1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me, I don't know what to do. :(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by therunawaybff, Feb 15, 2013.

1. therunawaybff

Warning - long backstory alert:

I was closer to him than anyone in the world, we were practically telepathic when we were together, like twins separated at birth. We could sit for hours in a comfortable silence with no reason to speak. He could be in pain hundreds of miles away and I would know about it. We also lived together almost three years. We were inseparable in college (met our freshman year) but we spent the next five years dating separate people and making each other batshit jealous - on purpose, really, I guess each of us trying to force the other one into taking a stand on our relationship.

We also drove across the country together, just the two of us. Throughout our friendship (starting maybe a year and a half into it) we made out every once in awhile and fooled around. Several times a year it would just sort of happen without any rhyme or reason, but it never went much further than that because I wouldn't let it - I didn't know what we thought we were doing to begin with, I was raised in the rural South and didn't have any kind of experience with that kind of thing. The first time he made a pass at me, I thought he was gonna fight me. It was definitely the hottest sex I've ever had though, completely different than girls obviously but also different because it was him. It was passionate but it was tender too, it wasn't like anything I'd experienced before. We never really talked about it, it was just an accepted part of our relationship, and it did get more and more intense the longer it went on. We never "dated" or anything, we didn't consider ourselves queer, we were just always together and it worked. And we both slept off and on with women during college at this point but it was just Saturday night sport. We used women for casual drunken sex and then withheld intimacy from them because we were only willing to give it to each other.

Our relationship was complicated by the fact that we slept with other people a lot of that time too. I mean, we honestly didn't sleep with a lot of people (and we slept with each other too) but it's like in college every once in awhile he would date a girl for a week or two, almost teasing me with it, daring me to do something about it. Because we were straight in front of our friends of course, so I had to pretend it didn't bother me. Why would it? But what it felt like was like watching your lover cheat right in front of you and having to pretend nothing was wrong.

That was the start of our worst fights, the two I actually count - not him sleeping with a girl in a one night stand, but the few times he decided to date one around me for awhile (or vice versa; I did it three times just to show him what it felt like). I'd be so cold to him he'd only do it for a few weeks before he broke it off. And him, he would be fuming the entire time I dated anyone else. But regardless, the breakup of these short-term relationships always ended up with us sleeping together. Make up sex, really.

The last time we were together he came up behind me while I was washing dishes at the sink and just put his arms around me and put his lips against the back of my neck. It was the first intimate contact we'd had in weeks. I hadn't been with anyone else almost two years at that point. It was after a dinner where two of our friends were engaged and getting ready to be married, so of course that's all they could talk about. He waited until everyone left to be able to touch me, and that made me feel angry and sad like it never had before, even though we were so used to it by then.

And that was the last night that I saw him. He wanted me to stay the night and I did - a day or so later I turned my phone off and left town.

The last words on the last phone message I ever got from him, before I changed my number:

"Please call me, I love you." It was so plaintive, the sound of his voice like that almost made me call him back right then, but I didn't.

I cut off my other mutual friends for the simple reason that they would want to know why I did it and I didn't want my friend to feel like I was abandoning just him...so I abandoned all of them. I figured at least they would be there to catch him that way and they could commiserate together on what a coldhearted bastard I was for running out on everyone.

But it really wasn't like that though. I just couldn't explain to them why the feelings between us scared me so bad. They didn't know anything about the real way me and my friend felt about each other. It was a secret and only one of our roommates suspected because he caught us kissing once in college. (And that did not go well. I found out later that he left a piece of notebook paper on my best friend's bedroom door with SLUT scrawled across it. My best friend didn't tell me because he knew how I'd react.)

I couldn't deal with the situation. So I left instead. That was a little less than two years ago. We're both 26 now. I'm a massive chickenshit and a selfish bastard.

I'm planning on going back to my hometown this weekend for the first time in two years, but I'm not sure how to approach my best friend. I wanted to make a romantic gesture to go with my apology, but I don't even know if he is still single or not. (If I had to put down money, I'd say yes.)

Should I try to convince him to leave with me? Or should I just suck it up and deal with my parents ultimately disowning me and my whole tiny hometown finding out about us? I know he doesn't want to leave and I never wanted to leave either, but one of the reasons we love our hometown is that everyone there loves us, and if we come out that will inevitably change.

Am I a bad person if he is seeing someone casually and I swoop in to try and take him back? Because I'm pretty sure I'm going to try that regardless of whether he's scheduled to get married the next day or not.

How do I tell our friends that me and my best friend have been sleeping together behind their backs for over five years while we pretended to be straight in front of them?

I don't even know where to begin to start. I'm not sure how to come out to my parents, because they consider me and my lover to be like brothers. How do I deal with them finding out that we've been sleeping together behind their backs for over five years?

They are also very religious and I am almost a hundred percent sure that if I come out when I go back, not only am I going to get disowned (and maybe violently) but so will my lover. He doesn't care about his parents that much because they have a strained relationship anyway, but he will be hurt by getting disowned by mine.

How do we explain it to my real brother? Or our friends?

I'm tired of lying but goddamn is that a lot of lies to undo. And the idea of my parents disowning me is terrible.

TL;DR - I divorced my life to avoid a secret reciprocated romantic relationship with my best friend because we're both guys. I ran over nine hundred miles away because I'm afraid to let him love me the way I love him. I did the most cruel thing I could think of to drive him away. I don't deserve forgiveness but I wish I had the courage to ask for it. I'm 26 and I ran away from home.

:help:

2. theMaverick

Maybe talk to him in private first. Apologize. Tell him you were a sorry scared selfish chickenshit or what ever feels right. Tell him how you feel. Tell him you're sorry. Tell him what you've told us. I wish you the sincerest best of luck because you have experienced something I never have. Much love, prayer, and good thoughts I send to you.

3. SAAB900TURBO

First of all DON'T BLAME YOURSELF! Consider your "running away" as a breather for you because the situation got really intense right? Any sane person would do the same thing considering that the person he is really into is getting married and at the very last minute sent a message "I love you". What was THAT about? What does he consider "love" with you as?

Let's face it, some guys have sex with other guys that they trust (No T No Shade) for the sake of releasing hormones. When the intercourse happened, you guys were much younger right? So...

The issue now is on how you can overcome this longing confusion with that touch of guilt.

You have to meet him ASAP and trash things out and I really mean trash things out in a gentleman's way that is.

Yes, the initial tinkling feeling when meeting him, looking into his eyes, hearing his voice will deviate from the issues that you need to settle on but remind yourself that it is an URGENT MATTER, i.e. LIFE AND MENTAL/EMOTIONAL DEATH

You need to ask him:

1) Why did you marry someone else when you loved me?

2) So is the love that we had basically bromance with benefits?

3) How about religion? Is religion the main reason why you did not persue OUR relationship?

I want to digress abit and just say on the religious aspect. If he touches on that part and he is pious enough to forgo the relationship with you earlier which is why he got married then just MOVE ON. Even if he confess that he wants to be with you forever and will love you unconditionally, the back of his brain will still flash the big word "SIN" and that will EAT HIS MIND over time. You don't need this kind of drama so MOVE ON. Rather sticky but don't risk it.

In the meantime, go find that special someone ELSE. Stop expecting for this guy + you = happily ever after because Someone Else IS out there just waiting to be discovered by you. Don't get tied with the old physical emotions becuase it is very tiring.

Bottomline, tell yourself that you are a COMPLETE PACKAGE and NOT JUST BENEFIT.

Hope my input helps! :wink:

4. therunawaybff

I'm planning on it, but I have no idea how you even begin to apologize for something like that. For just picking up and leaving without telling anyone anything. I try to imagine what that feels like to have someone you love just disappear for two years, so I can try to imagine how I would begin to forgive something like that, I and I can't even fathom it. And just leaving Nick feeling like someone stomped his puppy to death for months, with no way to explain to anyone why he was upset without outting himself and me.

The only reason anyone even knows I'm alive is because I'm from a really small town and people know I do talk to my folks from time to time. I told them I left for a job.

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2013 at 10:05 AM ----------

Oh no, I guess I haven't explained well enough. He's the only person I've ever said "I love you" to outside of my folks. We've been saying it to each other for years (in private, of course). When he sent that last message, what he was basically doing was apologizng for something he didn't even know he was fucking sorry for. He had no idea why I took off without telling anyone, so he could only assume I was upset with him. So in that case, his "I love you" could translate as: "I'm sorry, please come home, we can talk about it, whatever's wrong."

No, it was from when were 19 to 24. I mean, I guess that's pretty young, but we were both college-aged, and we were sleeping with women too. So if it was just about getting off, we didn't have any shortage of girls to choose from and we were comfortable sleeping with them.

He ever didn't marry someone else. As far as I know, he's single now.

I think this is probably more a legitimate question from him for me, since I basically took off like he was nothing to me, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm the one with the religious hang-ups, not him. He never turned me aside in our relationship, he's the one who initiated it. I'm the one who pushed him away.

Thanks for the advice.

5. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

My congratulations for your force and I really wish all the best to you including good luck :grin:
    I've never lived nothing like that... It seems to me you don't want to stay in the closet although you're frightened about how to deal with your past experiences with your friends, family and specially with your love... I think you don't have to blame yourself! And your decision about talk or not with your family about your homossexuality now depends on how confortable you feel yourself about being gay...
    I came out of the closet last year and the books have helped me a lot during that process...A phrase from Oscar Wilde was decisive in my decision. He wrote in "De Profundis": "To regret one’s own experiences is to arrest one’s own development. To deny one’s own experiences is to put a lie into the lips of one’s own life. It is no less than a denial of the soul."
    It was just when I read it that I realised how I was denying my own feelings and experiences and because of that I was not living!
    I think you don't have to say your whole story with your friend just in one time (or just in one trying) for your family and friends... I had prepared my family one year earlier, having ocasional conversations about gay people and I studied how they reacted with that, what were their fears about it, etc...
    but I know that things are never as predictable in life, in practice, everything will depend on your own analysis of the situation ... Perhaps the first thing to do is to go to your hometown and look around, analyze the situation, talk to your friend and apologize to him without necessarily requiring an immediate decision from him....
    My best wishes!!!! :grin:

6. AKTodd

Hooo-boy. I'll be honest with you, I'm not really sure how anyone would deal with the situation you're faced with here. But here's my best guess/gut reaction based on reading your initial post and replies several times and pondering until my ponderer is sore.

a) You owe Nick an apology, that's for sure. Regardless of anything else, you owe him that.

b) Realize that he is under no obligation to accept your apology. I know that's hard, and I really really hope he does, because reading about your situation is already incredibly sad and depressing the hell out of me and I don't even want to think about this possible outcome. But there it is. Not a pleasant thought, but something you need to be prepared for. As well that even if he is prepared to forgive you to some degree now, that doesn't mean that things just instantly go back to being fine and dandy. He may need time (and more conversation and visits with you) before he is prepared to let you back into his life or trust you again.

c) I totally agree with what others have already said about telling him what you've told us here. Groveling would probably also be good. Lots of groveling. Although I suspect you already know that.

d) If it were possible to reach out to him in writing before you ever got there, I would say that would almost be better. Give him time to prepare to see you again. Because I suspect it will be a bit of a shock. But that doesn't appear to be in the cards given the travel plans you indicated.

e) You also (probably) hurt your mutual friends when you took off. Presumably they liked you too (although obviously in a different way) and you simply cutting off all contact (especially in this day and age of pervasive communications) likely left a lot of them feeling hurt and betrayed and confused. I know your main focus at this point is probably Nick, but while you're there you'll likely run into some other people who will want to have a word with you. Or several. Be prepared to take some (metaphorical I hope) lumps and do a lot of apologizing.

f) If you and Nick are able to get back together (and I really hope you are), he is likely to have some trust issues where you are concerned for quite some time afterward. Be prepared to put in a lot of work to heal those issues moving forward.

g) I believe you indicated that you had at least some small amount of contact with your parents over the last two years. Have they ever given any indication of what Nick has been up to in this time? Anything about his behavior or the like? This might help you at least avoid meeting him while totally 'flying blind'. Just wondering.

That's it I guess. I really don't have a good sense about how this might work out (not that I realistically should since I don't know you beyond what I've learned in just one post), but I hope the above helps in some small way. I know you're probably nervous and scared and excited and who knows what else. And know that the folks here are a great bunch and are always around to talk if and when you need to.

Ok, not quite it. Two final thoughts that just occurred. Hopefully both will be...hopeful:

First, while it's not the exact same as your situation, I was once in a sorta relationship a long time ago that had similar elements to what you describe. We met in college, became really really good friends and then started to become more than that. And then he told me that we couldn't be more than that (even though he really wanted us to) because his faith said that being gay was a sin and he couldn't do that. By the time the dust settled, he had moved out, first across town, then we fell out of touch, then I found out he moved out of the state. A lot of years (way more than two) later, I ended up in VA and with my partner. And one day I got an email from him asking if I was the Todd he had known from back in the day, etc. Eventually we talked on the phone (I had already told my partner about all this years before and told him all about this when it happened as well, in case you're wondering). While we had both moved on with our lives, we had an amicable conversation and I was able to honestly say I wished him well. We exchanged Xmas cards for a few years and have since fallen out of touch but I still think about him sometimes (he's come to accept himself now and is dating guys last I heard) and I always wish him well.

I hope that you and Nick are able to reconnect and do far more than just wish each other well.

Second, there's an old saying: Home is where, when you have nowhere else to go, they have to take you in.

Here's hoping that turns out to be a truism.

Take care,

Todd

7. therunawaybff

Believe me man, I would skywrite NICK I AM SO SORRY over the state of Tennessee if I thought it would make a lick of difference. I've never been sorrier in my life.

I know he's not. I know my post makes it sound like I'm just gonna sweep him off his feet with an apology and a confession of love and ride into the sunset, and I'm going to do my damnedest to do that. Because I feel like I'm just going to have to be completely honest with him about how much I love him in order to make him accept my apology. I mean, I know what I did was really screwed up, but part of me really did think that he would be safer and (eventually) happier without me around. I didn't want to be the cause of him getting hurt when people saw us together.

If he's prepared to forgive me at all, I'm prepared to move back in order to grovel at a more frequent and loving basis until he forgives me entirely.

I may push it back a day or two so I can get some more advice and figure things out before I go back to town, maybe write him a letter and send it before I come. I work from home for the most part, so I don't have to worry about asking off.

Well, I know he's been going hunting with my brother same as usual (if I was there, I'd go too). I did talk to my brother the night before last and asked him casually what Nick had been up to, and he said he's been riding a lot and working at the stables and volunteering at the animal shelter. He hasn't dated and my brother said he won't go out drinking. Too busy "playing Dr. Dolittle" he says. I asked if he was upset when I left and my brother laughed and said, "What do you think?"

So yeah. That's what I've got to work with. Upon my disappearance, my best friend/boyfriend has apparently taken up the hobby of bottlefeeding kittens when he's not mucking stables, sitting in a tree stand, or out riding by himself.

I don't even know what to do with that information. He sounds completely withdrawn. I mean, he was always an introverted guy - we're actually both pretty quiet in person, but he's shy wherea I guess I'm just more stoic. So most people probably wouldn't even notice much of a difference, but that's some hardcore solitude even for him.

Yeah, it's going to be hard. But I do owe everyone an apology. Unless I was entering witness protection, that's a pretty shitty thing to do to your friends.

Thanks Todd and Daniel, I really appreciate your advice. It's helped me just to hear some outside perspectives.

8. AKTodd

Various thoughts here...

a) If you do end up sending him a letter, your earlier statements re skywriting and being prepared to move back to grovel more fully certainly pulled at *my* heartstrings, and I don't even know you.

b) Working at an animal shelter, cleaning barns, etc. is actually a lot better than some of the possibilities I can imagine. Drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and a general lack of interest in things like food or personal hygiene all come to mind. Maybe some cause for a bit of hope there.

c) Thinking on it, it might be better to try and resolve (or at least start to resolve) your issue with him before going and coming out to your family/community in a way that pulls him into it as well. At least until/unless he's prepared for that. You've already made one major life decision that impacted him without talking to him about it. I'd advise avoiding another. If you feel you *must* come out to people now and he's not on board with it, then aim to do it in such a way that doesn't bring his involvement into it. You don't have the right to out him if he's not ready for that.

d) Finally, it occurs to me that something that's been lacking in the discussion so far is an acknowledgement that the last two years probably haven't been a picnic for you either. You hurt a lot of people but in the process I'm sure you also hurt yourself. Lots of heartache and sleepless nights you haven't talked about, I suspect.

So...BIG imaginary hug and wishing you the best of luck in this. I *really* hope it all works out for the best.

Keep us posted, and if you need to talk, there's lots of folks here willing to listen.

Todd

9. therunawaybff

a) Okay, I called ahead and told my folks I had some work to finish up this weekend, so I was going to try and make it over next weekend instead. That'll give me time to write him a letter and send it. I thought about doing an email, but I personally think a really good love letter should be written on quality paper and sealed with red wax. Plus I have good handwriting. I'm hoping it'll make an impression since I've written him a love letter before, back before we really started getting serious. I was too afraid to tell him about how I felt to his face, so I left it under his pillow.

b) Yeah, me too. For the first few months after I left I was so paranoid that I was going to get a phone call from my parents or my brother telling me that Nick killed himself. I don't know what I would have done. I feel kind of guilty, but I am sort of glad he's not dating anyone else though (or married, God forbid). Because I really don't need the title of homewrecker on top of everything else.

c) I was thinking this over, and I agree. Nick is really my top priority. My parents have gone twenty-six years without hearing about us, they can go another few weeks or months, however long it takes for both of us to be ready to come out. It might very well mean getting disowned for both of us, so we have to be sure we're ready for that consequence before we broach the subject with my folks. After talking to my brother, I sort of feel like he's not going to be as big of a deal as I thought. I think after talking with him that he knows a little more about me and Nick than I give him credit for. He might have been able to read it in Nick's reaction to me leaving, I don't know.

d) I felt like I was cutting off a part of myself to give him a chance to be happy. A self sacrifice. And you're right, it was the most horrible two years of my life. Like being in prison. I know it sounds messed up in retrospect, but I really did feel like if he'd get over me and just go marry one of those girls he was always dating in college to piss me off that he wouldn't have to worry about anything. He could just do the small town thing, have a couple of kids, and not have to worry about all that extra bullshit that goes with being with me.

I just feel like I need to talk things through a little more before I approach him. I'm scared but I think this could be redemption for me too.

10. AKTodd

Hmm. You've indicated/implied/flat out stated several times now that you left to protect Nick from being associated with you.

What is this 'extra bullshit' that you feel (or felt at the time) goes with being with you?

Just trying to get some clarification here.

Todd

11. therunawaybff

What is this 'extra bullshit' that you feel (or felt at the time) goes with being with you?[/QUOTE]

The queer thing. Being with me versus being with all of the other girls he's been with is just not as easy for him - he can't show me physical affection in public without endangering our lives at the worst, and being the constant butt of jokes at best. I figured it was better to have to deal with one hurt of me making tracks than little hurts like that SLUT note over and over again for the rest of our lives. He's been with women the whole time I've met him, so...I just thought that would be easier for him. He never was with any other guy either, so I figured he would just fall back on dating women.

I know that sounds homophobic as hell, and I don't really feel that way now, but I thought if I wasn't around he'd just go back to being straight. And straight is just safer. If he marries a girl, my folks will buy him a lavish wedding gift, probably be godparents to his kids. If he marries me, our family is going to be broken up. My parents (and his parents) will be on one side of the divide, me and Nick will be on the other, and my brother will be teetering somewhere in the middle.

It just took me two years to figure out that I just want to be with him and I really don't care. Everybody can get over it.

12. therunawaybff

Okay, here's the letter I am planning to send by overnight mail Monday. (I'm putting it in a separate envelope so the letter envelope doesn't have an address on it or anything, just his name). How does this sound?

Nick,

I am the sorriest son of a bitch alive. I left because I was afraid, but there's no excuse for what I did. I have no right to ask your forgiveness, but at this point I have no choice either. I was lost without you.

I'm planning on a visit next weekend. I want to see you when I do, so we can talk and you can look into my eyes and know what I'm telling you is true. I'm done running. There's no home for me outside of your arms, and I don't care who knows about it. I'd give anything to hear you say my name.

I don't expect you to accept my apology based on one visit, but I'd have you know if you'll even consider forgiving me a little, I am prepared to move back home in order to grovel my way back into your good graces on a more daily basis.

I'm putting my heart in your hands. You did the same for me once and I fucked it up big time. Here's your chance to get me back, one way or the other. I want to be with you, and I'll send two years for every week I was gone making it up to you.

I still want us to honeymoon in Amsterdam and grow old with too many dogs and argue about what kind of movies to watch at night. Tell me you'll at least still consider it.

I love you, I love you, I love you. Feel free to xerox this letter and staple it to every telephone pole in ten miles, I don't give a damn who knows.

I'll come by and find you. Please don't turn me away when I do.

- Tobias

13. AKTodd

Putting on my editor's hat. Don't try this at home kids, I am a professional. No really, I actually proofread and edit documents as part of my job.

Suggest changing the last sentence to "I am lost without you." It fits better with the previous sentence IMHO.

Suggest changing this to:

"I don't expect you to accept my apology based on one visit, but I want you to know that if you'll even consider forgiving me a little, I am prepared to move back home in order to grovel my way back into your good graces on a daily basis."

"I'd have you know..." is very charming and traditional and Southern gentleman-like but also a little bit hard to understand (at least to me). The exception to this is if you normally talk this way (I'm up here in Va. so barely on the edge of the South) and he is used to you using that turn of phrase and it's natural for you. In that case keep it.

Should be "...I'll spend two years for every week..."

Wow. Very nicely done, sir. A very powerful and heartfelt letter. I really really hope you guys are able to get back together.

Sincerely,

Todd

14. therunawaybff

Thanks for the protips and the edit Todd, I will adjust accordingly - that's exactly why I wanted to post this letter up before I sent it, so if anybody has any last-minute ideas before first contact, now's the time. (gulp)

I actually think sending him a letter first is a great idea, because it'll give him a few days to get the worst of his mad out before I get there, and even while he's getting mad he'll have a physical representation of my love for him that he can look at the whole time he's trying to stay mad. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'll still be pissed off, but I think he won't be so angry that he'll just immediately answer the door with his rifle and order me off his porch or anything.

Thank you. I hope so too. In any case, at least I can say I gave it my best shot.

#14 therunawaybff, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  15. RebelD

Touched by your story. I truly hope things go well :slight_smile:

16. AKTodd

Wanted to reply to this earlier, but didn't have time and then wanted to provide feedback to your letter since that's probably the higher priority at this point. That now being done...

Hmm. I went back and reread your original post. You said that the first time he made a pass at you, you thought he was going to hit you. It gave the impression that he was the one who took your relationship beyond the level of 'just friends' and/or escalated things beyond 'just making out'. Also based on what you wrote, he chose to put his arms around you as you washed dishes, and he chose to say 'I love you' in his last message (did you both say that to each other on a regular basis or was that the first time that was said?). I also got the impression that somewhere along the line he had chosen to be monogamous with you. Meaning he didn't want those girls.

Assuming I'm understanding correctly, that sounds to me like he was choosing to have a relationship with you despite any potential negatives that could come with it and even though it might have seemed 'easier' to just sleep with women.

Ok, that probably doesn't make you feel great, and I'm certainly not attacking you or taking you to task on this issue or anything like that. And it sounds like you've done a lot of growing since this all happened, or we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. But just sayin.

On a rather happier note, and considering the issue of being able to show affection for each other in public....

That rather depends on where and when you are. It's true that the day where two guys can just walk down the street holding hands or hug in public, or kiss each other at the entrance to the mall and say 'Ok, see you back here in two hours' or do all the other stuff straight couples do without a second thought is not here yet. But there are actually quite a few places where you can show physical affection and at worst no one will care and at best they will applaud, make comments on what a cute couple you are, and perhaps feel insanely jealous because you two found each other and when will they find their special someone. These include, but are not limited to:

Gay bars - bars seem to have a bit of a bad rep sometimes, but they can be great fun to go to, whether to hang out with friends, dance, drink, play pool, or whatever. The main trick is to find a bar that has a good vibe and fits what you like to do. Bigger cities are going to have more options in that regard, from dance clubs, to pool bars or sports bars, to places to just quietly socialize. There's always places that are pretty much blatant meat markets (although really, a lot of straight bars fit that mold too) but nothing says you have to hang out at those places.

Pride Events - A lot of big cities (including Nashville, and I'm sure several places in Texas since you mentioned those states specifically) have Pride events (parades are the most well-known examples, but in the SW and maybe parts of the S, rodeos are also popular). Wall-to-wall LGBT folks at the larger ones and no one is going to care if you want to hold his hand or wrap your arms around him (or vice-versa). Ok, maybe some bottom-feeders from Westboro Fascist Church or something, but really they're sort of like the ants at a picnic. Ignore em (or, if you've a mind to, get someone to take a picture of you kissing in front of em) and enjoy yourself.

Cruises - Gay cruises are run by the same lines that do straight cruises and probably use the same ships. Never actually done one (although my partner and I have done two straight cruises with his family), but if they're like the straight versions you can pretty much depend on a week to 10 days of being on a floating hotel whose entire staff is dedicated to you having a good time. Sun, fun, great food, dancing, pools, hot tubs, various shore excursions, rock climbing, snorkling and scuba, waverider surfing, etc. etc. I wouldn't recommend Carnival (not just for the reasons making the news recently) but Royal Caribbean is very nice. Hint: If doing a tropical cruise, splurge for the room with the little balcony. It's so worth it.

Resorts, B&Bs, etc - These are all over the country and range from 'gay friendly' (meaning they are fine with you sharing a room/bed with someone of the same sex, although straight people will probably be around as well) to explicitly for LGBT people only. My partner and I stayed as a gay friendly B&B some years ago (and came back the next year with some straight friends who had heard us rave about it).

(and perhaps most importantly): In your own home (or someone else's home) surrounded by friends who know and accept you the way you are. They may be LGBT friends or cool straight friends. But they won't care if you want to do PDA and they'll fight like demons if anybody gives you crap.

For that matter, in this day and age there's no objective reason why you couldn't ultimately show your affection in the ultimate way our society expresses such things: With a ceremony (with rings and cake and all the other stuff that people spend six months to a year going insane putting together all so they can spend an afternoon having an party) . Depending on how wedded you are (Ha! A pun:grin:) to the idea of governmental recognition of such things, this could involve a bit of travel but even in the South, with the right friends and a friendly official from the right church, there's no reason that the whole traditional ceremony thing couldn't happen for you (even if it's not officially recognized by the powers that be).

Ok, so I'm afraid I might have brought you down with the earlier stuff about your friend, and I'm trying to cheer you up and probably telling you more about penguins than you wanna know (as my dad used to say). Sorry:wink:

Little hurts (and not so little hurts) are part of being alive no matter what your orientation is. The best way to deal with them is to have someone there to share the pain, hold you close, and then pick you up so you can go on with life. IMHO.

More often than not, doing the right thing isn't the safer course of action. Doesn't make it any less right, though. I know that's not really helpful when considering the situation with your family and I sympathize. But do you think its a good thing for him (and you for that matter, you said you dated women at one point too) to just live a lie and in pain for the rest of your lives for the sake of the emotional complacency of some of the other people around you? Even if it's 'safer'?

On a more general note, based on much of what I've read on EC and elsewhere, even really hardcore parents/family can sometimes surprise you. It may take them a little while, but sometimes they come around. Or even make much less of a big deal about it than one might have thought they would when its their flesh-and-blood/someone they know and love instead of just some abstract concept of 'those people'.

Amen to that. Most definitely, amen to that.

Todd

17. RainbowMan

This part got to me - I was prepared for my parents to disown me when I came out as well, for the exact same reasons.

However, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. What happened instead was unconditional love and support, despite what their religious beliefs inform them. Really, all a good parent wants is what makes their child happy. And if being with your best friend makes you happy, which it seems that it does in a very big way, then that's what they should want for you. Not saying that it will be all roses like it was for me, but while preparing for the worst, you should also hope for the best .I wasn't, and when the best came it was entirely unexpected.

18. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dude I really really hope everything works out for you. I'm really captivated by your story. I hope it works out, both of you sound like you deserve to be happy.

19. therunawaybff

Yeah, he'd been broody for a couple of days and I was getting tired of it. I thought he was upset with me and he wouldn't tell me why, so I told him if he wasn't going to tell me what was wrong with him like a normal person I wasn't going to go walking on eggshells around him. He threw me up against the wall and I thought he was going to hit me but he kissed me instead.

As for progressing things past making out, that was me.

We didn't say it on a regular basis or anything, but it wasn't the first time we'd said that either. Maybe once or twice a year.

Yeah, neither of us was really dated anyone else once we graduated from college. And I see your point. Lots of people might've seen the two of us having sex in college to be a phase, and that we'd grow out of it, when I guess we really just grew out of dating women just to keep up a straight front and make each other jealous.

Yeah, but I didn't want those negatives for him. Of course he'd want to be with me regardless of whether he'd have to spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder a gang of rednecks with a tire iron. But I'd never be able to forgive myself if something happened to him just for the reason that he happened to be with me and the wrong person saw me give him the wrong look.

I gave him two years though, and he hasn't moved on that I can tell. He's just waiting, same as I was.

This all made me much more cheerful about the situation, so thank you for that. Especially the wedding part. We're both pretty traditional guys so the idea of that is pretty appealing to me.

Well one thing I have learned is that it's a lot harder to handle the pain by yourself.

Well when you put it that way...

Hopefully my parents won't react as badly as I think they will. But I do worry about it..

20. June Cleaver

I really hope you can pull it off! I am praying for your good fortune with Nick. My Nick was named James. We never had the sex part, but he was my best friend during my late teens till mid twentys. When my partner died when I was 24 he corted me and I pushed him off on my sister's friend Angie to "save him". Worst mistake of my life so far. Angie ended our friendship and moved him out of town once she found out we were still seeing eachother durring lunch hours. My hart still aches for him 16 years later. Last Christmas I found his cousin Mable on Facebook and Mable thought I was dead. He had been told that by Angie. Mable told me he loved me and never got over me. I hear he ended up in a gay relationship anyway and is disowned by his family. So I saved him from nothing and worse I hear Angie ruined his life for years through their child. I know we would have lived happily ever after. It took me 16 years to fineally get a good man and find happiness. If it does not work with Nick you can still get a good man. I did, but you will never forget him. So go get him if you can! June