1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of my best friends and I are totally messed up right now, and it's my fault.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mgalindo1, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mgalindo1

mgalindo1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let me explain a bit first, and I'll try and keep it coherent and concise. I met this incredible guy in school at the beginning of the fall semester and we became fast friends. I mean, its fairly straightforward for me to meet new people and make friends and all that but there was a different dynamic with this dude, me and him just clicked and there was no pretense of anything, we just were and that was cool.
    Hes my utter opposite. He's a straight guy, i'm a gay guy, he likes football and parties and he gets along with everyone, i'm not into sports and I prefer smaller things with a closer set of friends. So I've often wondered exactly how we've stuck together.

Anyways I came out to him this past weekend. Its the middle of the semester and were all suffering under the schoolwork, but I needed to. There was a good two or three weeks beforehand when I felt I was descending into some really evil and horrible thoughts about myself, like wanting to hurt myself in some way, because you see at that point I'd only been out to a guy and girl friend at school, both straight, and I felt I had no one to be my actual self with. I came out to my family a couple of days before and they embraced it, except for my dad, whose in the military and whom I know is having a more difficult time understanding it. But he hasn't been rejecting or anything.
    I came out to this friend. I shook his hand beforehand because I did not know what would happen and I thought this might end our friendship. I looked him in the eye, and I had no self-pity and I didn't apologize for anything. I told him that we are what we choose to be, and even though I didn't choose to be gay, I am choosing to be open and honest about it and that I hoped he and I could continue with that knowledge. He was utterly accepting, and we talked for a while about some things.
    However, at the end of the conversation, I was filled with so much emotion (I REALLY thought that I might have lost him as a friend) that I said I loved him. Not sexually, but like a brother. I told him him he was my comrade and my brother and that i would take a bullet for him. He looked me in the eye the whole time and when we left I felt full of hope. However, I am wondering if I messed everything up. He did not say the same thing back. I have not seen him for the past week because I extricated myself from the situation, feeling as if I dumped a ton of stuff on him all at the worst time (remember the schoolwork and whatnot) that he was not ready for. When I came out to him, he told me he was quite surprised because he had no idea. I feel that by saying I loved him, I put something on him that he did not feel quite in return, and I'm wondering if I mistimed everything. We have known each other for two semesters, thats it, but in that time weve hung out, weve gotten to know each other to a certain extent, and I sincerely feel brotherhood to him.
    Should I have waited to come out? I was feeling desperation and felt I could not keep it in anymore. I am so confused, and so lost right now because I think all of these insecurities and doubts are really only in my head, and that it really is no big deal to him. But I'm also scared that that is a false hope I'm clinging to, and that everything is all wrong between us. Like I said, I had some horrible thoughts about what I wanted to do to myself, and my family and my friends have kept me tethered to life. Ive come out to many people in a very short amount of time and maybe I'm just tired, disoriented by the change.

2. therunawaybff

Can't you talk to him now?

Just send him a text.

"Hey, we cool?"

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would just give him time to process that. I agree that the timing was poor, because although you didn't mean romantically, some straight men feel extremely threatened by a coming out even if they don't let on.

So his mind might be racing some places you didn't intend. Please stay, dear brother. I am fairly confident it will work itself out over time. But you should probably give him some distance.

4. mgalindo1

mgalindo1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To therunawaybff, I could send him a text I guess but I've tried to remove myself from the situation. I am confused on whether I should give him space, like Pret Allez suggests (thank you for the advice btw) or try to talk to him about it. Everyone always says that a lack of communication is what leads to conflict, and yet in this situation it seems to me that space is needed.

5. Clowstar

i'd say just to talk to him/text him and say "you're my bro/best friend and i'm sorry if i said anything to make you feel uncomfortable. you know i'm going through some stuff right now and i just need some reassurance that you're cool with everything." something along those lines (i'm trying to dude-up for you here).

6. Urda1kilt

I am very untested in what happened. Update??? I am in the same boat. The thoughts and all. I could really use some of what u have learned