1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would you date someone who doesnt have perfect teeth?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gazza123, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So I dont have perfect teeth, they not really straight and they not bright sparkling white either. Itd when am talking to someone, anyone, i focus on they teeth and how they better than mine will ever be.

I just feel like crap

I know am never gonna have perfect teeth but at the same time I worry if I dont that Ill have no friends, or even at some stage a boyfriend.

If a guy says "ooo you look nice" like it would ever happen anyway but i would just think there kidding or whatever.

Ugh

I know therea more important stuff to worry about in the world and in the LGBT comunity but still....

2. BudderMC

We tend to focus on what we perceive to be our most negative traits. It's called negativity dominance.

Yeah, I'd date someone who doesn't have perfect teeth. If I was dating for teeth, I'd find a pair of dentures.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

That's what I thought although I still find it hard to believe

4. BudderMC

^ think of it this way. If we're going strictly on physical attributes, why do you look for certain things in people? You get things like people who are in really good shape or are well endowed or whatever, because it's attractive to them AND it generally improves the conditions in which you get intimate with your partner.

In the bedroom, teeth shouldn't usually play any role - whether it's kissing, oral, anal, etc.

I'm sure there are some people who find teeth really attractive to the point it's sexually stimulating, but those are certainly the minority. Same thing probably goes for people who like biting during making out - minority.

No point changing yourself or worrying about pleasing a very, very small fraction of the population.

5. Minx

Of course I'd date someone who didn't have perfect teeth.

It's not like we really get to keep them when we're older. :slight_smile:

6. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is controversial advice but I'd say save up and get them sorted, at least whitened, if that's what you want. I had braces at age 18 and it was one of my best decisions! You're not too old and you can also get invisible ones now.

7. aeva

Of course I would. I wouldn't let something as minor as teeth spoil a good thing!! I may notice somebody else's teeth in passing, but I don't fixate on it, and it most definitely wouldn't affect my decision to date them. I had to have 5 adult teeth removed, then get braces when I was younger, because every single one of my teeth grew in very crooked due to a lack of space in my mouth. The only time I've been self-conscious of them (including when they were all crooked) was actually recently, when one of my front tooth got a huge chip in it.

I agree with Kgirl that if the condition of your own teeth really bothers you that much, do something about it! If you can afford braces, go for it! For the whiteness, you can try using the 'at home' packages, they actually work pretty well.

8. Eleanor Rigby

For one thing, I agree with Kgirl. If you'd feel better with whiter and/or straighter teeth, it might be worth taking care of this. Take an appointment with your dentist and talk to them about what they can do and how much it may cost you. Then it will be up to you to save some money to do some dental work.
    However, you should keep in mind that nobody is perfect and that everybody has things about them they don't like. Did it occur to you that when you're talking to someone, admiring their teeth and worrying about yours, the person you're talking to might do exactly the same, focusing on your hands, eyes, hair, legs... whatever and worrying that their hands, eyes, hair, legs... whatever will never look as good ?
    If only perfect people could date, very very very few people would have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Nobody is perfect, but our flaws are also part of our charm :slight_smile:

9. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Teeth really are a nonfactor to most guys unless its terrible (like stereotypical redneck terrible) and missing a few. If I had to pick I actually kind of like a bit less-than-perfect teeth, it's cute.

10. LoveMusicPoetry

Well I hope teeth aren't an issue for most people, because mine are an absolute mess. I've got over my teeth insecurity though, so hopefully, if it doesn't bother me, then it won't bother other people. I'm done with constantly worrying about them. I haven't got about £5000 to get orthordontic work done and tbh I can't even be arsed with the hastle. Whoever I meet will have to take them or leave them. Love me, love my fucked up gnashers.

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2013 at 09:53 AM ----------

Anyway, fucked up teeth can be cute, they add to the character of a person's face.

11. ameliawesome

of course! perfection is subjective. either everything is perfect, or nothing is perfect. i like teeth that have character.

12. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd date someone who doesn't have perfect teeth, now, missing teeth is another story. If they're visibly missing then I'd have to hear the story behind it. For instance, my ex friend's brother punched her and knocked her two front teeth out. So, she's been insecure ever since, but she does have a boyfriend. I had braces for 2 years, but I didn't wear my retainers like I should have. And now, my teeth have shifted around a bit and they're not exactly white.

Therefore, I cannot want something that I do not have myself. There's someone out there for everyone, you just have to find someone who will accept every part of you.

13. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I need mine touching up but they are not bad, years of drinking dr pepper/pepsi are to blame during the times when having a boyfriend was in the back of mind.

Probably in answer to your question, I watch some youtube videos and think christ there are some obnoxiously white teeth on there and think that they look obviously unnatural and not that attractive. Natural is what I am looking for.

14. meetmehalfway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If people expect any aspect of a person to be "perfect", they're likely not the kind of person worth dating anyway :slight_smile:. As others have said, you very likely are just concentrating on what you perceive to be your flaws. If you got them fixed, who's to say you'd prefer them anyway, or that others would? Or maybe another problem would come to the forefront.

It's certainly irrational to imagine that you're have no friends or a BF unless your teeth are perfect :slight_smile:.

15. June Cleaver

Yes I have dated guys with less than perfect teeth before. Mine came in perfect and normal white. I get them cleaned at the dentist every 4 months and they stay that way. I have never gone for the whitening thing in fear of screwing up what is allready good. I draw the line if he has rotten looking teeth, that is a turn off. As long as what is there looks reasonable, I am ok with it. Up here in North Florida lots of guys have missing/ rotten teeth. I know one guy who has one upper front tooth left and it is half rotted off. I could never kiss him, but we are friends. From your pic, I don't see why guys would not find you attractive. I am plain to look at and I get hitt on all the time and you are half my age! June

#15 June Cleaver, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  16. FunnyMonkey

I don't have perfect teeth, so yes I would I really don't care as long as they are clean that's all I ask. =) don't worry about it if someone does not like you for the way your teeth look they have the the problem not you. in my opinion

17. MerBear

my ex scarlett's teeth aren't straight but mine are and i kind of feel bad since i gloat about them a lot but it was worth it . my 2 front teeth use to be like this ^ but now after i got braces then got my 2 front teeth bonded , they are pretty straight.

i would date someone who doesn't have perfect teeth but my ex would tell you a different story considering i was teasing her about her teeth one time which was funny but she took it too seriously

anyways , i wouldn't worry about it. your fine the way you are (*hug*)

18. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People notice your teeth if they're really nice or very odd, such as having an accessory tooth sprouting from your gumline (no offense to people who have one, but one must admit it's noticeable. Not devastating to looks though :slight_smile: ). Otherwise people just don't notice or care.

For one thing, under most circumstances you only get fleeting glances of people's teeth, so what's most important really is that they're nice and clean (so be extra careful brushing and rinse with a whitening wash if you have yellow teeth). There's also the fact that even if someone does notice your teeth aren't straight, trust me, they won't care.

Thinking about any of my crushes, I honestly can't recall what their teeth looked like specifically, and as we all know, you always remember almost every little detail about a crush. The teeth are just so irrelevant, and tend to be more or less the same in a passing glance, that people don't remember them.

What's more important by far is finding a hairstyle for your face type (usually round for square/rectangle faces, square for round faces. Essentially contrasting your face), and of course, practicing good hygiene. Being smelly/having dirty teeth WILL turn people off. Otherwise you'll usually find you'll at least meet some people who think you're cute even if you look rather bland, and of course, you can further tweak your looks to increase the chance of people finding you attractive.

19. Bolin

My teeth aren't perfect, so I really don't care what someone's teeth looks like. Even if my teeth were perfectly straight and as white as pearls it wouldn't matter to me. At my old job, I found one of my regular customers to be very attractive, and he had very crooked teeth. Didn't decrease his attractiveness at all to me. :slight_smile:

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people