1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions, And Uh...Stuff. Please. Thank You.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 28, 2013.

1. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l've seen a lot of talk here about the way dynamics in a relationship change with age.

"Age" being like, 40. People have remarked that it's less about attraction and more about who you can see yourself relying on, trusting and feeling one with.

l don't interpret this as meaning attraction does't matter at all but l'm wondering how much. How much does that change, how much less important is it to truly find your partner sexually/physically attractive?

l do see a lot of people coming out after 40 and 50, and even older so it must still matter to some.

l feel foolish and short sighted seeking out only women in the meantime, since my ignorant youth is slipping away pretty rapidly. l could be a different person in 10 years.

l already have/had a strong emotional connection with men. l could have seen myself being lifelong "friends" with the men l was with...best friends.

l still didn't like kissing them but if this becomes less important later on l don't want to throw tons of potential relationship aside.

lf the sex and attraction also becomes less important to them, l don't know what we'd really be losing out on.

So. Yeah.

Experiences?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed a bit of this in my own experience. A couple years ago (somewhere between 2-3 years, not sure exactly when), I noticed that a kind of "switch" seemed to have been flipped for me. Before that, if I saw someone attractive in public, on a dating website, or whatever, that attraction was all I needed to get roped in. I'd get all nervous - "should I talk to them? What should I say? I hope they think I'm attractive too!" - or just give it a shot and see what happened. I went out on some dates with a couple people that were just horrible ideas - pure wastes of time (for me at least, given what I was looking for) because we had nothing in common beyond the fact that I thought they were hot.

But, again, recently I've noticed that perceiving a random person as attractive is fun, but almost a non-event. Like admiring a nice tree or some cool architecture. I might still strike up conversations with them, but before I know for a fact that we have something in common, I won't be attracted to them on any kind of personal level (sexual, romantic, etc.).

When I do date someone, though, that's not to say that I find sex uninteresting. I was in a relationship for the majority of last year, and to put it politely, yes, sex was still a priority for me with him - but sex (or the idea of sex) just wasn't what roped me in to begin with.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    So would you say you can now feel legitimate attraction to someone who doesn't turn you on? Immediately, or really ever in the very technical sense.

Or perhaps you can now become turned on by qualities you like in the person after getting to know them?

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that I always have the potential to be turned on by someone I'm attracted to, I'm just not going to be turned on by them until I get to know them better. I'm too aware of a few key deal-breakers and turn-offs to get too excited before I know anything about them.

Put another way, it's not that I would eventually become attracted to someone that was initially not my (physical) type at all. Out of the people that are my physical type, though, I'm not going to be immediately interested in all of them, necessarily - I have to learn something about their personality, interests, etc. that will draw me in, so to speak.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, l see what you're saying. Sort of demisexual.

l feel like l border so close on being bisexual in that l can like a man for his personality and feel something deep as far as that's concerned. But not demisexual or bisexual because it never turns into "real" attraction.

But l fear becoming more like a demisexual with age and finding out l didn't really need the physical attraction. l could go out and find a guy l really like right now, easily if that's going to happen.

And they are generally easier for me to bond with anyway, with women it's so physical l and that could lose some importance.

:goodevil:

6. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm tempted to write a lot about this - maybe later. For now, I can say physical attraction has become decreasingly important for me over time. I'm with a man, but more attracted to women, so this has worked out. Sex tends to be more mental for me anyway, so all those other things have always mattered.

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    when l did consider myself bisexual l knew l strongly preferred woman and that l was ''gay'' but rationalized that a bi person can like one sex based on other factors.

Which is true, it just turned out that it wasn't enough for me. So if that changes l could easily be like the bisexual person l saw myself as.

Would you say you ever had zero physical attraction to men? As a general rule, for extended periods of time? or forever lol.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that as time has passed, I have become more demisexual, I really have noticed that I need that emotional attachment in order to get the sexual attraction right.

I am in my early fifties, yes, time has a way of attenuating the fires of youth, but I find that everything, not just sex or companionship, everything has become more...complex...the analogy of a well-aged whisky is apt, there are complex flavours and blends of impressions that combine into something quite...interesting...

But when it is right, it is really right! I can be as passionate and sensual as any youth but with the added benefit of knowing how all the parts work, and combined with certain...skills...wow!

9. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think regardless of age, it comes down to who you cannot see yourself living without. I'm 26, and I've noticed that since I've gotten older, I'm more aware of what I want for myself in the future. I used to think, given that I'm homoflexible if I could just meet the right man, I'd be okay. But how long should I continue that thought process? I'm somewhat content being single at the moment because I'm trying to get my life together. However, I'd rather wait it out and end up with the right person instead of just settling. Everything is important to me, from looks to personality to intelligence. You can't have one without the other. I can personally attest to that and it does not work. Physical attraction is very important.

#9 pinklov3ly, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks pinkLovely. That's the thing, l see myself with men more easily aside from the physical aspect.

l don't think l have what most gay people with the same sex. Seeing threads about people having gay relationships but not wanting sex, for me that's all being 'gay' is so l think l must not be a homosexual.

l either don't view it the same way or am just not gay. lf l fell for a woman who didn't want to have sex l wouldn't understand.

l can't really imagine what there would be aside from the physical aspect. l wouldn't completely disregard the emotional aspect but l have that with men...much, much more easily.

Or it may not even be "emotional" like l think it is, but the communication is easier and for me that might actually be more important.

l would say l'm probably wrong about being gay and that l'm a bisexual with a physical preference for women. l thought for sure my past relationships would have worked out if so.

We had no other conflicts, it could be that they weren't the right men but l doubt it.

11. Obviously I can't say for sure, as I don't know you, OMGWTFBBQ

But I'm wondering how long ago you admitted to yourself that you could be gay.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but it happened to me--I went into sort of a bargaining stage after the thought that I might be gay first appeared. I had myself nearly convinced that I could stay with my boyfriend and get married and eventually the fact that I wasn't sexually attracted to him wouldn't matter because we just got along so well...
    But I'm still gay. And I left him because he deserves to be with someone who is attracted to him in a way I couldn't be--the way he was to me.
    So, you can get into a relationship with a guy if you feel like that's what's best for you, but don't do it just because it's safe. That's what I was trying to do and it wasn't fair to the guy who deserved more from me.

12. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, l know what you're saying. l came out to myself in like...1998. So, l've just gone back in the closet several times (never completely outed in real life).

l get discouraged though, and even more so lately. lt's not just here, l'm another forum that isn't even LGBT but there's small love and relationships section.

A lesbian girl was talking about being asexual and it reminded me of seeing the same thing l see here. She said she "knew she was a lesbian" but had never experienced sexual attraction.

So this leads me to believe l'm looking for the wrong thing.l just see this too often, there's no way other lesbians want what l want in a relationship.

Do l want to be with a man who's attraction l can't return fully, or fall in love with a woman who isn't fully attracted to me?

l'd be hurt in the latter situation, in the former situation at least l can still have the emotional connection with the man and look forward to a shift in the relationship where sex may not be so important later on.

Looking for only women, l lack the emotional attraction so many seem to be looking for and there's really no reason they'd be attracted to me if they aren't sexual types.