay people. and i dont think i will be able to make progress in my studies and career if i was openly gay.. i may be exaggerating a bit.. but to a certain extent it is true...

and one more thing is that many people here dont even know what being bisexual or homosexual mean.. after taking your advise i finally gathered some courage and decided to tell one of my friend whom i dont see a lot but still i am close to him. this is how our text conversation went.

Me : I am bisexual, that too more toward guys..
    Him : urmmm..
    Me : ?
    Him : So you dont want to be a guy anymore?
    Me : *explained him what that meant*
    Him : huh... okay.! cool

he hasn't replied since..

4. RainbowBright

You will need to be really careful. You have to protect yourself first and foremost. I would not have recommended you come out yet to anyone, because truthfully, are you certain that friend will not tell anyone? I don't want to scare you, but you need to be careful.

You are by no means the only gay Muslim man, in your country or any other. There are Muslim scholars in countries like the US and UK that are beginning to discuss homosexuality in the context of Muslim law and culture. There is now a mosque (it is technically an interfaith center though for safety) in Paris for LGBTQ Muslims. Things are beginning to change, but it is going to take time - especially in predominantly Muslim countries.

Orthodox Jews are beginning to address this issue with some rabbis intentionally setting up gay men and lesbian women in marriage, so they can continue to observe the laws technically, and have children together but are not sexual together for any other purpose. To be honest, this is not really the healthiest thing for the people involved, but it is an option that may be better for those who have no other option other than suicide or being killed. Ironically, since homosexuality appears to have a genetic component, this also increases the likelihood that at least one of the children they have will also be gay, so it doesn't really solve any problems in Jewish society with LGBT people. There are certainly lesbian women where you live, so even if you can't openly ask for that, it might be possible for you to get hooked up with one in marriage.

Another option is moving - a lot of gay men especially have left their Muslim countries for areas they can live more openly as themselves. This is a very hard choice, for so many reasons. But your English is very good, you are obviously educated, you might have some really good work opportunities elsewhere. Perhaps a search online will help you locate a group of others who have done this, to give you an idea of where might be a supportive place to live, so you won't be so isolated from your culture and all you know if you decide to do this. If you do leave, you would not necessarily have to come out to anyone in your family if you did not want to, just let them deal with the decision you have made to move to another country for work or other opportunities, which I'm sure will be hard enough without bringing being gay into it. If they are able to see their love for you separate from religion, they may understand and even support the move if you explained why you are doing it - but if they are likely to reject you and hurl a bunch of religious guilt at you, it might be better not to mention it.

I wish this was not so hard for you. But this is going to change eventually, the internet especially makes the cultural changes in the rest of the world hard to shut out, and there are too many gay people (they say at least 10% in every community) to ignore forever.

In the meantime, there are other Muslim posters here on EC. You may get more help if you post with a title about being Muslim - I have seen other threads there about the same topic, so you may get a few other Muslims to talk about it with. Also, this is not a very scholarly article to help with the beliefs, but maybe it will help just to see that you're not alone, here is a link talking about Islamic history/law and homosexuality: Queering the Qur

5. GuidingLight

That's awesome! Then he doesn't think its a big deal :slight_smile: I'm sorry you have to go through discrimination even in the academic world or work place :frowning2:
    I guess the best thing is to believe there are other people like your friend that don't think being gay is a big deal. You just have to find them :slight_smile: I hope you find as many as possible so you have the best support system available.But, So far you have your friend and that's a start. But, I agree with RainbowBright, you do have to be careful.

Good luck on your journey! and try and keep believing there are good people out in the world.

#5 GuidingLight, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  6. aUniqueUserName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    First of all thank you very much for your reply. it is really helpful. and yea the things here are bad but there are no homophobic killings or whatsoever. people dont like us, but they are very peaceful in nature. and there is large section of population who is highly educated, so its good thing for me. and No that friend is definitely not gonna tell anyone. dont worry.

and the second thing is, that i have considered the option of moving before, but even if i move without telling my parents the original intentions behind that, there will still be a big question from them about getting married. i remember this one time telling my mother that i might opt Australia for higher studies and she told me "do you want to get married before or after you move?" so the thing is any how i have to tell them one day.

but yea i am not planning on coming out to soon. i am 20. first i want to build a decent career for myself. once i start earning on my own, it would be much easier to come out.

:icon_bigg

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

Thank you. and just for an update before few minutes i talked to that friend of mine again. and apparently he thinks i can stop feeling for guys buy doing what he says.. i know its funny. may be he is not really taking it well.. but i am happy since he still doesn't hate me and he still is talking to me... that's a big relief. he will eventually come around.