1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Betrayed by my own mother, father and family.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gravity Defyer, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Since I came out (A year and a half now), my parents were never supportive an never talked to me about being gay.

I thought "I'll give 'em some time, they'll come around"

But what a surprise to find my mom has a pdf version of Richard Cohen's book about "Understanding and healing homosexuality"

I feel sick...

How can my own parents deny who I am? Why do they want to "cure" me?

I mean, since I've been working with a therapist since I came out (Fully supportive of LGBT issues) I undertsand it's not within myself to change their minds. But this is just too much of a shock...

I thought they only needed time to talk about it but I realize they have it clear... I'm suffering "same-sex attachment disorder" and I need the love of Jesus (I don't even believe or attend church :tantrum: ) to cure myself.

It's gonna be difficult to make it trough holidays faking a smile... I really feel betrayed, bad and hopeless...

2. Gen

Gen

Personally, I dont know why you are going to try to put on a fake smile to try to appease and be tolerant of them when they dont have the decency to do the same.

This is something that needs to be covered before any festivities or celebrations. In my opinion, you have to take a stand and show them that this is who you are and nothing is changing. This shouldnt be a matter of, We'll accept the parts of you I like and work on changing the parts we dont.

If they believe that they deserve to see you and be in your life, you need to remind them that you deserve their undivided compasion and understanding. Dont allow yourself to fall into one-sided relationships, even with your parents.

3. SomeNights

you know I find the Jesus statement funny. Tell you what if you can find in the bible somewhere where Jesus himself explicitly says homosexuality is wrong, I will never check out another guy again.

Anyway as far as your parents go I'd just try and let it fly. You told them what they do with that information is outside of your scope of control. Worry about what you can control in your life. Find someone that makes you happy!!!

4. PeteNJ

A bummer, really.

Sounds like your family is conservative, so this is a big leap for them.

Part of their journey is figuring this out. I'm guessing they don't know much about homosexuality, so the book she's reading is a step in that direction. By accepting you as gay, she not only has to come to terms with her fears for you (unhappy, in danger, what will people say, he'll be alone, no family or children), and by accepting, you, all her expectations for herself are changed (no grand children, no wedding, etc etc). Of course that's not true -- but in her world and based on what she knows -- that is true.

Since she's a reader, my suggestion is you get her a book or two that will give her information. (sorry, I don't know specifics, but I'm sure people on this forum will). Maybe get a list of books/material from PFLAG or the Gay Pride Center, look on Amazon. (but I'm going to suggest, don't get anything that's screaming GAY on the cover! LOL).

Tell her you've had a lot to learn in this process and you're thinking she will too. I wouldn't confront her about the book you found. Give her some options. She may not be thrilled about it, but I suspect she will at least look. And tell her you love her

Gravity Defyer, if she didn't love and care about you she wouldn't have that book. Hang onto that thought.

Peace,

Pete