1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kunglaomksm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. kunglaomksm

So I've met this guy online(well technically he found me) and he initially planned on just visiting his friends here in the Philippines on April(he's from England) and he asked me if I could be his friend since he wants to have a vacation here in the city I currently live in.

I don't remember his first message but he implied to me that he wants me to be as his boyfriend(not the exact words but it's kinda like that). Then I looked at his age and he's 16 years older than me. So I kinda ignored him at first then I thought "Why not?" and I replied to his message. After a few weeks(I think it's been a month now) of chatting it turns he's really cool guy.

Okay, I always want my boyfriend to be older than me but not that old. I could be comfortable with a guy 3-5 years older than me but this guy is more than that. The problem is I AM attracted to him. At first, the age gap was really bothering me but in time I totally forgot about it and just enjoy each others company(online of course).

But then he said today that he loves me. I'm surprised cause I don't know how to respond to that. So I just told him I can't say that to him at the moment cause I can't say that without us meeting first(I mean I like him but do I love him?).

So yeah. That's about it. Any thoughts guys? I mean should I go on with this relationship?

2. DeanIsHome

I mean, If you're both consenting adults I personally see no reason to end the relationship based solely on age, If i were you I'd date him since he's only 36 that's not bad IMO.

On another note where are you from in the Philippines? My mom is from Bagiuo but were not Ilocano.

3. UndercoverGypsy

Too old is however old you find unattractive. Or if he has dentures.

4. kunglaomksm

Yeah, you're right. I guess it's just me being unreasonable about the age thing.

I'm currently living in Baguio right now for College but I come from the Ilocos Region

Hahaha, that IS too old... :icon_bigg

5. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've met a woman online who's 15 years older than me. It bothered us both for a while (especially her) but in the end we thought f*** it lol. I wouldn't say we're 'together' right now as such, but I think it'd be different if we lived in the same country. We are planning to visit each other at some point.

So I think it's ok if you're both happy with it but you should probably make sure you both know where you stand before he visits, and make sure you skype with him before agreeing to meet up and before ypu give out any personal information (if you have to do this), to make sure he is who he says he is!

6. As long as you like each other, what the hell, you're only young once (or in his case you're only approaching middle age once).

7. Lewnatic

As long as you like each other, and as long as you're both consenting adults. However, such a large age difference will often develop problems down the line. You may find you want different things in life. I dated a 26 year old when I was 18, and although I thought he was lovely, it was clear we were at different places in life. He wanted to find someone and settle down, I wanted to date and discover more about my sexuality.

8. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

I don't really agree with most people's responses here. I'm 32 and I would never consider dating a 20 yr old. They are just in a different place in life than I am. 20 yr olds need to be free and wild, and I just want somebody reliable. I know this isn't always true, but u can already see this happening when he says "I love you" and you don't know how to respond. He is going to want a mature committed relationship - think about if you can handle that right now. you wanna get married at 20? I don't think so.

I would date someone who is 40, but not someone who is 20. Sorry.

9. Zaio

Zaio Guest

If you like him then why not? Too old is a matter of personal opinion. If he is at the age where you don't find him physically or emotionally attractive, then that is too old. As long as you like him, then give him a chance :slight_smile:

I think his confusion is because he told him he loved him before they had even met. I wouldn't really know what to say if someone told me that before meeting too, because it's easy to get wrapped up in a fantasy of what could happen, but until you've met in person and know it's real, then it's a bit empty most of the time I think.

All the best.

10. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

No, I'm sorry but age is a real thing, people develop over time and our priorities change. I know there are some who make it work, but 9/10 will fail. You're only 16, You will see when you get older.

personally I would feel guilty if I seduced a 20 yr old. I mean its pretty easy to do being 10 years older and all

11. Clowstar

16 years older is quite an age gap but since you're a legal adult, i'd say it's up to you. and at 20, you're probably mature enough for that relationship.
    i'd say, take him out to your favorite restaurant or a place in your town that you love. that way, he gets to do something fun on his vacation, experience the area, and you can see if you would be compatible/want to start a relationship with him.

12. Akatosh

Maybe I'm not as trusting as most, but I don't understand how he falls in love over the Internet so fast. I don't want to make you paranoid, I just you to check in with your better judgement. For starters, he found you in advance of his trip, which means he had an expectancy of finding someone on his excursion. Secondly, make sure he's not feeding you lines to get in your pants. If that's alright with you, then sure, but just be safe, mmmk?

13. leer

age`s not an issue with me. I quite older guys know what there doing:thumbsup:

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This guy is a stranger, you have no clue to his motivations. He could be playing you big time.

For all you know he is a sadomasachist on on an Asian binge.

All the people giving you advice... If this guy is bad news who gets hurt you or them?

You are concerned because this is a bad idea and you know it

Listen to your gut. Your gut cares about you.

Stuck

15. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is a big generalisation. I know that in many cases you're completely right, but I'm nearly 25 and would definitely have been ready to settle down from my early twenties onwards with the right person.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 07:14 PM ----------

Don't let stuck scare you off... of course everything he says could be true, but there are ways to play it safe. Just don't give him any personal information prior to meeting up (meet in public place, obviously). Definitely Skype him before you meet, if you haven't already. If he makes excuses not to Skype, that's a big warning sign to keep clear of him.

16. photoguy93

Now wait a minute - who gives a flying f*ck about age here (well, until the next part.)

Shouldn't we be more concerned that they met ONLINE, and this guy LOVES him? I mean, he might be the nicest guy ever. But online, 16 years older, and from a completely different country?

In terms of age, 16 years isn't a huge deal. But it makes a difference on what ages you are and what you want. If you want a fun relationship, then ok - great. Who cares!

But what if you want a family? At 30, a 46 year old might not want that. At 20, a 36 year old might be wanting a family. That's a huge gap!

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My gut says "stalked by sex traveller". It says nothing about age.

He found you, he is from another country, he wants a bf for vacation, he is 16 years older, he loves you...

Listen to the warning bells in your gut. That is why they are going off. It is not age, it is circumstance.

Stuck

18. Akatosh

I know everyone is trying to be open to age differences here, but let's look at the facts. This guy didn't meet this 20 year old, and then develop feelings for him. This guy was SEARCHING, for a 20 year old and found one. Of course he's going to be pleasant to this 20 year old, he has planned this to happen. I'm with Stuck on this one, I think this is super sketch.

'Blah, blah, blah, loves knows no age'. I know this is true in many cases, but this dude has already demonstrated that he's specifically looking for young guys. There are many cases where this isn't true, but he's in a whole other chapter of life than a 20 year old. Sometimes, older men like the idea of being a caretaker, because frankly, it puts them in a position of power. Don't just accept this guy's 'I love you's' so easily. To me, his behavior seems predatory, but maybe I'm one of the few who sees this.

19. Last Gentleman

I would be walking on egg shells because of the circumstances.
    Meeting people online is risky at the best of times, but it does sound like he's got one thing on his mind and it ain't love.

If you really want to meet him, tell him you'll meet him at a restaurant, no going back to his hotel room or your house and strictly no sex on this trip. Then see what his reaction is. And no matter what happens, stand by what you say.

Age doesn't matter ASSUMING that you can relate to the person. Clearly if you want to party every week and he doesn't, you're not going to work out. But if you met him at a night club every week and fell in love with him, then go for it.

20. kunglaomksm

Thanks for all the reply guys.
    Okay to avoid confusion(or add some) here's what i know about him by chatting(we haven't skype yet since we both don't have time for that cause of the difference in time):
    1) The reason for him in visiting the Philippines is to visit his friends in Manila cause he's got some English friend who married a Filipina(A Filipino girl). He likes the Filipino personality so much(when he earlier visited our country) that he likes to have a Filipino boyfriend
    2) He knows that i never had a relationship before so he said completely understands and he's not trying to pressure into something I'm not ready yet
    3) I tested his sincerity once by telling him that I found some guy here in the city I am living(doesn't exist) that wants me to be his boyfriend. He told me he completely understood and he just wants me to be happy he just want to enjoy his vacation with someone even without me. But after some time I told him I do like him and after some more chatting the 'I Love You part' comes in
    I mean it doesn't bother me that much he could fall in love with me without meeting me yet but I specifically told him at the very beginning that this relationship may or may not work when April comes but right at the moment there IS attraction between us. I'm just worried that he's telling me he loves me already but I'm not there yet.
    But don't worry guys I'll still be careful I am not that naive that some guy I met online will use me like a piece of meat.