1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I or don't I?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rarar, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Rarar

So, simply put, me and my (gay) friend have been talking for a long while on Facebook Messenger, and have become quite close in a short space of time. I really like him and I wanna take our friendship to the next level; I wanna ask him to be my boyfriend.

However, there's one issue. My family. They're extremely homophobic and would definitely not approve (see my other thread "Went straight back in"). But the thing is, I really, really want to go out with him. Do I keep quiet and not say anything, or ask him out and keep the relationship a secret? I really like him, but I'm terrified about what would happen if they found out that I had got into a homosexual relationship.

:help::confused:

2. On one hand, you shouldn't ever allow your family to get in the way of your love life, but on the other, your love life shouldn't get in the way of your family.

You could keep your relationship secret; it can be easy enough. If you think that entering this relationship may put you in any danger though, you need to seek professional advice. I recommend you get some anyway, as this is one of the most awkward positions a teenage could be in. You should be able to get free counselling from your school if you choose to do this.

It's a difficult situation. Whatever happens, continue speaking to your friend, and evaluate whether this relationship could be harmful in this way or not.